Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

X Box 360 - questions.

hi again

I was thinking of purchasing a 360 instead of a PS3 and was wondering do you need a HD TV to play it and whats the difference between a core system and a premium system.

thanks
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Get a 360 mate. The Xbox was better than the PS2 and the 360 is gonna be better than the PS3.
    I'm getting a 360 for christmas and I don't know the answer to your first question but I do for your second. One is just the Xbox 360 and the other has wireless controllers but costs fuck loads more.
    XBOX 360 Core System:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Xbox-360-Console-Core-System/dp/B000AXFKGQ

XBOX 360:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Xbox-360-Console-wireless-controller/dp/B0007SV72A/sr=1-1/qid=1166364492/ref=sr_1_1/202-1450691-5341401?ie=UTF8&s=videogames

I think its the fact that PREM is HD ready, where as the other one aint

This is coming froms someone who dont own one haha:D
    Ah I see the difference.

Pill'ed: I sorta agree with you, after all the 360 gets the new GTA as sony don't have rockstar in their pocket and I fancy Crackdown and Gears of War.

Since I aint got a HD TV, I guess the cores for me.
    you dont *need* an hdtv for premium, i'd probs get premium just cause eventually you probably will get a hdtv
    not unless I stuble across £1,550.
    No, you don't need an HDTV to use the 360. You can connect to a standard def television or do what I do and use a VGA cable to put it through your PC monitor. Gives you a far higher resolution.

The premium 360 comes with a hard drive, wireless controller and wired headset. The core doesn't, not even a hard drive.

I have no idea where you lot are getting the idea that the core unit isn't high def.....

ETA: I will add that the text in some games is almost unreadable, due to the resolution. Dead Rising and, I think, Lost Planet are the main culprits.
    ETA2: And, the lack of hard drive on the core unit does affect the games. Loading times are a lot longer.
    was waiting for you to show up infinite.
    which would you recomend?
    was waiting for you to show up infinite.
    which would you recomend?

The premium.

The core unit is a false economy as you'll end up wanting to buy a harddrive and all the extra stuff anyway.
    well then I best save up all my pennies...
    Just thinking, a blanket recommmendation might not be the best thing...

If you just want to play the occasional game, don't really want to connect to Live! and you're not a huge games player then the core will be fine. However, you will need to buy a memory card, which is about 22 quid. If you want to save your games that is.

If you do want to download games from the Live! Arcade, have better performance, not have to worry about filling a memory card, want a wireless controller, want to download extra content for games/videos/demos from Marketplace and you'll play it a lot, get the premium.

You can still take the core online and play but with the way games are being updated and patched, it's a lot more hassle.

My 2p.
    well to be honest, I only really want it to play games offline and by myself so....

Just out of interest which one do you have infinite?
    and hows gears of war?
    well to be honest, I only really want it to play games offline and by myself so....

Just out of interest which one do you have infinite?
    and hows gears of war?

I have the premium but I play online a lot and I download loads of stuff from Xbox Live Marketplace.

I still reckon the premium unit is the one to get, I think it's highly likely that you'll want the hard drive at some point. The price difference is only 80 notes, a hard drive is 65 quid, a wireless controller is 32.99 and then you'd have to buy an ethernet cable if you ever wanted to go online....

Gears of War is ok. I finished it on the easiest setting then started on the 'hardcore' one but stopped playing because of Viva Pinata. It's an incredibley atmospheric and tense came but it's a bit one note at points. Hide, shoot, hide shoot...it's worth buying though. And the online is awesome.
    good good, thats one of the games I want, it looks real fun.

Well thank you all for your input, im off to look for funds to pay for said X box.
    I just remembered...GTA 4 is going to get two expansion packs after it's release. As far as I know they're being distributed via Marketplace, so you'd need the hard drive for them.

Althoug, it's highly likely that they'll be released as a physical disc, it might be a good while after they've been available for download though.
    fudge....

I guess Im stuck on this next gen, either way you go its not cheap.
    To be fair, GTA isn't out until October and I'd imagine that the expansion packs won't surface this side of 2008.

However, getting the premium future proofs you a bit. Unless you fancy having 10 memory cards with all your saved stuff scattered around them :razz:

I'm fairly sure that there will be a price drop for the 360 next year, depends how on desperate you are to get one really.
    Well im not the spoiled 10 year old saying "daddy, I want an XBOX 360!" 50 times a day kind of desperate. but im really eager to break my gaming retiremant is all, see I had a gameboy but that went to settle a debt and I sold my PS2 as its winding down now so at the moment im just playing megadrive games.

I'd just like to see what the hububs all about.
    To be honest if your going to do something you might as well make it worth while. I got my 360 recently in a very good deal worth £300 and that included Gears Of War Call Of Duty 2 and Pro Evo Soccer 6. I then bought the BOGOF so got another 2 games then found Saints Row on offer in Game for £30 so bought that too. All in all a week after owning a 360 I had already bought 7 games. Days ago i went down to Tesco and bought yet another game so after just a few weeks ive 8 games and a 360.

Definetely worth investing in the premium pack in my opinion.
    Worth the premium for the online downloads for me - being able to download the demos was great - and TV downloads should make it over the channel at some point
    well my financial situation has improved so im giving it some real :chin: ....
    I have the premium, great fun playing against mates over live, I only have dead rising and saints row, don't like dead rising really only played it once, Its the fact that there is only 2 save points in the game I just don't see the point.

Will probably get a few games next week probably Cod3 and having played the demo probably fight night 3.

Im not really a big gamer but fancied the 360 and luckily a friend sold me his which is the premium version including dead rising for £220 which is a pretty decent deal.
    dead rising is worth trying out again - the fear of getting back to a save point is really key to the game

Like a good zombie film - you can take on a hundred but they break you down over time
    And johnny - like others said - think about getting a monitor rather than a HD TV for hi-def without the huge cost
    I hate the XBox now. All you have to do is nudge the system while the game in playing and it scratches it to fuck :mad:.
    did you own one then Makoto?
    I was lucky enough to win an Xbox 360 Premium in the Pespi Cola/World Cup promotion they did earlier in the year. ;)

It's great! I sold my PS2 on e-bay and then bought games for it. I run it on a standard widescreen TV (31", 100Mhz) and it's not bad graphics. Obviously, an HD screen would be awesome with something like Gears of War. My mate has his hooked up to a 19" monitor and its excellent.
    went hunting for a core system today. no luck.

may not even find one before xmas.

no biggie though.
    went hunting for a core system today. no luck.

That's the universe telling you to buy a premium unit :o