Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

lingerie

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I was thinking about setting up a new biz venture next year and I'd like your thoughts on lingerie. Is it popular? Would you only buy it from a high street shop where you could try it on, would it bother you buying online etc?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    i think its quite a competetive market, i presume you have a supplier which can supply cheap enough for you to compete? i think the main reason people buy off the net is cheapness and convienience. get those 2 down and you could be a winner.
    Yes I have got some suppliers, a couple supply to some well known stores, plus the price is right. This thread is more about what others look for though.
    To bother selling on the internet you need to have a decent profit margin or its just not worth the effort. imo the classy and expensive stuff is already covered by companys like ultimo, figleaves and ann summers. The cheap lingerie would only sell if your prices including delivery were cheaper than the high street.
    Can you realistically beat primark prices?
    If you find a niche then you will be fine- a good niche would be selling bras for bigger cups, as most shops seem to stop their ranges at a D or a DD.
    Somewhere that sold cheap but nice 32C's would do me. Looking at the £5-10 bras in the market (I know, but I'm skint), they all started at a 34. Ended up spending £15 on one in New Look, but it's pretty.

Saying that, I do buy pretty much all of my underwear from La Senza, or Marks for the practical stuff. TBH once I know it fits, I'd buy, provided the prices were decent enough. Not sure I'd order before trying at least one bra in the range on first.
    I wouldn't buy underwear off the net, I think it's important to try it on and see whether it gives you 4 boobs/armpit boobs, etc.
    I would only but from the shops, even then trying to find a nice 38B bra can be difficult. I tend to shop in marks because now where else I've tried can I get bras to fit me properly.
    I never try lingerie on, that's just unhygeinic! I know my sizes so i have no need to try it on and i'm happy to buy off the internet.
    satehen wrote:
    I never try lingerie on, that's just unhygeinic! I know my sizes so i have no need to try it on and i'm happy to buy off the internet.

I know my sizes but I still think they vary slightly. Some "uplift" bras don't do much uplifting and I would rather know first.

I don't think it's unhygenic, I mean the knickers always have those sticker things on them and I would rather try them on than risk not fitting and have to take them back. Having said that I don't often try on pants but always bras!
    i try on lingerie first. Id never try on knickers though without still wearing my knickers at the same time!

as for bras i agree each bra make and shape is different i always try on
    satehen wrote:
    I'm assuming you still try on trousers/tops in shops? If I'm right to assume that, then what's the difference??? :chin:
    I try bras on most of the time. I dont try knickers on, but I have to wash all my underwear before I wear it anyway.
    Even in the same shop two different styles of bra will fit differently.
    In Marks and spencers now they wont even measure you, they just see how different bras fit when you try them on, because theres no continuity of sizing.
    I got measured in M and S and had to do the "jiggle test"
    what fun :)
    I do like to try mine on before buying, as I find it hard to find 38/40 E bra sizes that fit properly, but i have also bought from online and been pretty pleased...
    Like someone mentioned, bigger sizes that look sexy/pretty are pretty hard to find..
    I dont mind online, as long its no hassle sending back if they dont fit...
    PussyKatty wrote:
    "jiggle test"

????
    I try bras on most of the time. I dont try knickers on, but I have to wash all my underwear before I wear it anyway.

I should hope you wash all your new clothes before wearing them!

I'd buy it online, as long as it has a good return policy. I rarely try on clothes in the store as usually they all fit the same, but will not hesitate to return if they aren't what I thought. I think that would be the most important thing.
    my_name wrote:

i never wash new clothes before i wear them! are you meant to? i don't know anybody else who does either :confused:
    I don't, as I'll often buy something to wear out that night so there wouldn't be time to wash and dry it. Some people are just hygeine freaks or maybe they have sensitive skin.

I always get clothes from the back of the rail as I figure less people will have tried them on!
    Just think of what clothes go thru before you buy them. Not just people wearing them, but the shipping, with chemicals such as fromeldhyde to prevent mildew in shipping... the handeling what happens before, the enviroment... and if not for health reasons, the unusually stiffness of new clothes I'm sure is to die for... :yuck: Its not just hygene freaks, its not just other people touching them... THats just outright nasty.
    my_name wrote:
    Just think of what clothes go thru before you buy them. Not just people wearing them, but the shipping, with chemicals such as fromeldhyde to prevent mildew in shipping... the handeling what happens before, the enviroment... and if not for health reasons, the unusually stiffness of new clothes I'm sure is to die for... :yuck: Its not just hygene freaks, its not just other people touching them... THats just outright nasty.

In that case there's an awful lot of 'nasty' people around.
    I don't really care to be honest, my skin hasn't dropped off or anything.
    I only wash charity shop buys before wearing them, half of the reason I buy new clothes is so I don't have to do any laundry and can leave things festering in the washing basket :razz:
    I won't buy lingerie online. I have to try on at least 20 different styles, just to find a couple of bras I'd want to buy.

Oh and I've never washed anything I've bought new from a shop before wearing it. Of course, second hand clothes are just nasty if unwashed, so of course I wash them first. But if I'm shopping in Urban Outfitters, then nah..... don't wash it first!

Plus, shrinkage is a huge issue when I wash clothes. If I didn't wear them first, I wouldn't know how much they've shrunk in the wash!!
    small back sizes = win
    PussyKatty wrote:
    I don't, as I'll often buy something to wear out that night so there wouldn't be time to wash and dry it. Some people are just hygeine freaks or maybe they have sensitive skin.
    Just my under wear normally. I just cant wear unless its been washed. I dont normally care about other stuff.
    I think you should say something like: The sizing of the bras on this site is most similar to marks and spencer or wherever. Because of the way different shops have such different sizing and so people are more likely to know what size its going to be.
    or, a new way of sizing bras, like the back size as it actually is at smallest closing and stretched fabric at largest clothing, cc of cups, space between the middle of cups, width of cup, width from outer cup to outer cup and then the heinght of fabric from centre point of cup too. Bit like glasses sizes.
    my_name wrote:

No way, its the only time my clothes ever look ironed!