Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Retaining customer cards...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Its great isnt it! :hyper:

For those who dont know, if you are serving someone on the till and they try to pay by card but there is a problem with the it, the till will flash up saying 'declined' and sometimes ask the server to retain the card - If this happens, the card gets sent off and the server receives a cheque for £50 a few weeks later.

Has happened to me twice already this year and i got my 3rd on wednesday :D yay! Anyone else had this?

Comments

• JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Happened to me a ton of times on the phone, but we only get a measly fiver cos we cant take the card, only provide details or what phone number etc.

Out in the branch i've had it once and only got 25 quid though!
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I think it's sick taking pleasure in that kind of thing :p

I'd be utterly mortified if I was the customer OR the cashier in that situation; but that's probably just me.
    sophia wrote:
    I think it only asks the server to retain the card if there's some suspicion it's been stolen or used fraudulently, so it's not just for people who've run out of cash and had their card declined.

Whern I worked in a shop I used to feel terrible telling people their card had been declined. About as awful as I've felt on the times my card has ben declined. It's just a horrible situation all round really...why can't those pesky banks just let us buy stuff even if we haven't got the moeny to pay for it :razz:

I see! Well I still wouldn't like to be the server in that situation*, what if they go nuts when you tell them? Eek.

*Wouldn't fancy being the customer either of course, ha.
    sophia wrote:
    I think it only asks the server to retain the card if there's some suspicion it's been stolen or used fraudulently, so it's not just for people who've run out of cash and had their card declined.
    Cards can get declined without it asking the server to retain the card. It normally asks you to retain if, like you mentioned, there is suspicion of fraud but also if somene tries to use an old card that has been cancelled.
    Out of the three cards ive retained i think only one of them was dodgy - Some guy tried to buy about £200 worth of vouchers then attempted to use about 5 different cards to pay - none of them worked... :chin:
    icey wrote:
    Anyone else had this?

All the time when i ran an off license on Hagley Road. 3 bail hostels, 2, refugee type hostels and lots of hotels = lots of people walking into hotels and nicking cards then coming to my shop with 'em.

I got 11 in one week, earnt more from Streamline that week than me wages :D
    icey wrote:
    only one of them was dodgy -

'Natwest streamline can i have the card number please'

'Ive got a code 10 transaction'

'Transferring you to fraud department sir'

:D
    Haha, I never knew that. I'm going to read the screen a lot more carefully next time a card is declined at work (probably by 9:05am tomorrow morning - god bless Christmas for people not knowing what's in their account)
    If its a simple case of not having enough funds in their account it wont ask you to keep the card, unfortunately. Its really hard to act sorry for keeping their card and causing them embarrasment when you have a fat cheesy grin on your face. :D
    icey wrote:
    If its a simple case of not having enough funds in their account it wont ask you to keep the card, unfortunately.

Yeah I guessed (well, knew) that. But usually if the screen flashes up red, I just automatically assume it says "insufficient funds". I'm gonna check from now on :D
    icey wrote:
    Its really hard to act sorry for keeping their card and causing them embarrasment when you have a fat cheesy grin on your face. :D

And you're thinking. '50 quid 50 quid 50 quid' :D
    it's only when the card is stolen or something.

at tesco the till comes up with a thing saying 'call mr. robinson' - i've worked there 5 years and never had it happen to me before.

what i do get however is someone trying to use their husbands/wifes card and they're always shocked when i say i can't allow them to use that card. most other people i work with aren't observant so they don't check so normally they get away with it. damn annnoying.
    I've not had that happen yet.
    I've sadly never had a code 10 before :( always get good customers. Have declines though all the time then I get abuse when they say they used the card 10 mins ago :rolleyes:
    I used to love code 10's, made me feel all important and special :D
    Jazza wrote:
    I've sadly never had a code 10 before :( always get good customers. Have declines though all the time then I get abuse when they say they used the card 10 mins ago :rolleyes:

Yeah or the "I've just put LOTS of money into that account, and the cashier said it would be avalible straight away"

Well obviously it isn't, or my till would happily take your money. But of course, your bank taking "too long" to process your money is my fault, as a till girl in a shop completely unrelated to the bank.
    it's not always 'cause they don't have the funds.
    it's not always 'cause they don't have the funds.
    No I know, but I also get the "Well that cards BRAND NEW there's no reason for it not to work" and so on. Still isn't my fault :)
    yeh i get it all the time, they make out like it's YOUR fault. i just advise them to ring their bank and they're like 'well i just used it'. and? :impissed:
    Nikki* wrote:
    No I know, but I also get the "Well that cards BRAND NEW there's no reason for it not to work"

Usually the twits haven't activated it :rolleyes:
    I've only ever had one retained card, was pretty pleased with my £50 though! my friend works in a Co-op in a slightly rough area and shes had loads of them, shes making a mint!

I hate telling people their card is declined too, specially when they're confrontational about it, i hate it when they ask me to try it again. I usually go along with it and try and put it through again even though I know its still going to be declined. I usually say 'im really sorry about that, we can't override it if its been declined though, you'll have to ring up your bank and have a shout at them' or something lighthearted like that and they're usually alright about it.

iv never had my card declined actually. shocked though cos i never have any money. haha.
    sometimes i find a card doesn't work the first time but it will the second or third time..
    I never got to retain acard when I did retail. Did get a few declined that needed a phone call to authorise. I had my credit card declined a couple of times when I first had it, I just laughed it off and said it was a stupid new card and paid by another method. Twas embarassing though.
    normally when you have to ring the bank it's for store authorisation - nothing to do with their card being declined. it's a random check that the bank does. they wouldn't ring and say 'so and so has no money but will you let their card go through please'..
    My cards have declined so often now I don't care anymore.
  • JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Kermit wrote:
    My cards have declined so often now I don't care anymore.
    Blame Stagecoach...
  • BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    i never got one of these....i thought they were a checkout myth! in my 5 years of supermarket life, NEVER!