Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

God botherers and game banning

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Absolute disgrace, its these damn religous oiks and their freedom of speech. Just because a game promotes religion and actually encourages people not to kill theit enemies we should demand its taken off the shelf.

Where's my lighter? I'm going to go and burn a vicar before going off to play Grand Theft Auto 3.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/6178055.stm

On a more serious note could someone explain the difference between cunts who want to stop me watching Jerry Springer the Opera and the cunts who want to stop me playing Left Behind: Eternal Forces.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    After reading the BBC article I’m still a little sketchy on what the game is actually about.

The irony is that computer game manufacturers love this type of publicity; it’s the kind of publicity you just can’t buy. Still, I don’t think the people pissing and moaning about this computer game have really thought things through all that well. If you start banning computer games that may offend some people’s sensibilities, then you’d have to ban an awful lot of other stuff too.
    It actually looks like a good game. I may purchase it.
    I read the reviews and it seems pretty poor, but at the same time I'm damned if some hardline atheists should have the right to say what should or should not be sold

http://uk.pc.gamespy.com/pc/left-behind-eternal-forces/749748p1.html

http://uk.pc.ign.com/articles/745/745956p3.html

http://uk.gamespot.com/pc/strategy/leftbehindeternalforces/review.html
    Agreed, censorship is nearly always wrong.

Would just note though that the original article says that groups campaigning to get it banned include "Christian Alliance for Progress, the Campaign to Defend the Constitution, and Talk2Action"

none of which sound like 'hardline atheists', quite the opposite in the case of the former I assume.

The fact that churches are promoting it seems rather sinister but banning it is obviously wrong...
    On a more serious note could someone explain the difference between cunts who want to stop me watching Jerry Springer the Opera and the cunts who want to stop me playing Left Behind: Eternal Forces.
    Nothing. They're both cunts who don't want anyone to ever hear an alternative viewpoint. And I also wouldn't be surprised if they're the same type of dicks who are basing their opinions on hearsay rather than actually picking it up and having a go. If they are doing this as some sort of backlash to conservative groups that often do the same thing (see GTA and others), then that's about as petty as you can get. By all means state that you think the message of the game in dangerous, but don't campaign to get it banned (even if it is just by Walmart).

On the game, it seems a bit shit and the reviews obviously aren't that good. This publicity might get it a few more sales, but anyone who thinks that GTA was successful because of the controversy is having a laugh.
    Toadborg wrote:
    Agreed, censorship is nearly always wrong.
    Well actually, I would go further and say that it is always wrong.
    Well I do not think it is acceptable to call for someone to be killed using the media, for example......
    Toadborg wrote:
    Well I do not think it is acceptable to call for someone to be killed using the media, for example......
    What, you mean someone like Osama bin Laden or Saddam Hussein? I seem to remember seeing people calling for the deaths of both of them and not being censored.
    HIT wrote:
    are you serious?

The premiss of the game makes it sound pretty fun, but judging from the picture in the article the graphics don't look all that great and I'm willing to bet the gameplay isn't all that awsome either.
    Toadborg wrote:

Would just note though that the original article says that groups campaigning to get it banned include "Christian Alliance for Progress, the Campaign to Defend the Constitution, and Talk2Action"

none of which sound like 'hardline atheists', quite the opposite in the case of the former I assume....

Doh, serves me right. I spent so long looking into the background of the game to check whether the claims stood up that I didn't properly read beyod the word 'liberal' and substituted 'atheist'

Point still stands - where are the howls of outrage that we normally get from the left that groups want to ban a PC game?
    The idea that killing the opposition reduces your morale is a pretty interesting one (I can see it working in something like Knights of the Old Republic) and it seems pretty unique, but the reviews do seem to suggest its unplayable.
    HIT wrote:

Don't. Please don't. They'll just make more of them.

Left Behind, as the article says, is based on a series of books where the main plot idea is that the Rapture has happened and those left behind struggle on. As far as I know, the main character regains his faith and starts trying to convert others.

So, in the game you're trying to convert those pesky evil folk, real bastards like 'rock musicians' and 'college intellectuals' and recruit them to the side of God, as it were.

I can actually see the point of the protesters but it's such a terrible product that the only message anyone will get from it is that the Devil has all the best games.

ETA: "This is the first Christian developer that tried to produce a triple-A title, the summer blockbuster of video games," says Brian Crecente, editor of the games blog Kotaku and a video games writer for the Rocky Mountain News newspaper."

:lol: Marvellous.
    What, you mean someone like Osama bin Laden or Saddam Hussein? I seem to remember seeing people calling for the deaths of both of them and not being censored.

No I mean like someone 'normal'

i should not be allowed to pay for a poster campaign calling for the murder of someone i dislike, i should be censored......
    Infinite wrote:
    ETA: "This is the first Christian developer that tried to produce a triple-A title, the summer blockbuster of video games," says Brian Crecente, editor of the games blog Kotaku and a video games writer for the Rocky Mountain News newspaper."
    Triple A? Does that mean it's an energy efficient game?
    Infinite wrote:
    Don't. Please don't. They'll just make more of them.

Left Behind, as the article says, is based on a series of books where the main plot idea is that the Rapture has happened and those left behind struggle on. As far as I know, the main character regains his faith and starts trying to convert others.

So, in the game you're trying to convert those pesky evil folk, real bastards like 'rock musicians' and 'college intellectuals' and recruit them to the side of God, as it were.

I can actually see the point of the protesters but it's such a terrible product that the only message anyone will get from it is that the Devil has all the best games.

:lol: Marvellous.
    I know, I bought my dad the series for his birthday a while back . :p