Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Bono gets honourary knighthood

Clicko

What a load of bollocks.

Humanitarian work? How about giving away some of the £400m+ that he's meant to be worth instead of making us feeling guilty for not living in the gutter. God I hate that man. Charity begins at home pecker-face.

I know citing an article from The Daily Mail is liking putting something like Wikipedia in an essay but this article has it spot on:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/femail/article.html?in_article_id=400188&in_page_id=1879
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    :lol:
    mind... have any of the 'honorary knighthoods' been absolutely justified? - no.
    doesn't really surprise me tbh.
    He doesnt deserve it, I was really pissed off when I found out. He does do charity work and promote good casues but he appears to pay fuck all tax and doesnt seem to want to donate any of it. Even a small percentage could make a lot of difference. The word 'hyprocritical' springs to mind, followed by 'what a load of bollocks'
    "...Tonight thank God it's them, instead of you..."
    What 'services' has he done to the music industry, exactly?
    To be honest, like otter says what other honorary knighthoods- and indeed, 'real' ones- are that much more deserving? Certainly concerning the arts, if you agree with the likes of Alex Ferguson and Michael Caine being knighted Bono is no different.

Bono has done a lot for charitable causes. There is a good point about him not being worthy of a distinction for dodging taxes, but then I suspect 90% of all people knighted would be in a similar position.
    What is an "honourary" knighthood?
    I think it's for people who aren't British and cannot get a real one.
    Oh right, thanks. I didn't realise you had to be "British" to get a knighthood.
    I don't begrudge his wealth but the bloke is a twat. Same goes for Bob Geldof who also rakes it in through business interests. At least Bono has some talent and has had some recent success. Whilst Geldof has milked I don't like Mondays pretty well if it wasn't for Live Aid and the 'charity' work he'd have drifted into obscurity decades ago.
    Agreed.

I don't deny that the guy is a talented musician and has a great voice. I personally can't stant U2 but I recognise that the guy is a great musician. However, using that to guilt-trip the rest of the world into feeling shit about living in a wealthy country is just plain wrong.

Hypocrisy - pure and simple.
    Of course, if you're rich, you've got to give all of your money to charity, or you're a hypocrite for suggesting that people should give money to a particular cause.
    It's weird though, he came from one of the most poverty stricken estates in Dublin, I suppose he let the publicity get to him.
    Of course, if you're rich, you've got to give all of your money to charity, or you're a hypocrite for suggesting that people should give money to a particular cause.

Not so, more a case of how much do you really need when you can see people suffering?

If you have £400m, why can't you give £300 away? Isn't £100m enough?
    Plus the fact that he pretty much bullies people into feeling sorry for Africa - people who have a tiny fraction of what he has. Wanker.
    Plus the fact that he pretty much bullies people into feeling sorry for Africa - people who have a tiny fraction of what he has. Wanker.

He really does the guilt card dosent he? "Look at all these poor africans, give your money to help them" He really should put his money where is mouth is, and not move his royalites company off shore so he can get even richer and not pay the tax he should.
    Not surprised really.

And I actually bought U2's new album for my sis. :p