Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

birthday cards v Xmas cards

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Why is it we wait for the day of our birthday to open the cards but for Christmas we don't?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Because lots of people get Christmas cards and they aren't as special as Birthdya cards?
    I would imagine lots of people get birthday cards also..?
    icey wrote:
    I would imagine lots of people get birthday cards also..?

yeh but saying that not everyone knows when your birthday is whereas everyone knows when christmas is.
    What I meant was that lots of people get cards for Christmas, but only one person does on birthdays. That, and the whole Christmas period gets stretched out for so long, and birthdays are generally just the one day.
    I open birthday cards as and when I recieve them tbh. I dont always wait until the day unless someone specifically requests that i do.
    moon not sure if you was directing that to me but in my post i was agreeing with you :S
    FlameOn wrote:
    moon not sure if you was directing that to me but in my post i was agreeing with you :S

No, I meant it for icey, I know you were :)
    Christmas is a time of year not just a day well sort of anyway and you dont just have christmas decorations up on christmas day. so we open them anytime in the run up to christmas... Anyway my mum hides my birthday cards and only gives them to me on my birthday :P but thats cos some of them have money in :D
    I don't wait for birthday to open the cards... if they come in the mail that is... I didn't know anybody did.
    I think it's because people want to use their christmas cards as part of their festive decorations. So they put them all out and then everyone can see how popular they are for longer :p I know people put birthday cards up too, but not for as long (maybe?).
    Christmas cards go up with the decorations. I only like opening my birtday cards on the day itself, and my mum tends to hide the one that arrive earlier. I've only had one christmas card so far anyway.
    I love birthday and Christmas cards.

I keep some of my Christmas cards to open on Christmas day, mainly the ones from my grandparents because they usually have money and scratch cards in them.
    People send birthday cards through mail??? I've never received anything like that... And don't really want to tbh.

We used to open the Christmas cards on Christmas, but now we are too lazy to send people so that we open them just to know who to send to. :lol: I didn't send a single card, received one I think.
    So if you have relatives in Scotland they will come all the way down to give you it in person rather than sending it in the post?

Iv'e always opened mine on the day, and like someone else says my mum will hide them all anyway. I don't think it'd feel right opening them before.
    squeal wrote:
    So if you have relatives in Scotland they will come all the way down to give you it in person rather than sending it in the post?

I wasn't quite sure, but if this was aimed at me I'm Icelandic. :D And we don't send birthday cards. I've never heard of that custom. Don't give anybody a birthday card unless it's accompanying some kind of a gift and I'm showing up at a birthday bash. :P
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    J wrote:
    Well, if I was an orthodox Christian living somewhere like Egypt then it'd be Christmas day on the 7th of January thus making it the day of my birthday and I would be able to open both christmas card and birthday cards on the same day! HooRa!
    Unless it's different depending on the country (and I don't know it), Orthodox Christians have Christmas on the 25th December like everyone. And they're using the Gregorian Calendar too, so that's still the same day.

And on the topic: I don't see a reason to wait until your birthday to open a birthday card, if it came earlier. The wishes are probably still valid a few days before. ;)