Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

'Pray five times a day or be beheaded'

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I was speaking from experience and whilst I know a few far right Christians (I was brought up attending the Protestant church), the most biggotted and closed minded people I have met have mostly been atheists (which is what I said). If I had met a lot of biggotted Muslims then I would change it and generally not care what the PC patrol felt about me.
    Well I guess that's where you and me differ. If most of the racist people I had met had been black, I wouldn't choose to comment on it, because I'd know what the insinuation behind such a comment would be.
    I'm curious MoonRat, what kind of bigotry have these atheists displayed? Did they demand that believers should be jailed? Burnt at the stake perhaps?
    Aladdin wrote:
    I'm curious MoonRat, what kind of bigotry have these atheists displayed? Did they demand that believers should be jailed? Burnt at the stake perhaps?
    A bigot is somebody who is intolerent of other people's lifestyles and opinions, not just religion.

I have met a lot of biggoted atheists. Some are very homophobic, others are very intolerent of Christianity, another believes all immigrants should be sent to Africa, all the troops pulled out of Iraq and to have the army around the borders of Africa shooting anybody who tries to escape.

I've met some very intolerent atheists as regards their opinion on Muslims, another guy was laughing because he believed he had 'one over' on a Christian girl in work because God is apparently 'bullshit' because nobody can prove he exists and that makes her somehow a bit dumb and closed minded (although I pointed out that nobody can prove God doesn't exist either).

I know people who believe same sex couples shouldn't be allowed to show affection in public, I've met left wingers who believe that people should be put in jail for exercising their freedom of speech (double standards in the case of Nick Griffin).

Yes there are fundementalist Christians, Muslims and so on... But before criticising the human rights abuses of religions remind yourself of what Mao's China did to Tibet, or the Soviet Gulags, both secular.
    Well I guess that's where you and me differ. If most of the racist people I had met had been black, I wouldn't choose to comment on it, because I'd know what the insinuation behind such a comment would be.

Well it would depend on where you grew up. Most of the racist people I have met have been white because I grew up in a white working man's town. There is no harm in pointing out that people other than those who are white are racist but I do see your point, somebody will take it to heart.

It's not that I'm taking a stab at atheists at all, it's just that I've met so many bigotted atheists and somebody brought the topic up, so I thought I'd share my experience.
    Hmm, other than the "got one over on a girl from work" bloke, it sounds like you've met some bigotted people, who happen to be atheists, rather than some people who are bigotted as some sort of side effect of atheism. I know you didn't claim that atheism was the cause of them being bigotted, but simply mentioning that fact suggests that it is somehow relevent to their attitudes towards others.
    Hmm, other than the "got one over on a girl from work" bloke, it sounds like you've met some bigotted people, who happen to be atheists, rather than some people who are bigotted as some sort of side effect of atheism. I know you didn't claim that atheism was the cause of them being bigotted, but simply mentioning that fact suggests that it is somehow relevent to their attitudes towards others.
    Good point.

It gets my attention though, that you'd be wound up by MoonRats comment on atheists, when you have so many times said yourself that one atheist doesn't speak for another or the whole group - as opposed to religions, where it's natural to assume people from the same religion would think alike. :chin:
    A bigot is somebody who is intolerent of other people's lifestyles and opinions, not just religion.

I have met a lot of biggoted atheists. Some are very homophobic, others are very intolerent of Christianity, another believes all immigrants should be sent to Africa, all the troops pulled out of Iraq and to have the army around the borders of Africa shooting anybody who tries to escape.

I've met some very intolerent atheists as regards their opinion on Muslims, another guy was laughing because he believed he had 'one over' on a Christian girl in work because God is apparently 'bullshit' because nobody can prove he exists and that makes her somehow a bit dumb and closed minded (although I pointed out that nobody can prove God doesn't exist either).

I know people who believe same sex couples shouldn't be allowed to show affection in public, I've met left wingers who believe that people should be put in jail for exercising their freedom of speech (double standards in the case of Nick Griffin).

Yes there are fundementalist Christians, Muslims and so on... But before criticising the human rights abuses of religions remind yourself of what Mao's China did to Tibet, or the Soviet Gulags, both secular.
    Actually I'm not sure what being an atheist got to do with being homophobic or anti-immigration.

A racist is a racist and a homophobe is a homophobe. If they happen to be atheists as well, so be it. But that is a footnote really. Their bigotry is not fomented, promoted or associated in any way whatsoever with their atheism.

It's a bit like me saying all left handed people are bigoted because I've come across a few of them that were.
    bluewisdom wrote:
    It gets my attention though, that you'd be wound up by MoonRats comment on atheists, when you have so many times said yourself that one atheist doesn't speak for another or the whole group
    Well that's the point though. There is nothing to link one atheist to another other than a lack of belief in God, so to suggest that atheists are in some way "more likely" to have a certain characteristic, or "the majority" have a certain characteristic, is ridiculous. And if you don't think that atheists are more likely to have a certain characteristic than a non-athiest, then it is completely irrelivent to mention it. It reminds me of the whole femenist/Steve Irwin issue tbh. Fucking hell, remember that?

