Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

The Doorbell

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I just want to let off steam...

We have a doorbell but nobody used it. Everyone just knocked on the door and we would never hear them, so they would practically knock it down to make themselves heard. I've recently put up a sign asking people to use the doorbell or we won't be able to hear them knocking and this has worked HOWEVER people always seem to ring it once, wait about, oh, three seconds, and then ring it again, and another three seconds, and ring again. Why haven't people got any patience?!

I always use the doorbell if someone has one as I figure they got it for a reason. If I don't hear it ringing or there is no sign of them coming after about 20 seconds then I will knock.

So, do you have a doorbell, and if so, do people ring it over and over again, even though you heard them the first time?!

Comments

• Options
    yes we have one, and when they decide to actually use it, some are far too impatient to wait for me to get down the stairs etc, but thats the same with knocking. I go straight there and they are gone half the time. Does my friggin head in.
  • Options
    Tweety wrote:
    I go straight there and they are gone half the time.

Aye, when we first moved here people seemed to call around all the time. It's a small house but they didn't have the patience to wait 30 seconds whilst I came to the door and often I would open it to see some salesman half way down the garden path. Once a group of old ladies called round and refused to wait whilst I found the key to open the door! Weird.
  • Options
    our doorbell you have to wait for ages between each ring. which is really annoying when your waiting outside and you know no one has heard it. Sometimes we get signals from someone elses doorbell (its wireless) but we cant work out whose cos there never seems to be anyone at any of the houses down the road
  • Options
    I bloody hate it when people knock instead of using the doorbell. People do it all the time in my shared house and we just dont hear it. Most of the time i dont answer the door anyway (numerous sales people always call at our house) unless i know im recieving a package, which makes it even more frustrating because then i have to walk all the way to the post office when they dont ring the bell :mad:
  • Options
    I have an intercom at the gate, which people feel the need to hold their finger on until they get some sort of response. Even more annoyingly, because my flat is number 10 and the apartment complex is at number 10 on the road, everyone rings my bell because half the time they have no idea which flat they need to be at :mad:
  • Options
    This thread makes me :blush:.

Because we have a doorbell - but it doesn't actually work. So I'm glad people DO knock the door!

We really should take it down I suppose. OK, that is on the to do list for January!
  • Options
    We have a doorbell and when my cousins come around (mum's brother's children) they feel the need to ring the doorbell until someone answers it. If I need to ring anyone's doorbell for any reason at all, I wait a few minutes or so for them to come to the door.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    There's a doorbell and everyone uses it.
    I've never heard of people knocking when there's a doorbell. :eek2: :confused: