Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Do I end it?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hello,

Been in a relationship for 7 years now. I am in the position where I love my other half loads but feel that I am literally with him to be his personal slave. I am constantly running round after him and sorting stuff out for him. I did an errand for him at the start of the week which involved a 100 mile round trip and lots of faffing. I wanted to spend 10 minutes with him eating my dinner but that was too much for him! Got no thanks whatsoever! Just asking him to post a letter for me is too much like hard work!

I am at the stage where I can only really see a future on my own! My parents are very supportive and would have me home in a shot! My mum is really worried about me as she thinks he is emotionally abusing me! He constantly puts me down when we row (even does it jokily when we don't), he calls me lazy cos I don't constantly run around cleaning the house (his mum was a housewife so was always chasing around after him). He does not have a clue about how to do anything and critisises me when I do things for him not to his satisfaction.

I have had a break from him a

Comments

• Options
    Doesn't sound like something you should stick with if it's making you unhappy. Have you talked to him about the way you feel?
  • Options
    Yes, end it. Relationships aren't about being someones skivvy.
  • Options
    Is there anything more to this relationship than you being his personal slave?
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    I am at the stage where I can only really see a future on my own! My parents are very supportive and would have me home in a shot! My mum is really worried about me as she thinks he is emotionally abusing me! He constantly puts me down when we row (even does it jokily when we don't), he calls me lazy cos I don't constantly run around cleaning the house (his mum was a housewife so was always chasing around after him). He does not have a clue about how to do anything and critisises me when I do things for him not to his satisfaction.

I'm not reading any positives here so it sounds like you've made up your mind, but are unsure how to go about ending it. It's great to hear you have a supportive family behind you - but even so it can still be really tough to come to terms with a break up - especially after such a long time. If you do feel like you can't talk/work things through this article on saying it's over gives some excellent insights into how to do it in the best possible way.

Hope this helps - take good care ;)
  • Options
    This guy is using you and emotionally abusing you. Get out before your self esteem is so shattered that you think you can't do any better.
  • Options
    satehen wrote:
    Get out before your self esteem is so shattered that you think you can't do any better.

Exactly. This is exactly the situation my mum is in now.
  • Options
    satehen wrote:
    This guy is using you and emotionally abusing you. Get out before your self esteem is so shattered that you think you can't do any better.
    :yes: Definately.

I was in a relationship like that for 3 whole years. I ended up in such state and I truly believed I could do no better. When I did get out of it and entered a new relationship, I was overwhelmed with actually being treated how I should have been and wrecked it:rolleyes: My self esteem really was non-existant. This is why I would advise not jumping into another relationship for a while if you do decide to break up with him. I needed "me time" and going into new relationships so soon was a bad mistake for me.

My advice to you darling is to get out of it now whilst you can. You can do so much better than this guy. It sounds like he is using you and controlling your every emotion.

I was in this situation a year ago. A year on I'm 100% happy, confident and have such a better life. I have lots of new friends, a new job, etc.

You don't sound happy. Although it will be hard leaving him, it sounds as though its the best thing for you to do. Good luck :)
  • Options
    normally I am all for relationships and think people give up 2 easy but it sounds like a right, ungrateful, ingnorant, manipulative sod that deserves to be dumped.