Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

rant about being fat

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
/

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Everyone has a different 'set' weight if you like that your body tries its hadrest to stick to. This is obviously affected by lifestyle but it does mean that some people will have a job losing weight compared to others

Also ignore BMI, it used to tell me I was extremely underweight and although I was very skinny and had no tits etc that was just the way my body was supposed to be! I was a perfectly healthy weight for MY body, same probably applies to you.

Sounds like you're doing loads of exercise which is great and watching what you eat, but make sure you're not eating hidden calories in anything. Ready meals and takeaway sandwiches etc can be filled with calories. My friend bought two tomato pasta bakes from tesco the other week and the healthy living one had more calories than the non healthy living one!

All I can suggest is keep up the good work. I'd have a chat with your GP and see if they can suggest anything to help you as well. I knew someone who was similar to you, tried everything to lose weight and turned out she had a thyroid problem.
    i wouldn't ignore BMI, to be honest. how tall are you?
    k

Well it had me down as severly underweight when I was perfectly healthy, by doctors diagnosis. Its not always right
    You never stood on one of those weighing machine things in boots did you?
    No I have been on the machine at work, and worked it out myself.
    Have you tried to measure your body fat percentage at all?Im not sure if your doctors can advise on working it out, but no harm in going along and having a check up if things bother you. The BMI scale can be misleading for some people so you shouldn't treat it as those it's gospel, it's more of a rough guide really.

Most important thing is just to keep going to the gym and eating healthy like you are doing. BTW do you have a set routine at the gym to get achieve your goals?
    Firstly, at 5'1" you're not meant to be 'big' in any sense of the word. I'm 5'2" myself and at a size 14 (have been size 18-20) I'm still overweight for my height. I know I'm only meant to be around 8 1/2 stone because I'm so petite (so yes, being a 12/14 at 5'1" is obese).

Secondly, if you're using the gym, then you're most likely building muscle. Muscle weighs more than fat, so maybe that's why you don't seem to be losing weight.
    Also, have you seen your GP? You may have a thyroid problem like someone has already mentioned. Either that or you've just got a ridiculously slow metabolism (like myself!) which generally, you can't change.
    PussyKatty wrote:
    No I have been on the machine at work, and worked it out myself.
    Remember these machines arent accurate. ;)
    kangoo wrote:
    Well it had me down as severly underweight when I was perfectly healthy, by doctors diagnosis. Its not always right
    :yes: My brothers's BMI is 14 or 15 yet eats like a pig. He's 6'6" though so thats why its probably so low.
    My ex- housemate was Holmes Place personal trainer of the year, and so I've picked up a lot of knowledge from him.

What I will say is that, yes, muscle weight more than fat etc, but if you are doing the same routines week in, week out (you don't state you are but I am working on a common assumption), you're unlikely to get major results.

Book yourself some time with a personal trainer - it may cost a few quid, but it will be work it. Also - those classes are ok to a point: You need to keep advancing with the training, whereas you will find with those classes you will reach a plateau and you will progress no further as the routines are pretty much the same, week in, week out. They're good to get started with and for general fitness, but for major results you can't beat personal training.

G.
    what do you typically eat in a day?
    do you stick to certain portion sizes? because you might be eating more calories than you think
    Can't remember how it works but I think the hip to waist ratio thingy is supposed to be a better indication of whetther your weight puts you at risk from diabetes and heart probs. Maybe time to whip out the tape measure and put the scales away?
    g_angel007 wrote:
    Holmes Place
    :heart: My all time fave club. Though, can't do any exercise now.... :(
    :heart: My all time fave club. Though, can't do any exercise now.... :(

Aye - it's not bad!

They've just been bought out by Virgin Active and so there's a lot of change going on. I've been going for free for 3.5 years now, but it looks like I may have to actually join up now!! Bah... Hahahah
    Nooo! I hate Virgin Active. They took over Esporta and the prices sky rocketed and the whole place turned red and black. I'm gutted about Holmes Place. :no:
    i would

it isn't accurate for everyone

it doesnt take muscle into consderation for example, so you can be really fit and muscly, but because muscle weighs more than fat, your scales would still say you`re heavy...

according to the BMI i should be between 7stone 2 and 9stone 4

now let me tell you, i`ve been those weights and i looked awful and scrawny! I always had colds and was ill

I am much better at about 10stone, but that would make me overweight
    According to my BMI Im supposed to be around 12 stone. It really isnt accurate one bit.

The best way to measure bf is under water weighing, or skin calipers.
    BMI comes with the same warnings/restrictions as most other things, it is well worth bearing in mind and taking into consideration but it is not the be all and end all. That's one of the reasons that the buffer at the top end of it is so wide.

For most people being in between 20 and 25 is a pretty good guide (apparently it works better on men than women), but there are plenty of healthy people who are between 25 - 30.
    BMI isn't the be-all and end all (its a common fact that most professional rugby players are clinically obese according to it), and to be honest I don't think its worth the paper its written on.

If you are exercising well but not losing weight then I would discuss this with your doctor, as there may be other factors at work other than the amount of food you eat.
    Kermit wrote:
    If you are exercising well but not losing weight then I would discuss this with your doctor, as there may be other factors at work other than the amount of food you eat.
    yes thats a good point, it might be a thyroid issue for example