Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Shingles

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Does anybody know about shingles.

Basicly my girlfriend (or at least the woman Im sleeping with at the monent) has it, Ive never had choicken pox, is it safe to arrange a steemy sesion at the weekend ?

Comments

• Options
    I know there's the old wives' tale that if they connect in a belt round your waist you die :p

I dunno if shingles is caused by a chicken pox reinfection or if it's something else. I know you have to of had chicken pox to get shingles. I'd be careful though, chicken pox in adults can be quite a serious condition.
  • Options
    lol your girlfriends ill and you want to know if you can still make out.

I dont actually think there catching, but she will probably feel like shit.
  • Options
    My grandma recently had it and it is very painful however it isn't contagious thankfully.

It's caused by a weak immune system. When you have chicken pox when you are a child the virus that causes it stays in some nerve cells. As your immune system weakens the virus may escape from the cells thus causing shingles.

It's usually brought on by stress.
  • Options
    I am not sure, because both me and my sister had chicken pox around the usual age of 3 or whatever it is. Then when my sister aged about 13/14 went in for an operation on her kidney, during recovery she got shingles. Anyway my mum was away so dad took her to the doctors and under docs instructions my dad has to inform everyone who had been in contact with my sister in the past week or so and the best part...I got to stay off school!

So, not sure if it is catchable.
  • Options
    Shingles can be quite nasty, though it usually causes more serious complications for older people (doesn't everything) so I'm sure she will recover quickly and completely. You wouldn't be endangering yourself by getting some action, but I am very skeptical of whether or not she will be in any fit state for sex. Not only will she probably be feeling quite ill, but she will also probably have quite an unsightly rash which she will probably be fairly self-conscious about. I think it'd be put me off stripping off and getting it on, to be honest, though of course we're all different...

Personally I think you should nip your ideas of going round and knocking boots in the bud; and instead go round with some chicken soup and a big bunch of flowers and offer to do any odd jobs she might need doing. I'm pretty sure in her time of need she'd be more appreciative of that than you turning up with a big bulge in your trousers and a twinkle in your eye.

Pretty much all the basics about shingles are here, by the way :)
  • Options
    NHS Direct
    A person with shingles can pass on the virus (which would cause chickenpox in another person who has not previously had chickenpox). The person is contagious until the last blister has scabbed over. The virus spreads through direct contact with open blisters.

So be careful as you haven't had chicken pox.
  • Options
    off topic but my mum had shingles one christmas and i was singing 'shingle bells, shingle bells...'. :razz:

:blush:
  • Options
    off topic but my mum had shingles one christmas and i was singing 'shingle bells, shingle bells...'. :razz:

:blush:
    Thats nasty

(But very funny :D)
  • Options
    *giggles*
  • Options
    RubberSkin wrote:
    I'd be careful though, chicken pox in adults can be quite a serious condition.

Why is it dangerous in adults?
  • Options
    Well according to NHS direct can result in pneumonia and encephallitits (think that's right) which is either water on the brain or swelling of the lining round the brain.
  • Options
    RubberSkin wrote:
    Well according to NHS direct can result in pneumonia and encephallitits (think that's right) which is either water on the brain or swelling of the lining round the brain.

Encephalitis is basically infection in the lining of the brain causing swelling. Very nasty! So i would definitely steer clear of bumping uglies until she is fully scabbed over, at which point she will probably be too self-concious to do it anyway! You at a higher risk of developing shingles, or chicken pox as you have never developed an immunity to that virus :yes:
  • Options
    Your all being sexist in assuming Im desperate to give her one and she needs comfort.
    She's the one saying I "I hope it wont put you off" and she dosnt seem to be in any pain just got a text saying how she's enjoying not having to go to work, and as far as I was aware its just a fer marks.
    And anyway she's coming over to my house saturday so Ill she how she is,
    I get regular dirty texts off her anyway.
  • Options
    Your all being sexist in assuming Im desperate to give her one and she needs comfort

Well i certainly haven't been and neither have others. If this is your attitude to the helpful response you get next time you've got a problem you can go and fuck yaself. CUNT.
  • Options
    RubberSkin wrote:
    Well i certainly haven't been and neither have others. If this is your attitude to the helpful response you get next time you've got a problem you can go and fuck yaself. CUNT.

I cant beleive what a prick you are, lets see a couple of the comments made shal we.

"lol your girlfriends ill and you want to know if you can still make out.
    I dont actually think there catching, but she will probably feel like shit"

"I'm pretty sure in her time of need she'd be more appreciative of that than you turning up with a big bulge in your trousers and a twinkle in your eye."

Seems to imply that Im trying to pressure her into having sex when she dosnt want to, she's not in pain and she definatly wants us to.

Rubberskin your whole responce makes you sound hysterical and unbalanced, especialy the CUNT in capital letters at the end, I think your whole responce was unnescary, havnt realy got the time or inclination to have a go at you.

