Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

alcohol units

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
42 units of alcohol / week for a woman
is that normal?
is that sensible?
i figure thats roughly what i'm taking atm.
ETS: don't quote RDA's / charts at me... but just generally speaking.
where would you draw the line.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I think 14 is the recomended amount for a week for a woman.
    otter wrote:
    is that normal?
    is that sensible?
    how many units do you think you drink during a night? are you a binge drinker or a regular drinker?
    That does seem a little excessive, can't be good for your liver. are you just out partying and having fun, or do you find you're needing it?
    otter wrote:
    is that normal?
    is that sensible?
    ETS: don't quote RDA's / charts at me... but just generally speaking.
    where would you draw the line.

Have a look here
    seems above the recommended, but i personally think the recommending intakes are a bit of nonsense, kind of unachievable...but i understand why they are there.

i know i can usually drink more than my weekly allowance in one day and am classed as a binge drinker, but i guess most people are, unless you have a few pints everyday, which i dont do cos dont like drinking if i have work the next day
    otter wrote:
    is that sensible?
    No.

I drink very ocassionally, about 8 units a month.
    Yeh the reccomended allowances are a load of crap in my opinion.
    However, yes 42 units of alcohol per week is slightly excessive.
    It isn't a sensible amount if you think about how much work your liver has to do converting all the alcohol into acetaldehyde and acetic acid...
    It's a good idea to cut down so you don't need to drink so much to get drunk in future, so you save some money and ultimately live longer to be honest!
    Its not really that healthy, espically if you having it over two or three days worth of binges.
    satehen wrote:
    That does seem a little excessive, can't be good for your liver. are you just out partying and having fun, or do you find you're needing it?

yep. i do find it hard to get though a day and not drink. i don't have a drinking problem as such. its just i have started recently to get a bit concerned about how much i am drinking. i use alcohol, so whenever i'm stressed i cannot really cope without it.
    otter wrote:
    i do find it hard to get though a day and not drink. i don't have a drinking problem as such.

Sentence two is contradicted by sentence one.
    Sentence two is contradicted by sentence one.
    what i meant was i'm not an alcoholic
    But if you find it hard to get through a day without it?
    otter wrote:

Define alcoholic.

Different people have different views of what an alcohol is. My view is that an alcoholic is someone who relies on alcohol and finds it hard to cope without, which is pretty much how you described yourself. You may not be a 'hardcore' alcoholic who wakes up in the morning and downs a bottle of Vodka, but even certain people who don't drink alot of alcohol in one go but who feel the need to have a glass of wine with every meal or need to have at least one pint down the pub every night are technically addicted and therefore alcoholics.
    There are different levels of alcoholism, and although you may not have a major drinking problem, it does sound like you do have a dependancy and are a minor alcoholic, whether this is a problem or not is up to you.
    pill 'ed wrote:
    Define alcoholic.
    my mum was an alcoholic and used to drink herself unconscious every day. most of the time she was completely out of it. nothing mattered to her besides alcohol. she never did anything at all besides drink. - and thats my view and definition of an alcoholic ~ i've seen that first hand. and thats not me. although i am seeing my drinking as a problem atm i seem unable to not drink.
    I drink approxamiltely 109 units a week, haha must be good for me! :shocking:
    I had around 15 units this week.

I'm not a big drinker anymore, getting off your face can get boring after a while.
    otter wrote:
    You describe a serious alcohol problem otter,alcohol problems only come in one size.You're probably not alcoholic but really need to address your intake.
    Despite what many people say,doctors do actually know what they are talking about ,when they give recommended limits.
    My dad is a recovering alcoholic, who used to drink 42 or more units per DAY.(litre of vodka plus beer plus visits to the pub)but thankfully his physical health seems OK, though him and I would disagree on his mental state.
    But seriously ,he is one of the lucky ones, don't take chances with your health.
    I fear for what the future will bring to our generation of booze lovers.
    Yerascrote wrote:
    I drink approxamiltely 109 units a week, haha must be good for me! :shocking:
    Hello you cheeky Irish bastard!Why is it that I believe your 109 units a week?.Your liver will be pickled and you will burn in hell(just as the nuns told you),
    Meg
    otter wrote:

What you said suggests that you are.

Alocholism isn't defined by the amount you drink but by your reliance on it. A smoker is someone who craves cigarettes, not just those who smoke 40 per day.

You sound like you are addicted to me and it would be better for you to seek help now rather than to wait until you are drinking a bottle for breakfast.