Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Co-codamol 8mg+500mg

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Are these tablets very stong?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    quite strong for over the counter, but you can get co-codamol that is much stronger on prescription.
    I assume it's 8mg codeine and 500mg paracetamol ? I used to get them for moderate-severe migraine pain. I 'think' they're the strongest over the counter codeine tablets you can buy.
    RubberSkin wrote:
    I assume it's 8mg codeine and 500mg paracetamol ? I used to get them for moderate-severe migraine pain. I 'think' they're the strongest over the counter codeine tablets you can buy.
    Think that's what they are. Got them on prescripion, I was hoping they would be stronger than over the counter.
    No, they are basic really ordinary over the counter medicine. You can get 12.8/500 over the counter.
    Don't be tempted to take loads to get a codeine buzz. The paracetamol will fuck your liver up first.
    Blagsta wrote:
    Don't be tempted to take loads to get a codeine buzz. The paracetamol will fuck your liver up first.
    lol no it's not for a buzz.
    I've got a condition that they have not yet been able to diagnose. I can feel it coming on so going to get my prescription today. I've ended up having to go to a&e in the past and they have always given me stonger stuff (codeine 60mg I think and I've had pethidine shots). This is the first time my doctor has prescribed pain relief so I was hoping they would be stronger than over the counter as everything I have purchased has never helped in the slightest.
    If its for pain then the GP deserves a slap, he's charged you £6.50 or what ever a script is now for something you can buy for pennies over the counter.

If you do need pain relief then I suggest (short term only) taking two Neurofen Max and two Solphadine Max, thats 50mg or so of codiene.
    budda wrote:
    If its for pain then the GP deserves a slap, he's charged you £6.50 or what ever a script is now for something you can buy for pennies over the counter.

If you do need pain relief then I suggest (short term only) taking two Neurofen Max and two Solphadine Max, thats 50mg or so of codiene.
    Yeah it is for pain relief, he's prescribed me 100 tablets, how many tablets do you get in a packet that you purchase over the counter?

I shall try what you have suggested, thanks.
    VinylVicky wrote:
    Yeah it is for pain relief, he's prescribed me 100 tablets, how many tablets do you get in a packet that you purchase over the counter?

You'd get 20 odd in a packet and they wouldnt be much more than a pound each. You've been conned I'm afraid, although the money is going to a good cause.
    I'm on POM Co-codamol, 30mg + 500mg. Except they make me ill because they're so strong :(
    I'm on POM Co-codamol, 30mg + 500mg. Except they make me ill because they're so strong :(

If they make you sick have you tried one of the other pain killers available, voltarol is quite good I've found and it lasts longer. Taramadol is another, although some people find that a bit too strong.
    I take 8/500s for period pain but sometimes it's just not strong enough. you can also buy dihydracodiene over the counter (paramol) which i found a lot stronger but made me dizzy.
    I'm lucky, I get prescribed DF's. :D
    budda wrote:
    If they make you sick have you tried one of the other pain killers available, voltarol is quite good I've found and it lasts longer. Taramadol is another, although some people find that a bit too strong.
    I'm prescribed Tramadol, but won't take it out of principle.
    I'm prescribed Tramadol, but won't take it out of principle.

Principle?
    Addiction. I'm cautious of taking co-codamol because it's addictive and because Tramadol is an opiat, I won't risk becoming addicted.
    Addiction. I'm cautious of taking co-codamol because it's addictive and because Tramadol is an opiate, I won't risk becoming addicted.

Of sorts, I know two people who were on it on high doses for ages and found no difficulty coming off at all. Up to you though of course.
    Nah, I know usually if you're taking for pain, they're harder to become addicted to, but knowing I have an addictive personality, I won't risk it really.
    budda wrote:
    As predicted I ended up in agony, luckily I bought what you suggested and it took the edge off the pain, so thanks for the advice.
    i've had that and it made me ill too!

Vicky you should go back to the doctors and get a higher dosage
    There's a few easy guides kicking around the 'net on how to seperate the codeine from the paracetomol, should you be that way inclined.
    I had 10mg + 500mg co-codomaol after an operation once. That and the anastehic made me a zombie for about four days.
    I had 30mg codeine and 500mg paracetamol for full on evil headaches (not migraines). Felt a bit monged out and it didn't shift the headache much either. Went back and whinged to another doctor who said the codeine can give you headaches anyhow and prescribed me the 400mg Ibuprofen tabs and 500mg paracetamols to be taken together. Sorted me out good n proper.
    Well I'm going back to the doctor's this morning, what Budda suggested has stopped working now, I've been in agony most of the wknd grrr. I'm having to take the day off work, I'm just preying that my doc gives me something that works and my work aren't pissed off :(
    well I went to the doc's, the tablets I have been taking have been making me constipated, causing other pains and givign me indgestion.
    So he's given me stuff to stop the side effects and told me to carry on with the pills, see him in the new year if I need to and wait for my hospital appt.
    Don't knwo if it's good or bad but my original pain isn't happening now.
    Codeine has a bad habit of causing constipation, lots of fruit and veg and high fibre diet is the best thing for it apparently (and the fruit and veg will do the rest of you good too).

Make sure you take it as soon as the pain starts, rather than waiting for it to become unbearable.
    Kiezo wrote:
    There's a few easy guides kicking around the 'net on how to seperate the codeine from the paracetomol, should you be that way inclined.

:yes:

and aye codeine sometimes comes bundled with the lovely extras of constipation and itchyness! :no:
    I likes codeine 2x20mg takes the pain away, for me anyway.