Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Dyspraxic - and my job is shit for it

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I have just been diagnoised with dyspraxia and while over all it isn't too bad in itself, I was told the job I am doing now is the wrost job to have for someone in my condition. They said the job will make me stressed out and ill.

Trouble is this is my first job, proper job not temp job, since I left uni. Its ok money, decent conditions in a place I know and a good pension scheme. I am also looking to move out and so cant be without money.

what do I do?

Comments

• Options
    What kind of job is it?

I have dyspraxia and so far have been a cleaner, a bar person and I've worked in retail and Burger King.

There are all sorts of jobs you can do, your first job doesn't have to be your last.
  • Options
    who told you that, and do you agree?
  • Options
    its admin and finace work at a university, basically I am a secretary to a lot of people, academics, marsters students, phds as well as directors plus doing work for my line manager.

the psychologists that diagnosed me told me this and I dont love my job and I can see her point but I am kinda apprehensive about just giving up my job.
  • Options
    what do they suggest instead?
    and what reasons did they give?
  • Options
    didnt suggest anything.

said when conflicting requests come in I'll get muddled and so stressed and so ill.
  • Options
    I'm dyspraxic and it depends on how much you have it really. Doesn't sound too good those folk being all negative..I'd look on it as a challenge.
  • Options
    And have you found it to be a big problem so far?
    I guess it depends on how severe your dyspraxia is or what sort of dyspraxia, but I think you will know better than anyone what you can cope with.
    Must be difficult.
    My son is dyspraxic and he has difficulties with multiple instructions a lot, so i can see what you mean, but maybe there are coping mechanisms you could find?
  • Options
    Rachael wrote:
    I'm dyspraxic and it depends on how much you have it really. Doesn't sound too good those folk being all negative..I'd look on it as a challenge.
    Oh crap I've just realised you tried to add me on myspace and I denied you. I realise who you are now!

Basically there is no set way for somebody with dyspraxia to be. We all have different abilities at different things (for example, I find reading difficult because of memory and tracking with my eyes... I can't ride a bike very well, on a bad day my speech is a bit shitty... However, I am articulate to a degree, I can type quite fast, I can cook fairly well)...

If you aren't enjoying your job then I'd look for a new one. However, if you're in a university they should be aware of your dyspraxia and also should accept it as universities are normally very good with disabilities and learning difficulties.
  • Options
    Oh crap I've just realised you tried to add me on myspace and I denied you. I realise who you are now!

aha its okay, cheers for adding me back :)
  • Options
    yeah I see what you mean, it varies.

I mean my reading is excellent, like really fast and accurate although if it requires to be done with a task, then I can go too fast and make mistakes.

You wil propbaly see a few typos in my posts coz of this a swell, co-ordination.

I cant ride a bike either and I htink the problem with me is like physical tasks, liek an object put in front fo me, I dont get it as easy as others.

They said my upper brian function, the academic part, was super high, like top 1% in the country but my working brain function is only average to good so they kinda clash a bit. I could understand the most abstract of theory but I couldnt understand how to work a coffee machine.

I guess for this job thats tricky coz its task and breaking htings down which I am slo not so good at. Tend to see the end product rather then th ebits in between.

But academic workj is quite boring an dtakes a long time before you get to a level where you can earn a decent living on it and thats also more debt like as well with loans and so forth.

I have only just been diagnosed with this so I guess I have developed coping methos naturally. They said my long term memory was excellent but my short term wasnt so good, but I develope dmethods to counter this. Unconscious I think.

my hand writing is pretty poor, brain is working too fast for me to write it all. Gues it matters less with computers nowadays tho.

have to see what they say when I go back to work.
  • Options
    Yeah, apparently I'm in the 98th percentile or something... I mean wtf, I'm crap at reading!

I don't know if it would hinder your job, but you should make your workplace aware of it so they cut you some slack. In my experience, a lot of people who have some difficulty in some areas are very motivated and hard working and that makes for a good employee.

I think being able to see the 'end product' sounds like you are a motivated and hard worker.
  • Options
    Be dyspraxic.......get on with it.
  • Options
    Doomsday wrote:
    I have just been diagnoised with dyspraxia and while over all it isn't too bad in itself, I was told the job I am doing now is the wrost job to have for someone in my condition. They said the job will make me stressed out and ill.

Trouble is this is my first job, proper job not temp job, since I left uni. Its ok money, decent conditions in a place I know and a good pension scheme. I am also looking to move out and so cant be without money.

what do I do?
    Is your terrible spelling and punctuation a symptom of your illness?
    Is'nt dyspraxia one of those "need a good kick up the arse kind of illnesses" ?My Mum works in the field of special educational needs and finds that the problem usually lies with the parents.Maybe you should give them the said kick up the arse,get on with your job and stop your whinging.
    Do you want to hear about some real problems?As Jim Royle would say,"Dyspraxia my arse!"
  • Options
    I assume you are trying to take the piss?Telling us that we "propbaly" will see some typos in your post only leads me to say,why don't you edit them like everyone else.
    As I've said elsewhere,dyspraxia my arse.
  • Options
    Right, enough of that.
  • Options
    minky wrote:
    get on with your job and stop your whinging.
    Do you want to hear about some real problems?

Well you've made a great entry to theSite haven't you.
    Unless you've got something constructive to say, why don't you and your homophobic gob fuck off.
  • Options
    thanks

have to say, I was a bit surprised by those posts. Com here for support and advice and get that. Not nice.

in answer though, I have been "getting on with it". I have been "getting on with it" for 22 years. I only just got diagnosed last week, and since this is something you have since you were born an dnot soamething caught, I have been getting on with it all my life.

I came on here to get soma advice coz it turns out my job isn't great for some1 with dyspraxia but I aint keen on just quitting so wanted some advice.
  • Options
    Well you won't be hearing that kind of insult again hopefully

As to support - hopefully those who've posted before will be able to help more. In addition the Dyspraxia Foundation run an adult support gorup

http://www.dyspraxiafoundation.org.uk/services/ad_support.php

and also offer advice in the workplace that you might find helpful to read

http://www.dyspraxiafoundation.org.uk/services/ad_employees.php
  • Options
    thanks!
  • Options
    i'm a bit dyspraxic, i know some people who have the social thing really bad and so can't really be in social situations and that's when it really effects your work.

if i were you i wouldn't worry until it becomes an issue, cos it might not.
    i'm not relly sure what your doctor means, but i guess, from experience, that you'll get frustrated with things you can't do and that makes you stressed etc and stress can make you physically ill.
    if you like your job there's no reason to quit, especially if you haven't had a problem with it so far. to be honest most doctors are morons and just cos they say something might be a problem doesn't mean it will be. they said to me i'd have difficulty driving and i passed first time...
  • Options
    really??

coz I wanna drive but am unsure now. I mean, I did learn a bit a few years ago but I stopped mainly coz I couldnt afford it but before I did, on the last lesson I didnt do well and I still find it tricky understanding gears and clutch and stuff.

well I dont love my job, much rather do something else but its ok for now, I wanna earn more money and do something more interesting but it took awhile to get his job so kinda hard to give it up.

I am not sure how it effects me socially. I mean I dont think it does overtly but then again I may not know. I dont feel that comfortable in social situations so I guess it is..