But to anybody else thanks for your advice, just wanted to point out that I wasnt pressuring her she's trying to pressure me,

Rubberskin perhaps its better if you just dont reply If I should ever ask for advice again OK
  • Options
    I think YOUR response was unnecessary.

From the tone and wording of your initial post I think it was perfectly reasonable to assume that you were anxious to know when you'd next be safe getting your end away with this lass. I apologise for the assumption, but it really wasn't a personal attack. Maybe you should have clarified initially that this was not the case if you're going to get your knickers in a wadge about people making [what I thought were obviously tongue in cheek comments coupled with actual practical advice.

No one said anything about your "pressuring her into sex" so don't put words in people's mouths, the responses were just what you asked for... people's experiences and knowledge of shingles. That knowledge extends as far as knowing that when people are suffering from a contagious and signifigant disease that they often lose any inclination to have sex, obviously the lady is in question - so go and get your kicks. Got to be more fun than making mountains of molehills ;)
  • Options
    I thought it was unnecessary to be told to go and fuck my self , dont ask for advice and being called a CUNT, for clarifying a point.

You dont think thats unnecessary, but my objecting to being called a CUNT told to fuck off and dont ask for advice is obviously unnecessary.

you think I should have apologised to Rubberskin then, sory but I dont think so
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    briggi wrote:
    I think YOUR response was unnecessary.

Maybe you should have clarified initially that this was not the case if you're going to get your knickers in a wadge about people making [what I thought were obviously tongue in cheek comments coupled with actual practical advice.

:yes:

briggi wrote:
    No one said anything about your "pressuring her into sex" so don't put words in people's mouths, the responses were just what you asked for... people's experiences and knowledge of shingles. That knowledge extends as far as knowing that when people are suffering from a contagious and signifigant disease that they often lose any inclination to have sex, obviously the lady is in question - so go and get your kicks. Got to be more fun than making mountains of molehills ;)

:yes: While you don't deserve to be called a cunt, your post directed at RubberSkin was unfair. He's posted a lot of really useful info, and the thing about discussion boards is that you don't get to choose who responds to your threads - it's an open forum. Feel free to put someone ignore if you don't like the way they respond. However, I personally think you'll be missing out.

I don't know if you realise you quoted HIT, not RS in the first quote from your last post. I can't find the others, I guess they may have been edited out (unfortunately I wasn't here to see ) but if RS has edited them out then he probably decided they weren't the best things to say (possibly when your situation was clarified) and actually when that's the case there are far better, less insulting ways of getting that across.

ETA: I don't think you need to apologise either tbh. An explanation of your clarification is enough.
  • Options
    I know who I quoted, my initial clarification wasnt directed at Rubberskin

I did get the impression that you all assumed I was trying to pressure her, ok so not everybody thought that or said that, but I wanted to clarify that point, and for that it seems to be considered quite fair to be told to fuck off called a cunt and dont ask for advice,.

But then its unacceptable or unfair for me to challenge that ?

I didnt make any insults in my initial clarification "your all being sexist" is not a serious insult not quite quite deserving of a hatefilled responce.

If im susposed to take the comments (few though they were) implying I only cared about having sex as a "joke" fair enough but then "your all being sexist"
    should also be taken as tongue in cheek comments shorly.

Its not plesent to seek advice give clarification in an issue that I never expected to turn into an insult, log on and get this message

"next time you've got a problem you can go and fuck yaself. CUNT."

But thats OK I realy have to get back to work at the moment Iv ever I have to clarify a point again Ill be sure to tread carefully,
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    I did get the impression that you all assumed I was trying to pressure her, ok so not everybody thought that or said that, but I wanted to clarify that point, and for that it seems to be considered quite fair to be told to fuck off called a cunt and dont ask for advice.

But then its unacceptable or unfair for me to challenge that ?

No it's not at all and it's VERY unfortunate that was said. Just wanted to emphasise the clarification thing.
  • Options
    I thought it was unnecessary to be told to go and fuck my self , dont ask for advice and being called a CUNT, for clarifying a point.

And it's completely unecessary for you to label me a sexist when i was only giving you information you wanted and potentially stopping you from developing a life threatening condition. If you want to have a go at what people say then don't include me in it. And you wasn't clarifying a point you were just slagging everyone off.
    Basicly my girlfriend (or at least the woman Im sleeping with at the monent) has it, Ive never had choicken pox, is it safe to arrange a steemy sesion at the weekend ?
    Your all being sexist in assuming Im desperate to give her one and she needs comfort.

So what are we supossed to conclude from this ? And how are we supposed to know that it's your girlfriend who wants a scabby shag ?
  • Options
    Really, he's clarified it now and you've both been pretty much out of order in your reactions - so how about everyone taking a deep breath and letting it go?