Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Ping: Thunderstruck

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Hi. I'll ask you this, since you sound like a useful guitarist. Do you have a wah pedal? What ya got and is it any good, cus i'm wondering which one to buy? I have an old dunlop crybaby, and people seem to rave about these, but I don't know why. I think it's junk because it doesn't have true bypass and it sucks your tone to nothingness...
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    I have a really old beat-up Cry Baby and it's fantastic. The tone is great and as long as you take reasonable care of it, it'll last a lifetime though they do take some punishment.

People rave about Vox wahs and rightly so but I personally prefer the tone of the Cry Baby.
  • Options
    I have a really old beat-up Cry Baby and it's fantastic. The tone is great and as long as you take reasonable care of it, it'll last a lifetime though they do take some punishment.

People rave about Vox wahs and rightly so but I personally prefer the tone of the Cry Baby.

Hmmm. Could mine maybe sound crap because I'm using a transistor amp rather than a tube?
  • Options
    Probably could just do with a clean.

Here is the inside of mine. I can't believe the newer ones are much different.

To clean the ratchet, get a cotton bud and clean all the hair/dust/general crap between the teeth of it. Then put a little vaseline on the cotton bud and smear it liberally in between the teeth which will lube it. DO NOT USE AN INDUSTRIAL LUBE LIKE WD40!! It will rot the insides!

To clean the pot, you need some special stuff called pot cleaner that you can get from guitar shops. If the people are nice, they normally have an open can of it and will give you a few squirts for free. This will lube up the connections between the ratchet and the pot. This stuff evaporates after a bit.

I serviced mine yesterday like this and it sounds great. No squeaking, just pure tone.

Let me know how it goes. If the problems still persist, get it professionally serviced but to be honest, Crybabys are build like tanks and so the problem shouldn't be major.

I use a valvestate amp (valve preamp, solid state power amp) and it still sounds great. Granted, most things sound better out of a valve amp but it shouldn't make that much difference.
  • Options
    Yeah that looks the same as mine. I will try a clean up, but I don't think it's this. It just sucks tone pretty horribly. Where do have it in your chain?
  • Options
    Guitar -> Wah -> Distortion -> Amp
  • Options
    Guitar -> Wah -> Distortion -> Amp

Yeah same here. Hmmm maybe I'll go for the true bypass mod i've seen on the net...
  • Options
    Hey. Brought a Boss Bluesdriver pedal today and fuck me, it's the best pedal i've ever heard. Sounds like you're a heavy player by your ac/dc username, you ever tried one of these? If not, you should...
  • Options
    I use this bad motherfucker.

boss_mt2.jpg

Integral to my set up along with me wah. Has the most versatility of any distortion pedal I've ever tried. Screaming shred <-> crunchy blues. It can do it all.
  • Options
    I use this bad motherfucker.

boss_mt2.jpg

Integral to my set up along with me wah. Has the most versatility of any distortion pedal I've ever tried. Screaming shred <-> crunchy blues. It can do it all.

Never tried one of those. I will give one a go next time i'm in the guitar shop. I've had a DS-1 for a long time and always thought it pretty ineffectual, but now I'm running it in tandem with the Blues Driver and the tone is unbelievable. And like you were saying with the Metal Zone, I've got a massive range of sounds now...
  • Options
    I have a cry baby and mine is superb. For distortion a DS1 and Dan Electro Pastrami, and an Ibanez PH7 Phase shifter. Considering replacing the DS1 with the blues driver, as the sound is sweet.
  • Options
    O_o wrote:
    I have a cry baby and mine is superb. For distortion a DS1 and Dan Electro Pastrami, and an Ibanez PH7 Phase shifter. Considering replacing the DS1 with the blues driver, as the sound is sweet.

Keep the DS1 and put it after the Blues Driver in your chain. The result is quite spectacular! ;)
  • Options
    Meh, too many pedals spoil things. Most amazing guitar players only have a couple.

Angus Young doens't have any.
  • Options
    Meh, too many pedals spoil things. Most amazing guitar players only have a couple.

Angus Young doens't have any.

I think there are pros and cons to both ways. I don't have many if you compare me to say, the edge lol - Mr effects. Yeah I looked up Angus's rig on the net and couldn't believe he doesn't use anything. Just pure volume...
  • Options
    Yeah.

He uses old Marshall 45 Plexis and as with all good tube amps, once you crank the volume, the natural tube distortion takes over and gives it a lovely sound.
  • Options
    I wish I had a Marshall Stack in my bedroom. No fair! :crying: :lol:
  • Options
    I do!
  • Options
    I do!

You do or you wish you do?!
  • Options
    You do or you wish you do?!
    He does, I believe.

Cunt.
  • Options
    Sadly I do.

I guess technically it's 1 1/2 stacks. I run the amp through one of the 4x10s as sadly I can only run one cab at a time.

The other 4x10 and 1x15 are awaiting the arrival sometime in the distant future of my Orange bass head which someday will be mine.

Needless to say, because it's big, black, fucking loud and has Marshall on the front, it looks and sounds the shit.

My parent/neighbour annoying rig :
  • Options
    BTW, like, sell the epi's, get a Gibson. You know you want to...(Nikki Sixx Sig tbird, mmm...)
  • Options
    Sadly I do.

I guess technically it's 1 1/2 stacks. I run the amp through one of the 4x10s as sadly I can only run one cab at a time.

The other 4x10 and 1x15 are awaiting the arrival sometime in the distant future of my Orange bass head which someday will be mine.

Needless to say, because it's big, black, fucking loud and has Marshall on the front, it looks and sounds the shit.

My parent/neighbour annoying rig :

Truly sickening...! :p