Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Round robin letters and other yuletide annoyances

:banghead:

Just what is it that makes people think that just 'cause it's Xmas everyone is interested in what their great uncle's dog's chew toy has been up to this year/their brazen showing off about their new bathroom/unexpectedly high gas bill and their brand new birdbath. Fair enough if you've done anything remotely interesting this year but since that is very rarely the case... please, no more!

What other Chrimble "traditions" get on your tits?
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    briggi wrote:
    :banghead:

Just what is it that makes people think that just 'cause it's Xmas everyone is interested in what their great uncle's dog's chew toy has been up to this year/their brazen showing off about their new bathroom/unexpectedly high gas bill and their brand new birdbath. Fair enough if you've done anything remotely interesting this year but since that is very rarely the case... please, no more!

What other Chrimble "traditions" get on your tits?

cards with family pictures on

Round robins crack me up...I wrote a joke sarcastic one about my family last year which entertained for a while.

I hate it when they list their children's GCSE's. who sodding cares, show offs.
  • Options
    What's a round robin? Its not one of those godawful three page long xmas letters complete with disgustingly cheesy family picture on the top and the entire of word cliparts xmas collection pasted on any free blank space larger than 1cm. Cos if it is I hate those.

Dear Mr Smith and Family
    Well what a year its been! Molly has had head lice eighteen times this year and the dog has rabies. Jonathon has impregnated three girls and we are all very proud. Such a free spirit, and only aged ten!

WHO FUCKING CARES?!
  • Options
    kangoo wrote:
    Dear Mr Smith and Family
    Well what a year its been! Molly has had head lice eighteen times this year and the dog has rabies. Jonathon has impregnated three girls and we are all very proud. Such a free spirit, and only aged ten!

:lol:

POST OF THE WEEK
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    RubberSkin wrote:

POST OF THE WEEK

:yes:
  • Options
    RubberSkin wrote:

POST OF THE WEEK
    :lol: Definetley!
  • Options
    Awhh :blush:
  • Options
    The next door neighbours (who you see once a year) bringing over a bottle of wine for Mam and Dad and a selection box each for the kids.

Wake up Mr and Mrs Jack, our balls dropped years ago and WE'RE BOTH IN OUR TWENTIES.
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Bri-namite wrote:
    The next door neighbours (who you see once a year) bringing over a bottle of wine for Mam and Dad and a selection box each for the kids.

Wake up Mr and Mrs Jack, our balls dropped years ago and WE'RE BOTH IN OUR TWENTIES.

You are *never* too old for a selection box. In fact, Christmas wouldn't be Christmas without a Cadbury's selection box :yum:
  • Options
    You are *never* too old for a selection box.

Leigh's got one from Ruudy and Bert :D
  • Options
    I love selection boxes. At least they still get you something.

I don't mind round robin letters, I like finding out about Great Aunt Gertrude's false teeth, septicaemia and thrush. Lets face it, its more interesting than Chrimbo telly.
  • Options
    noone sends me round robins. Noone even sends me a bloody christmas card LOL.
    Actually thats not true, I have two christmas cards, one from my mum and one from my friend.
    Lenny has about thirtybloodyfive of them :S
  • Options
    Round robin letters- why is it that the people who send them always have kids who have just aced their A levels, got places at Oxford and are doing an astonishing amount of charity work in between their second holiday at St Tropez and being bought their first ferrari. Why can't normal people ever write them? Why?
  • Options
    Xmas cards in general. A waste of time, money and card.
  • Options
    BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    noone sends me round robins. Noone even sends me a bloody christmas card LOL.
    Actually thats not true, I have two christmas cards, one from my mum and one from my friend.
    Lenny has about thirtybloodyfive of them :S
    I dont get round robins either. I would quite like to get some post that wasnt a bill tbh. Id send you a card scc, but i have missed the last post now. :( just steal Lennys and then write your name on the side, people will think theyre for you.

To Lenny and Abbie

Mirry ChrIsTmas

Lot and L o Ts of love

Ma ry
    xx X x
  • Options
    PussyKatty wrote:
    I hate it when they list their children's GCSE's. who sodding cares, show offs.

People actually do that? :lol: pricks.

What really got to me was a colleague of my father, who had made an article about he and his family's holiday trips this year. They had everything from Ibiza to Niagara falls, and they wrote tonnes about their experiences bla bla bla.

Who cares, really? WHO? I know for sure i don't give a rat's ass about ther jovial vacation. Such a self-centred thing to do, impressive really.

;) /rant over
  • Options
    Am i the only one here who likes to hear what friends have been up to?
  • Options
    I like to hear about it, but only to feel smug about how tragic they are and I'm not because I haven't sent a letter like that.

We've had 3 so far this year, they are all so twee it's silly.
  • Options
    Blah wrote:
    Not the ones that don't give enough of a shit to phone and chat every now and then.

To be honest though, they're no more self-indulgent than a live journal or myspace. So most of the people moaning about people sending these are doing exactly the same thing all year round.
  • Options
    Blah wrote:

I wouldn't mind it if my mates sent them to me (none do like because there are much more important/better things to do than write letters about what you have done this year) but it is when like great aunties or other people you don't give two shits about send you them and boast on and on about some bollucks. That's when they are bugging!
  • Options
    Blah wrote:

Of course you aren't.

But it's verging on rudeness to go merrily on with your life all year until mid-December, when you suddenly decide it's about time you inflicted reams and reams of pointless blathering onto everyone you know and their pet toad. As (I think) IWS just said, these are the people who you never hear from through the year - unless they have won the nobel prize or are featured in the birthdays column of the local rag - who use the opportunity to gloat [mostly about things I wouldn't even bother telling the hairdresser] ad nauseum.

It would be a little better even if they scribbled a note about their life in a card, but the card usually isn't even personalised and just says 'Seasons Greetings' followed by "love so and so and family"... and then out drops a Times New Roman inscribed sheet of A4 or ten. Argh.
  • Options
    briggi wrote:
    It would be a little better even if they scribbled a note about their life in a card, but the card usually isn't even personalised and just says 'Seasons Greetings' followed by "love so and so and family"... and then out drops a Times New Roman inscribed sheet of A4 or ten. Argh.
    "Dear friends and family..." not even your fucking name.
  • Options
    This is true :yes:
  • Options
    briggi wrote:
    and then out drops a Times New Roman inscribed sheet of A4 or ten. Argh.

Its usually comic sans because theyre so 'jolly'

They are gay as fuck but I do love to have a nose at other peoples private, and unbelivably boring, lives
  • Options
    I have never heard of such a thing. No one would bother sending me one anyway though. I've received two crimbo cards so far this year, I presume from the jolly coloured envelopes. I'll get around to opening them... about the same time I open my bills *stuffs them in overflowing bills drawer* bah humbug!
  • Options
    Bunnie wrote:
    :( just steal Lennys and then write your name on the side, people will think theyre for you.

Good thinking!!!
  • Options
    Me and my family were talking about this last night, as dad got one from neighbours to the school he works at... he doesnt even know these people!!

Its so stupid... its a chance to gloat.

Mine would be as follows :

Dear Family

Its great to hear that your children have fantastic jobs and thousand dollar scholarships into uni. It's just spiffin'.

What a year its been for us. Dani broke her arm in January and now again a couple of weeks ago.
    Mum has had an incomplete fracture on her ankle and now is limping around in a moon boot. She also has back and ankle problems.
    Nana broke her hip and is still a bit strange from the meds...
    And to top it all off, my first love broke my heart not long after telling me that he wanted us to live together.

Hope you're well.

Merry fucking Christmas and a Happy fucking new year.
  • Options
    My mum writes a few letters but she does personalise each one. I cant stand Xmas cards much, I've only done six this year (work can swivel if anyone thinks their getting one)
  • Options
    Dear friends and family.

in an effort to avoid last years back lash of horrid, and often disgusting responses to my round robin letter last year, I have endeavoured to change my ways.

This year you will be receiving 100% recycled christmas cards, recycled in the sense that they are the same cards I sent you last year, due to the fact that they were returned to sender, due to having an incorrect address on them.

Its almost as if you are all trying to avoid my christmas cards and letters, do you not want to know of my long and tired journeys, my adventures and quests.

Isn't my fault you don't believe in dragons and wizards, I spent last christmas either in a mine, or atop a lonely mountain.

Piss off if you think fighting off hoards of orcs, and details of the younguns first smoke of pipeweed bore you. It might please you to know that I'm dying off old age, can't be bothered with the small annoyances of normal people, and might even swindle you all out of your savings before running away to the grey havens to have a comfortable retirement.

Love Frodo Baggins
  • Options
    Woop! Go LOTR!!
  • Options
    I hate Christmas cards because you know you'll always get a shitty tiny one with Tigger on, where the person who sent it can't spell your name properly and doesn't even really know you anyway. :grump: