Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Emergency or Lunch?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Again, I apologise for the rag this is linked to, but it's the only place which did the story that I know of.

Ambulance Drivers in "having lunch" shocker

Opinions?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Stupid, it should be upto the drivers.
    How accurate is the story?
    I can see both sides of the argument tbh. I think its good that there are protected breaks, but on the other hand, I see what theyre saying about emergency services needing to be on call at all times.

Its from the SUN...says it all really :yeees:

Spot on. They are expected to have a break and won't get called out. Unless of course there is a major incident then it's all hands anyway for all of us.
    I can see both sides of the argument tbh. I think its good that there are protected breaks, but on the other hand, I see what theyre saying about emergency services needing to be on call at all times.

There is a simple answer to that, have enough ambulances around to do both.

There is no reason why someone on a 12 hour shift shouldn't be having a break.
    If the ambulance staff are that fussed they could always opt out of the EWTD.

I suspect that if management tried to impose it Unison would have kittens.

Exactly. The thing is they can't just carry on with their break when someone really needs an ambulance.
    There is no reason why someone on a 12 hour shift shouldn't be having a break.

True, but don't they have a break (sort of) when there's no call outs or anything? (I'm, sure this is what my mum said to me - when she's not dealing with people, she'll have a cup of tea or something)