Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Giving mooncup another shot

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    each to their own.
    Gotta do something with it though, and failing a hysterectomy, thats gonna involve collecting the blood somewhere somehow.
    Not much point getting squeamish over it.
  • Options
    Another reason why I don't use tampons. Yuck.
    So what do you use? 'Cause that leaves pads, and to me that is surely the most disgusting way of the lot? Yucky >.<
  • Options
    Maybe you have the wrong size?

I got used to mine and now love it.
  • Options
    Yesterday was all going swimmingly. Except it leaked 4 times :mad:

3 was because it was full! full 3 times in 24 hours! isnt is supposed to hold a third of your period blood?!?!?!?!

the 4th time was when i was in bed, maybe i jiggled it around? think i'm getting the hang of it though
  • Options
    thats a heavy flow! no harm in using a panty liner too on your heaviest days I guess. It shouldnt leak in bed though. Im assuming you havent got it far up enough. It should kind of form a seal against your cervix, which would mean it wouldnt leak even when horizontal, but it does sound like youre getting the hang of it. Well done for the perserverance!! Once you get the knack its sooo easy.
  • Options
    I was just in bed again and it leaked :( it says its supposed to sit quite low. Doesn't seem to leak unless I'm in bed though

This isn't even that heavy for me. I've never been able to use pads because they won't even last 15 minutes on my first day
  • Options
    im a bit flummoxed really, unless youre not putting it in right. You kind of almost have to fold it to get it in, and im surprised you could get it in without doing that as it makes it more of an easier size, then push it up towards your cervix towards the top, and when you release it, it should kind of pop open and form a seal around your cervix - youll know when its formed a seal as you wont be able to get it out easily unless you squeeze and bear down to break the seal as I said earlier.
    Its that seal that is protecting you and making the flow go into the mooncup and not spill or overflow, being that its non absorbant. If it hasnt sealed, it will leak.
    Its normal to feel like its sitting low, but the top of it should actually be fairly high. It just feels low cos theyre a bit bigger than a tampon.
    I dont actually think the pic on the mooncup site of how to use it is particularly accurate. Either I have a very short vagina or that mooncup needs to go further up.

If its just irritating to practice when youre on and bleeding lots, its worth remembering though that because of the nature of it, unlike tampons, its perfectly safe to practice with it even when youre not bleeding.
    When youve got it right, with the seal and everything, i think youll know.
  • Options
    kangoo wrote:
    I was just in bed again and it leaked :( it says its supposed to sit quite low. Doesn't seem to leak unless I'm in bed though

This isn't even that heavy for me. I've never been able to use pads because they won't even last 15 minutes on my first day
    Hrm odd...

Mine leaks if I leave it in for ages... Are the little holes around the seal open?

Mooncup has tiny holes that you can push through with a pin if they are sealed.. Maybe that's the problem... Or maybe you aren't pushing it inside of you enough.
  • Options
    I've got the hang of it I think, it still pinches coming out though. It doesn't leak in the day just in the night!
  • Options
    maybe your flow is just too heavy to cope overnight without a towel too? or do you think its leaking when its not full?
    yay for getting the hang of it the rest of the time tho.
  • Options
    Yeah it leeaks when its not full at night/ Sometimes when I've put it in a bit of blood will come out too, but only a tiny bit. Its all very strange

I don't trust it 100% yet but its still a million times better than tampons :thumb:
  • Options
    kangoo wrote:
    Yeah it leeaks when its not full at night/ Sometimes when I've put it in a bit of blood will come out too, but only a tiny bit. Its all very strange

I don't trust it 100% yet but its still a million times better than tampons :thumb:
    I hate tampons... With their icky dangly bits of string eew
  • Options
    tampons are horrid. I always found it annoying how you have to hold the string out of the way when you wee otherwise you wee on the string, but that invariably meant i accidently peed on my fingers.
    I really think mooncup is a great invention and id advise anyone to give it a shot . Its not always difficult to get the hang of. I got the hang of mine straight away.
  • Options
    I got the hang of mine straight away.

Grr :razz:

Tampons are so wrong. I always weed on the string by mistake

I must say that by the end of my period I was so much better at using the mooncup and there's only a few problems I have which I hope will be ironed out next period :yippe: