Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Giving Blood this Christmas?

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I first gave blood when I was 17 and in high school. I've given blood plenty of time since, once a year at least. The blood you give gets checked for every illness before it's used or not as it were.
    I've got a little card with my blood group and it says I am a donor, i carry it around in my wallet. It's a bit worn out now actually...
  • Options
    I've never given blood, will seriously consider it when I've got over my cold.
  • Options
    thats so weird I was researching it jsut yesterday. gonna do it :D
  • Options
    Allready done!
  • Options
    A group of us were going to go to give blood when I was at uni and we did the survey thing and only one person out of us was eligible (the rest of us had been shagging the natives on our GAP years etc so apparently our blood was manky or something).
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Fair enough.

I always find the rules about gay/bi men being banned from donation to be a bit harsh, but if they didn't do it and someone caught HIV, there'd be an uproar. And it does happen- a five year old girl in Melbourne got HIV from an infected transfusion about ten years ago, poor thing.
    not just gay men, its any man whos ever had sex with another man, or any woman thats had sex with a man thats ever had sex wih another man
  • Options
    they don't want short peoples blood either, apparently I don't weigh enough. I get why, but surely they could just take less blood from little people and then t'would be fine?
  • Options
    katralla wrote:
    they don't want short peoples blood either, apparently I don't weigh enough. I get why, but surely they could just take less blood from little people and then t'would be fine?
    same here, I'm too light
  • Options
    Blood is about 7% of your body weight, so if you weigh 60kg, it means you've got roundabout 4.2kg of blood, they normally take 500g, so that's an eitgth of your blood...
    Think about whether you feel like your body can take it.
    They do.
  • Options
    migpilot wrote:
    Blood is about 7% of your body weight, so if you weigh 60kg, it means you've got roundabout 4.2kg of blood, they normally take 500g, so that's an eitgth of your blood...
    Think about whether you feel like your body can take it.
    They do.

Er, I get it, but they could just take less blood from little people up to about an eight of the blood, same as...
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Everyone should go and do it, even being scared of needles isn't a good enough excuse!
    I have yet to EVER have a blood test as I'm so scared of needles. I was on the verge of having a panic attack last time I had a injection :rolleyes:

It doesn't help that with my Dad, they end up stabbing his arm about 10 times as they can never find his veins.

URGH. Needles. I would give blood but....:no:
  • Options
    Sadly i can't give blood. The price i pay for puttin it about eh.
  • Options
    so how much do you have to weigh?
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote:
    so how much do you have to weigh?

Over 50 kgs.
  • Options
    LacyMay wrote:
    Over 50 kgs.
    about 8 stone then
  • Options
    katralla wrote:
    Er, I get it, but they could just take less blood from little people up to about an eight of the blood, same as...
    don't you have to fill a pack though?
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote:
    about 8 stone then

Just under. 7st 12 it says.
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote:
    don't you have to fill a pack though?

Little packs for little people... Might not end up getting the same amount, but if all the little people who would otherwise be ok to give blood gave, then that would make it worth it, surely?
  • Options
    I'd give blood this Christmas, but at 47kg, I don't weigh enough for now. Last time they didn't weigh me, and I wasn't aware of my weight (must have been of a similar weight that I am now) and the after effects i.e. losing my breath after going up one flight of stairs slowly, and almost passing out numerous times in public, were not pleasant, and not worth the risk, so I'm paying particular attention to how much I weigh in future. Hopefully in the next year, I'll be putting on some muscle weight, so things may change.
  • Options
    I've not quite been back from the states for 28 days either....i might have some virus from mosquitoes, lovely.
  • Options
    I have to wait until Jan until I can go again. I really dont go enough but I was quite ill in the summer and couldnt donate for months. They cant find my veins either, last time I went I had both arms bruised for a fortnight.
  • Options
    I gave in October...and it was my 10th dontion so i got a pin badge to say thank you :D A group of us went for the first time when we were 17 and i've been going as regularly as i can ever since :thumb:
  • Options
    what happens if they find it hard to get your vein. Where do they take it from?

I have had to have blood taken from my hand or wrist before.... not nice :(
  • Options
    they dont bloody want mine, although id be happy to give it if they did.

Same!

It's a shame, really, but I see their reasons. Still, I'm on the organ donor register which makes me feel a little better. But then of course I would have to die to be of any assistance!
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    How do tattoos affect you ability to give blood? I've never given blood but would happilly do it, if I could. My sisters been banging on about me doing it recently too.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Skive wrote:
    How do tattoos affect you ability to give blood? I've never given blood but would happilly do it, if I could. My sisters been banging on about me doing it recently too.
    You can't give blood within 6 months of having a tattoo (I believe it's just been relaxed from 1 year but I haven't checked it out so don't take this as gospel). It's in case you contracted anything from the needle - piercings likewise.
  • Options
    Yep, because there isn't a tatooists governing body, as I understand it, so you can have accupuncture if you go to the right place, but not a tatoo.
  • Options
    I've given blood before, it didn't bother me at all and I don't mind needles...

In fact I'm fond enough of them that I had a new piercing and now can't give blood for a while. Yaaaa boo.:impissed:
  • Options
    i've been meaning to give blood but the lorry that used to come here only goes as far as a village thats 40 miles away, plus im not sure if i can give blood or not as i have Crohns disease but im not sure, does anyone know if you can or not, if yes then i shall give some the next time the vans up here :yes:
  • Options
    i've been meaning to give blood but the lorry that used to come here only goes as far as a village thats 40 miles away, plus im not sure if i can give blood or not as i have Crohns disease but im not sure, does anyone know if you can or not, if yes then i shall give some the next time the vans up here :yes:

It should tell you on the giving blood website (which I've forgotten the URL for) whether or not you can give blood - well, it asks you various questions and when you give a certain answer it'll tell you can't igve blood.

I can't give blood (again) due to having another cold. Is it possible for me to give blood even though I self harm?:confused: