Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

"Feminine hygiene products"

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Inspired by kangoo's thread I was having a look at the Mooncup website and it says the Mooncup costs £18.99 and "You will probably spend this in six months on disposable feminine hygiene products." Seriously? There's no way I spend anything like that. So I started wondering whether I just have a really light flow... my period lasts 4 days, during which time I'll use about 10 pads. What about the rest of you? Does £18.99 in six months sound about right or way over? (I know this thread is a bit odd, but if you can't ask here, where can you?!)

Comments

• Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    You have a really light flow.

Mine used to be extremely heavy in that it lasted at least 7 days (sometimes up to 10) and heavy for 4 days. I would have to buy at least one pack of towels and another of tampons. So that would be about £4 a month for me.
  • Options
    I buy packs of 16 tampons, which are about £2.50ish (I dunno, I didn't buy the last lot). I last 5-7 days. I go through nearly 1 pack a month. So that's about £15 per 6 months. *shrug*.
  • Options
    I spend that in half. I think the box of 36 goes for about 7. But I'm with saz on the extra long and I use about 3/4 a month :(

Sometimes if they don't have my multi pack of that style though, I'll get a different one that has 18 for the same price, but then I use more than a box.

Damn, in 6 months I probably spend at least $40 just in tampons :\

I'm with you saz, mine lasts usually 7 days, day after the pill ends and the 2nd day I start back up :\
  • Options
    I dont really use many...my period is only every 5weeks, which lasts bout 4days, and i use about 5/6 norm/heavy pads..so to me it wouldnt seem worth it...but every1 is different
  • Options
    I'd spend tenner a month easy
  • Options
    my period lasts about 4 days and i use regular tampax on day 1 and then tampax light on the rest of the days. i dont even get period pain, just a slight dull ache on day 1.

i bought a different brand of tampons the other month and they had plastic applicators and were quite snazzy actually. much better than tampax for inserting!
  • Options
    I dread to think how much I spend atm. My period is rather heavy, and is every 4 weeks, and lasts about 8 days. Then about half way between I get a random day of light "bleeding" from my implant, so I use a couple more then. When I first had it in, I bled for 2 months straight, so I probably spent that much a month, let alone every 6 months!
  • Options
    nelly_bar wrote:
    I dont really use many...my period is only every 5weeks, which lasts bout 4days, and i use about 5/6 norm/heavy pads..so to me it wouldnt seem worth it...but every1 is different
    so on average you only use about one pad a day?
  • Options
    I have a 5 day period and get through about 2 packets of sanitary towels.
  • Options
    lipsy wrote:
    my period lasts about 4 days and i use regular tampax on day 1 and then tampax light on the rest of the days. i dont even get period pain, just a slight dull ache on day 1.

i bought a different brand of tampons the other month and they had plastic applicators and were quite snazzy actually. much better than tampax for inserting!

What else do they make applicators out of? :eek2:
  • Options
    my_name wrote:
    What else do they make applicators out of? :eek2:
    cardboard
  • Options
    Ick, really? That sounds very odd.
  • Options
    I am quite heavy and go through loads of towels, tampax arent usually good enough for me!
    And when i was pregnant i bled all the way through my pregnancy soo heavy it was awfull every month i dreaded it!!

xxx
  • Options
    my_name wrote:
    Ick, really? That sounds very odd.
    It's laminated cardboard.

By my maths I spend way less than that. I buy big boxes of supermarket's own brand applicator tampons (about 30 in a box), they work out about 5p per tampon and I use approx half a box a month. I think that's about £9 per six months.
  • Options
    Like a cereal box then? :p I'm just baffled, I must search for them and see!
  • Options
    my_name wrote:
    Like a cereal box then?

:yes:

But without the nutritional info.

I get about 4/5 pretty light days, so am well in the money. Probably spend about £1.50 a month, all considered.
  • Options
    I tend to run my pill packs together but when I do have a period it's usually 5 days of medium flow and 1/2 very light. I use a whole pack but buy in bulk when they have special offers in supermarkets. I probably spend about £5 every six months.
  • Options
    my_name wrote:
    Like a cereal box then? :p I'm just baffled, I must search for them and see!
    Here you are:

200px-Tampon_with_applicator.jpg
  • Options
    99p a month, so £6 for 6 months. But if you include panty liners, obviously more.

I can't use non applicator ones, annoyingly.
  • Options
    My flow varies a lot between bleeds but its normally about five days. I tend to get through about 20+ pads a month. So its easily a £3 pound a month even though I buy them in multipacks. I really need to try tampons again.
  • Options
    Mooncup is well worth the money seeing as it lasts for something like a decade, it's more hygenic and you can't feel it inside you.
  • Options
    I have mine for about 7 days, but only need tampons/pads for the first two days. Then pantyliners. So that's about 6 tampons a month, 2 pads and 10-15 panyliners. I buy in bulk too, so only buy about once every 6 months, except pantyliners, where it's every other month. So about a tenner for 6 months I reckon :thumb:
  • Options
    I get a Tampax multi-pack, With different sizes depending on how your period is, and A Packet of towels, Costs me about 4 pound a month, £24 per 6 months, :impissed:

I find the Cardboard applicators are better, They aren't as cold :nervous:
  • Options
    i can't believe people wear pads! i thought it was just something girls wore when they first started their period. i think they're gross and uncomfy!!
  • Options
    i have a 4 day period and use 10 tampons for that, and 3 nights worth of nightimte pads. Plus maybe a couple of pantyliners for the few days after. have no idea of a cost of that. My mum normally buys them when theyre on speacial offer! (not very ofton)
  • Options
    Yeah I think pads are gross I only used them for a few years when I was young and had just started. It's different for different peeps maybe some people prefer them or find it hard to use tampons. It took me a while to get the knack.
  • Options
    lipsy wrote:
    i can't believe people wear pads! i thought it was just something girls wore when they first started their period. i think they're gross and uncomfy!!

For all you girls who don't use pads, what do you use at night then? Tampons aren't recommended for more than about 5 hours...
  • Options
    silverhalo wrote:
    For all you girls who don't use pads, what do you use at night then? Tampons aren't recommended for more than about 5 hours...
    you can use them for up to 8 hours so i wear a regular tampon on my first night and then maybe a tampon for light flow on the 2nd night. my period is pretty light you see.

pads at night isn't bad, i just think they're gross to wear during the day.
  • Options
    I've always worn pads, I just cant get tampons in the right place for them to be comfy.
  • Options
    Littleali wrote:
    so on average you only use about one pad a day?

Pretty much, except day 1 and 2, where i use 2 pads each day...