Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

New Girlfriend

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
This is probably going to sound a bit weird, but not really talking to my parents about this sort of thing, ever, is making me feel a bit uncomfortable..

What do you peeps think is a good way to let them know i have a new girlfriend.. i really do think im thinking about this too much, lol

cheers

Chris

Comments

• Options
    can you just drop it into general conversation with whichever parent you feel mosr comfortable with? just something like "im off out now to see XXXX, who ive now started seeing!"?
  • Options
    Have you any reason to think they wouldn't take it well?

I usually just tell my parents straight out that I've got a new bit of fluff. Though I can just as easily wait until my mother asks, since she is nosy as all get out.
  • Options
    I wouldn't bother telling me, too much stress.

Especially if it's very new.
  • Options
  • Options
    I think you really are making a deal out of nothing, tbh.
  • Options
    I can understand what you mean and I don't think you're making too big a fuss of it, some people talk to their parents about these type of things less than others so I can understand the situation you're in.

I think someone mentioned just saying something like "I'm going to town with ...." - I'd just say that and wait for your parents to ask if she's your gf etc.
  • Options
    briggi wrote:
    I usually just tell my parents straight out that I've got a new bit of fluff. Though I can just as easily wait until my mother asks, since she is nosy as all get out.
    I'm same and I'm wouldn't really say I talk to my rents much about this kind of stuff. Names get brought up in conversation and they'll usually ask if its someone new I'm seeing and its either a "yes" if I'm seeing them properly, or "there just a bit of fun" if I'm sleeping with them.
  • Options
    My mam could always just tell.

When I was 16 me and my girlfriend used to walk home together at night and we had a kiss and a cuddle outside my house. Well, till my Mam was out late walking the dog one night and came back and saw us.

:o
  • Options
    Sofie wrote:

They said they feel uncomfortable talking to their parents about it so thats the problem. You don't know anything about the situation. Don't belittle other peoples problems and if you haven't got anything useful or nice to say then don't bother saying anything at all, its not very helpful.
  • Options
    If its serious then say I've got a girlfriend would you like to meet her? If its not serious yet and you don't feel comfortable then don't tell them :)

I always told my mam because we're really close, apart from once my new squeeze stayed over and I brought him to the breakfast table completly forgetting I hadn't told anyone about him! They were all like :o It was a tad embarassing, especially for him!
  • Options
    Haha you think thats bad, I met my current boyfriend because he works for my dad. I also now work for my dad. Then me and the boy started getting it on. Then I had to tell my dad that um, i was with um, dan? *runs*
  • Options
    Sofie wrote:
    i agree

ill just drop it in, just know ill get the spanish inquisition

haha

ta!
  • Options
    I've never told my parents I'm seeing someone in my life. They usually get the idea when I go out with the same person every time I'm free and they have to make her a cup of tea in the morning.
  • Options
    You're 22 I doubt your parents will be that bothered.
  • Options
    lea_uk wrote:
    You're 22 I doubt your parents will be that bothered.
    Ditto. At 22, surely you don't need to be sitting them down and telling them you've got a girlfriend....
  • Options
    kangoo wrote:
    They said they feel uncomfortable talking to their parents about it so thats the problem. You don't know anything about the situation. Don't belittle other peoples problems and if you haven't got anything useful or nice to say then don't bother saying anything at all, its not very helpful.

what the hell?:confused:
  • Options
    You just came accross as a bit mean and not very helpful. When someone posts a question or problem however trivial it seems to you its not very nice to dismiss it as making a big deal out of nothing
  • Options
    kangoo wrote:
    You just came accross as a bit mean and not very helpful. When someone posts a question or problem however trivial it seems to you its not very nice to dismiss it as making a big deal out of nothing

Agreed.

Sofie you wouldn't like it one little bit if your threads were responded to in such a manner; luckily the OP agreed with you in this case that it isn't a big deal. But that won't always be the case.
  • Options
    kangoo wrote:

It's true though - he really is making a big deal out of nothing.
    Sofie you wouldn't like it one little bit if your threads were responded to in such a manner;

Had it done plently of times before to me.
  • Options
    Ok then, if you say so. I think people have always given you excellent - and quite extensive - advice on here, but obviously you see it differently.

Even if you have been disregarded or given crap advice it doesn't mean that you have to extend the same goodwill to other posters. Obviously he didn't think it was "nothing" initially or he wouldn't have even bothered posting about it (?)!
  • Options
    I quite agree with briggi on this, i must say.
  • Options
    i just add it into the middle of a normal conversation then move on to something else so my parents know.
    i normally start talking about the person a bit first as a mate so they sort of know who they are/where there from etc. before i say were going out so then they don't ask me 100 questions about them when i mention them
    good luck x
  • Options
    I'm usually noted as talking about him a little bit more and my mother tends to go "Is that the new one then?" and I say yay or nay. Though she does jump to conclusions i.e. last year when I was in halls, I had a number of photo's of a male mate (mainly cause he was wearing pink shoes to a formal doo) and she assumed he was the bf and asked when they'd all be meeting him!
  • Options
    If I ever told my parents I had a girlfriend I think my mum would be happier about it than me and promptly pester me to bring her over / get married....

But at least she doesn't mind the gay thing, I guess.
  • Options
    In my case, she can tell. It's pretty obvious when i tell her i'm meeting the same person quite often.

As I have rarely in the past met a girl on her own with innocent intentions out of the blue, without a good reason, it becomes quite obvious.

"I'm seeing x tonight, byebye" is quite different from "I'm out helping a friend with her homework". Not that I ever help out with homework, but hey ;)