Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

really upset at work

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I sit right next to the smoking room at work. Although it's closed off, the smoke seems to seep though and it has been making me cough really badly the last few days. I'm asthmatic and cigarette smoke makes my throat tighten and feel wheezy.

They said they would close the smoking room in November but the smokers moaned so much that they didn't bother. Their rights come first but my health at work doesn't seem to count for anything.

I spoke to my boss and she didn't seem bothered, we have a company nurse so I may ask her but it just seems there's nothing I can do. I can't concentrate on work because it smells of fag smoke and I hate it so much.

I have posted before about this but it's really upsetting me lately and seems to have got worse in the last week. At the moment there are 3 people in there fagging away while I work, making me feel ill. :crying:

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    some non-smokers are never gonna be happy, people used to smoke in communal areas, they complain, they put them out the way and people still complain.

we currently smoke outside at work which doesnt bother me one bit.

have you asked to move desks or anything? if its making you ill they cant really say no.
    koe_182 wrote:
    some non-smokers are never gonna be happy, people used to smoke in communal areas, they complain, they put them out the way and people still complain.

we currently smoke outside at work which doesnt bother me one bit.

have you asked to move desks or anything? if its making you ill they cant really say no.

There isn't anywhere for me to move to and no one will swap with me anyway.

I have a right to complain if my health is being affected.
    yeah but if it is affecting your health, they will have no alternative to move you somewhere else, even Hitler would have done that.

otherwise they could have a court case on their hands.
    If they are failing to protect the health of their workers (and they are) then they have a responsibility to move you.

It's only until April 1 anyway, smoking in the workplace is getting banned then.
    Kermit wrote:
    If they are failing to protect the health of their workers (and they are) then they have a responsibility to move you.

It's only until April 1 anyway, smoking in the workplace is getting banned then.

Oh good I thought it wasn't till July. I will remind someone of that fact. Can't wait.

I've got more sensitive to smoke since breaking up with my ex (who was a heavy smoker)...don't think I could ever go out with a smoker again.
    PussyKatty wrote:
    Oh good I thought it wasn't till July. I will remind someone of that fact. Can't wait.

I've got more sensitive to smoke since breaking up with my ex (who was a heavy smoker)...don't think I could ever go out with a smoker again.
    Is it really like kissing an ash tray? :D
    HIT wrote:

Well I've never kissed an ash tray :yuck:
    I wouldn't kiss my ex straight after he had a fag but even if had chewing gum/brushed his teeth, the taste is still there.

I didn't notice how much until I kissed a non smoking guy and it just felt so clean and nice.
    Are you with a union? If you can't get anything changed by yourself contact the union for help.
    HIT wrote:
    I onced gave a blow job to a smoker and his cum tasted of smoke :shocking:
    Leigh had a quick look at his site. By law a smoking room must have a self closing door and not be propped open and it must have ventillation. The ventillation bit might just mean a window, but if smoke is coming out of the room i'd say it's due to inadequate ventillation. If either of the above criteria aren't being met, then i'd kick up a fuss about it PK r.e. Health & Safety.
    PussyKatty wrote:
    I'm asthmatic and cigarette smoke makes my throat tighten and feel wheezy........... making me feel ill.

Then take time off sick if it's bad. I'm sure they'll get their lazy arses into gear and do something about it then.
    Thanks for that rubber. The room is closed off with glass windows all round but it still comes through, not sure how.

I had to borrow someone's inhaler yesterday and have 5 puffs, that's the first time I have had to use an inhaler for ages. Not impressed!

I'm off now till Jan, will see what it's like when I go back.
    Randomgirl wrote:
    was he on fire?

my bf is a smoker, he only smokes outside though.
    The only time I ever really noticed it much was the 1st few months of pregnancy when it made me feel sick (along with nearly every other smell in the world)
    Im probably just used to it.
    Randomgirl wrote:
    :eek2:
    I really feel for you Katy. Perhaps you should have another word with your manager when you go back to work in the new year and ask for it to be made an official complaint or something? Where I work staff have to go outside to a special smoking 'bubble' in order to indulge.

I've noticed people who smoke always seem to have more breaks and they last longer. Funny that.
    Just to clarify, it is the 1st July 2007 that the smoking in workplaces and enclosed buildings (ie with permanent roofs and walls - anything more than a bus shelter, basically) ban comes into force.

I work in HR and have been working on our Company smoking policy for the last few weeks. I'll find you some links if you need them to fight your case - the Health Act, etc.
    Surely a smoker should have to sit there and not a non-smoker?