Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Are people often, or ever aware of their own mental problems?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I wish to be educated.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    What do you mean by mental problems? I think it depends what you're talking about.
    If you mean "mental problems" as in a florid psychosis such that you might stop and stare then often the answer is no. That is the whole point. Personality disorders are often not apparent to the person who has them and must be pointed out. The amount of insight is then variable.

Otherwise, sufferers of depressions and anxiety disorders are clearly going to be aware, but may lack sufficient insight to see through the current episode.

Learning difficulties I'm less certain.

Mental health is extremely complex.

If you are interested, there are some good books on the subject. You may also find films such as A Beautiful Mind and Donnie Darko of interest.
    I think a lot of people are in denial. When I was depressed I didn't see anything abnormal in solvent abuse, cutting and suicidal thoughts.
    often they are, yeah. especially with things like depression, anxiety, phobias and addictions. in my experience, psychotically ill people don't see a problem with their behaviour, which is why getting them into treatment can be tricky.

i think there are three broad categories in this instance:

1. people who are totally aware that their behaviour is abnormal, and are doing it on purpose.

2. people who are aware to a greater or lesser degree that their behaviour is abnormal, but don't know why they're doing it, or can't stop doing it.

3. people who see no problem at all with what they're doing.
    I'm aware of being depressed. Which I supose is classed as a mental problem because I'm being sent to the mental health clinic. :impissed:
    I went through a time a couple of years ago where I really felt like I was going insane... my mum always said if I thought I was insane that probably ment I wasn't, because if I was I wouldn't know it... :crazyeyes
    Thanks Kentish I'll look into that.

I just never heard of someone who felt something was wrong with themselves, went to their GP about it and winded up being diagnosed with a disorder such as schizophrenia (just as an example).
    Capacity wrote:
    I just never heard of someone who felt something was wrong with themselves, went to their GP about it and winded up being diagnosed with a disorder such as schizophrenia (just as an example).

You hear of it a lot, though maybe not about schizophrenia, to use your example.

When I was ill, I knew I was ill. I went to the doctors because I knew it wasn't right to be feeling how I was feeling, and I got help because I was quite seriously ill. My logical self knew all this anyway.

It was weird, part of me knew I was ill and needed help, which is why I got it. But then the rest of me insisted that there was nothing wrong with me or my perception, that everyone did hate me, that I did deserve to hurt, that I did deserve to die. I suppose I kinda flitted between #2 and #3 of kaff's points, depending on how bad I was feeling at a given time.
    Kermit wrote:
    You hear of it a lot, though maybe not about schizophrenia, to use your example.

When I was ill, I knew I was ill. I went to the doctors because I knew it wasn't right to be feeling how I was feeling, and I got help because I was quite seriously ill. My logical self knew all this anyway.

It was weird, part of me knew I was ill and needed help, which is why I got it. But then the rest of me insisted that there was nothing wrong with me or my perception, that everyone did hate me, that I did deserve to hurt, that I did deserve to die. I suppose I kinda flitted between #2 and #3 of kaff's points, depending on how bad I was feeling at a given time.

Mind if I asked what turned out to be 'wrong' with you?
    Capacity wrote:
    Mind if I asked what turned out to be 'wrong' with you?
    Borderline Personality Disorder.

Think Susanna Keysen.
    Girl,Interrupted is a great film.

I just agree with everyone else.
    Its a interesting subject to ponder on are folk ever aware that they have mental heatlh problems? I would say at the start of them probly not ! maybe cause its all new and just passed off as strange, and I would say less so a lack of acceptance cause of the stigma that comes with such a illness.

Thats why I think personaly that the stigma of mental health plays an important part to the one recovering from an inbalance in the mind.

It is true that many dont ever want to be aware of there own problems cause they dont except them as mental problems and may even hold negative views of thoes that do except them and live with them.
    Ive often thought about that and it kind of scares me cos how do you know if what you think or feel is normal, or if your just going insane??
    I think its perfctly possible and even reasonably common for people to be aware of ther own mental health problems. Its also pretty common to be totally unaware of your problems too.
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    I wonder if people who are retarded or autistic or anything like that ever understand what's wrong with themselves, or at least that something is...
    I was unaware of my problems for a while, but having going through treatment/counselling/logic etc, I know that it isn't right to feel how I do. I was in denial though.
    I'm so used to my phases and what sends to set me off, so I'm normally aware of my mental state about 90% of the time. Pity the s/h dosent always go together with the depression, thats a bit more random.
    I'm 100% sure I'm completley insane.... BOOO!!!!
  • TammyGTammyG Posts: 15 Settling in
    Mental health is one of the most complex of health issues - unlike 'physical' illnesses, you can't 'see' the problem.
    The important thing to remember is that you are NOT alone, and help is out there, you just have to be open to accepting it.:)
    When i'm up/hyper i often don't realise i'm ill and need to be kept in check.
    RubberSkin wrote:
    When i'm up/hyper i often don't realise i'm ill and need to be kept in check.

Ditto. And it took a friend asking me something and having a go at me (kind of anyway) to realise that I do have some sort of problem/mental health issue.
    When i'm up, Leigh says it's like going shopping with a 4 year old who's just eaten a handful of blue smarties and had a tartrazine injection :D
    I hope so. If not, who knows what mental illness I'm carrying around. :nervous: