Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

What's the most expensive/poshest/strangest thing you've eaten?

Comments

• Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    budda wrote:
    I think the oddest food I've had was biltong which is nasty, or smoked eal which is amazing.

Ostrich?

That's nice.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    I agree with Vicky- the most expensive thing I've eaten was a breakfast at a motorway service station!

Little Thief.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I had some kind of truffle item on the side of my plate at a posh hotel when I was about 16. I thought it looked weird and didn't eat it! Little did I know..
  • Options
    Calamari (squid), tasted like rubber and gave me the shits for days. :yuck:
  • Options
    Wild boar proabably. My brother will eat pretty much anything, he had snails once :yuck:
  • Options
    satehen wrote:

I love calamari, though I wouldn't put it in this threads catagory, even the local pizza place has it as an appitizer :p. THe mans dad eats the tenticals though and the man loves escargo :sour:

I guess the weirdest thing I've had is aligator... deep fried :p I'm so bland and nonabnormal.

I was surprised at how many people said lobster, thats never struck me as expensive, posh or strange.
  • Options
    satehen wrote:

I :heart: calamari...its gorgeous.
  • Options
    Well, it was live for as long as it takes to crack it open and scrape out the insides... :lol: :yes:
    cheers for that, I hope it happens to you :D
  • Options
    Skive wrote:
    Ostrich?

That's nice.

No, biltong is too dry and chewy, any food they recommend you leave in the sunshine for a while to soften is wrong.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    I :heart: calamari...its gorgeous.

Definitely, either deep fried or in a salad is fantastic.

People seem to think eating rabit is wierd but I think its lovely.
  • Options
    i had kangaroo in Oz
  • Options
    I had calamari in batter for lunch, absolutely divine.

Rabbit's nice enough too. But rabbits are fluffy and cute so its immoral to eat them.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Rabbit's nice enough too. But rabbits are fluffy and cute so its immoral to eat them.
    Years ago my mum's ex used to make rabbit stew and I swear it is the vilest thing I have ever smelt in my life.
  • Options
    budda wrote:
    No, biltong is too dry and chewy, any food they recommend you leave in the sunshine for a while to soften is wrong.

Biltong is fucking nice! My mate is South African and he makes his own Biltong and sells it in a South African Shop. He's moved now but I used to have a smoke with him and then munch loads of biltong.

Wierdest food I've eaten was Frogs Legs and Snails with garlic in Belgium. Quite nice though.
  • Options
    I've had ostrich and piranha soup.

Both were yummy:yes:
  • Options
    koe_182 wrote:
    chicken face soup,
    :eek:

:lol: as if there is such a thing. Has it got all the face bits in, really cannot imagine it!!
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    But rabbits are fluffy and cute so its immoral to eat them.

:yes: I agree. I don't think I could eat something knowing it was rabbit. It just gives me the heebie jeebies, but saying that I am like that for a lot of meat - going on veggie me!!
  • Options
    ashlee wrote:
    :yes: I agree. I don't think I could eat something knowing it was rabbit. It just gives me the heebie jeebies, but saying that I am like that for a lot of meat - going on veggie me!!

:lol:
  • Options
    ashlee wrote:
    :eek:

:lol: as if there is such a thing. Has it got all the face bits in, really cannot imagine it!!

yup it was chicken soup and it had a nice little chickens head floating in it...was quite tasty, left the head however.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    But rabbits are fluffy and cute so its immoral to eat them.

The last time I had rabbit was in a Maltese stew, it even had the head in it cut in half, so you could see the inside of the head and its little jaw. Tasted devine, although my fellow diner did get a bit freaked when I worked the jaw and talked.
  • Options
    On the rabbit theme: in France me and my mum saw whole skinned rabbits in quite a few butchers and even skinned rabbit heads. :sour: Plus live crabs and lobstersvso you could pick your own fresh.
  • Options
    they have live crabs/lobsters at about 80% of the seafood places where I live

:yes:

I love to watch them :p I think they have retarded ones at a place I go to, theres always several just walking all over the heads of the others... maybe thats normal, I dont know but its funny anyways. I pick the lonley one so nobody misses him ;)
  • Options
    On the rabbit theme: in France me and my mum saw whole skinned rabbits in quite a few butchers and even skinned rabbit heads. :sour:

We used to have rabbit loasds when I was little, from the grainger market in newcastle. They had all the rabbits hanging up and I'd always choose the one I wanted, although my mam would get a prepared one for convenience. I don't think I quite understood what was going on, thought I was choosing a pet not my dinner?! We used to have rabbit stew and pie and apparently it was my favourite. I always used to eat rabbit and venison shot from my nans forest in scotland too or whatever animal was pissing off my uncle that day, although venison is a bit rank. Me and my mam are veggie now though
  • Options
    I havent eaten much posh food. Only been to an expensive restaurant once ad had lobster which was very nice.
    I didnt know Veal was illegal in this country. Wondered why id never seen it, when its so popular in france.
  • Options
    Rabbit is vile. :yuck:
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Probably just a steak, I think my parents ordered it for me when I was away from the table. I like meat but too much at once is just an overload.
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Skive wrote:
    Rabbit is vile. :yuck:

I'm inclined to agree. It tastes really fleshy and sickly imo. Although I'm not a meat fan at all.
  • Options
    **Helen** wrote:
    I'm inclined to agree. It tastes really fleshy and sickly imo. Although I'm not a meat fan at all.

I love meat and game but yeah, rabbit isn't the tastiest meat i the world... possibly the worst i have tasted out of everything i've eaten...
  • Options
    the strangest thing i've eaten is a chinese savoury snack made of dried meat and fish. it comes wrapped like a sweet and is a real suprise when you realsie its fish.
  • Options
    I love meat and game but yeah, rabbit isn't the tastiest meat i the world... possibly the worst i have tasted out of everything i've eaten...

:yes: I generally love that gamey taste, but Rabbit is just wrong, it even smells vile too.
    Weekender Offender