Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Driveways

A few months ago we had a driveway/porch built as parking in our area is impossible. For the first month or so it was alright. Now, for the last few days or so we've ahd people park their cars in front of our driveway, so that we can't get the car or bike out. Now, my dad put a note on someone's car today asking them politely to remove their car as he can't get his bike out unless mum moves the car somewhere else. (which she can't really do) Is there really anything we can do to stop people parking their cars in front of our driveway? (legal that is)
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I think it is technically illegal, but I'm not sure what the procedure is to get something done about it. Most people seem to actually not be a twat, and so you don't tend to get this problem, but that's clearly not the case with you. Is it the same person every time, or anyone and everyone?
    God some people are such tits! The binmen used to drive my mam mad by putting the wheely bin right in the middle of the the end of the driveway when they'd finished haha

Errmmmm buy the piece of road in front of your driveway and put up a sign saying NO TRESSPASSING. And stand there with a gun shouting GET OFF MY LARRNNDDDDD!!!
  • JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Contact the council and inform them.

Or go to B&Q and paint your own yellow lines (this is not advised)
    I think it is technically illegal, but I'm not sure what the procedure is to get something done about it. Most people seem to actually not be a twat, and so you don't tend to get this problem, but that's clearly not the case with you. Is it the same person every time, or anyone and everyone?

It does seem to be almost everyone. Mostly a City Link van.
    We've got a garage facing the road and cunts always park infront of it,

What we do, in order:

1) Try the doors on the off chance it's been left unlocked
    2) Walk down to the pub and ask if it's anyones in there
    3) Ring the police
    4) Get fed up of waiting, get my own car, attach a tow rope and drag the car a few metres away

Although I've only done 4 a few times, cos I dont wanna knacker the clutch of my car.

If you've got a few strong men in your family, you can get them to try to lift the back of the car (at the wheel arches) while 2 or 3 people push the car backwards from the front. The people lifting at the rear have to like bounce the rear of the car up and down and the car will slowly move (Or should. We managed to move a merc A Class with this method)

You might want to invest in a road cone or a sign that says 'Clamping in operation' heh heh.
    i think it depends on if you have told the local council or not, if u have you would be paying slighly more council tax, if you have then you should have a dip in the pavemount. if u do then the police can tow the car if its stoping you getting your own car out of your driveway but not if your trying to drive onto your drive way
    Territt wrote:
    i think it depends on if you have told the local council or not, if u have you would be paying slighly more council tax, if you have then you should have a dip in the pavemount. if u do then the police can tow the car if its stoping you getting your own car out of your driveway but not if your trying to drive onto your drive way

We have that dip in the pavement.
    We have a dropped kerb, it doesnt stop em.
    Sofie wrote:
    We have that dip in the pavement.

then i think your only option is to contact the police, if you was to move the car yourself then your leaving yourself open to claims that the car was damaged by you
    shrug, let them prove it. We once found an old car unlocked, we let the handbrake off and my mate pushed it up the road and we parked it nicely :). The guy look confused as hell when he got back. teehee :)
    noog wrote:
    shrug, let them prove it. We once found an old car unlocked, we let the handbrake off and my mate pushed it up the road and we parked it nicely :). The guy look confused as hell when he got back. teehee :)

i think your find if the person can prove you move the car then your going to need to prove that the damage wasnt done by you, and im pretty sure if you take somebodys car, even if just moving a little way down the road its still car theft?

as i said before, the best bet would be to just call the police
    I dont paticularly care to be honest. The times I've towed the car we *needed* the car out of the garage .. they're parking on double yellow lines and obstructing a garage anyway, so they've got it coming.
    Territt wrote:
    i think your find if the person can prove you move the car then your going to need to prove that the damage wasnt done by you, and im pretty sure if you take somebodys car, even if just moving a little way down the road its still car theft?

as i said before, the best bet would be to just call the police

It probably would, but you don't have to prove your own innocence. In a criminal case, it would be for the prosecutor to prove the case, not the defence. In a civil case, it would be balance of evidence.
    If a car is parked on a driveway, and there is a 'dipped curb' then it's illegal to park in front of said driveway. I'd put up a clamping notice then clamp the fuckers :D
    Write the note across the windscreen with lipstick, they won't do it again!

Chalk onto the road 'No Parking' would be another option.
    We had a dropped curb wide enough for one car to park infront of the house, we then had it extended to the full width of the house so we could get 2 cars in our drive.

We don't really find people park infront of the drive, although our neighbour parks right up to the edge of it sometimes which when there is a car parked opposite the drive makes it hard to come out and turn.

Only time someone parked infront of our drive was workmen for our neighbour who blocked me in and then went in their other van to get supplies... that was annoying and made me late for work that day.