Maybe that's how you interpretted it, not how I'd interpret it. I was reacting to this quote...
    I think that atheists just have a superiority complex, you get extremists all the time. And they're often in power, but they can be religious or not religious. But if they're muslim or christian, how come people denounce 'organised religion' as a solely bad thing. People don't seriously think there would be no wars if there was no religion?
    Well that's the point though. There is nothing to link one atheist to another other than a lack of belief in God, so to suggest that atheists are in some way "more likely" to have a certain characteristic, or "the majority" have a certain characteristic, is ridiculous. And if you don't think that atheists are more likely to have a certain characteristic than a non-athiest, then it is completely irrelivent to mention it. It reminds me of the whole femenist/Steve Irwin issue tbh. Fucking hell, remember that?
    Yes, I remember that perfectly well, haha. And yes, I agree to this point, hence the 'good point' comment at the beginning of my post.

I guess I was just pointing out -very inarticulately- that you had the same reaction about a blanket statement being said about atheism than religious people have when they feel they are being all tarred with the same brush. Not pleasant is it? :p;)
    bluewisdom wrote:
    YI guess I was just pointing out -very inarticulately- that you had the same reaction about a blanket statement being said about atheism than religious people have when they feel they are being all tarred with the same brush. Not pleasant is it? :p;)
    Yes I know. That's why I said that it is equally unacceptable to make blanket statements about atheists as it is against religious people.
    Good point.

I didn't intend on sounding like I hate atheists, or disrespect their belief or wish to tar them all the same (a human is a human to me)... But to highlight the point that there are shits everywhere and that I've met a lot of bigotted atheists and that it isn't confined to religion.
    (although I pointed out that nobody can prove God doesn't exist either).

AAaaaarggghhhhhh!!!!!!

:no:

:mad:

Do you believe EVERYTHING then?

because you can't 'prove' any negative........
    Toadborg wrote:
    AAaaaarggghhhhhh!!!!!!

:no:

:mad:

Do you believe EVERYTHING then?

because you can't 'prove' any negative........

What have my beliefs got to do with anything?
    Yes I know. That's why I said that it is equally unacceptable to make blanket statements about atheists as it is against religious people.
    Yes, I know you did :)
    Replicant wrote:
    I was thinking about my statement that I think religion does little good for people today, and I think the point I was trying to address was that on a world scale, in governments, and "terrorist" organisations, religion is doing little good. at an individual scale I dont think there's anything wrong with people believing they have something watching over them if it keeps the masses happy with a fuzzy feeling inside.
    Apart from the highlighted part which I find a tad patronising tbh :p, I guess what I find uncomforting (for lack of a better word) is the viewpoint that seems to be spreading about lately that organised religion in a world / governments and other organisations scale is "bad" or dangerous, but that at individual scale it's ok. I find this is not only an over-simplification, but also misguided and inaccurate tbh. Religion can and has done good on bigger scales than just individually - as much as it has done bad on an individual basis. That said I still stand by the point that I don't think the effects of religion can really be 'measured' though - big or small scale.
    What have my beliefs got to do with anything?

I just had to point out the stupidity of the 'you can't disprove god exists' bollocks line.......
    Toadborg wrote:
    I just had to point out the stupidity of the 'you can't disprove god exists' bollocks line.......
    Why? Nobody know whether s/he exists or not, the same with extraterrestrial life.

The fact is that a lot of people feel 'touched by God' at one point in their life. You cannot prove that it wasn't God who touched them, nor can you prove it that it was.

A lot of people do not believe in God because science has yet to prove that God exists. Once people believed the earth is flat, yet then it was found that the world isn't flat at all. Science and discovery may prove that there is a God or higher being one day, it just hasn't so far.

What I was pointing out was that my friend was looking down on somebody because what they believed didn't conform with science, but then science is ever evolving and one day science may prove that a higher deity does exist.
    Even the strongest atheists will generally say "It is highly improbable that God exists" rather than "he doesn't exist." Most will just say "I don't believe that God exists." But I think it's entirely acceptable to just say that something doesn't exist, when really you mean, there is no scientific evidence that it exists. It's just a shorter way of saying it. I have got to say that I do think people who try and convert people are a pain in the arse. If someone pushes me, I'll argue my point as to why I don't think God exists, but I won't try and prove someone wrong. If they want to believe in God, let them. As long as it doesn't effect me in any way.
    Another question all people should be asking themselves is: "if God does exist, does it actually matter?"

Think about it. Should it change how one behaves, what one does in life?
    Aladdin wrote:
    Another question all people should be asking themselves is: "if God does exist, does it actually matter?"

Well then you get into the realm of the afterlife, and the majority of theistic religions believe that not only do you have to be a moral person, but you have to accept God in order to get into heaven. So to them it does matter. But a lot of people that believe in God also think "well as long as I lead a good moral life, if there is a heaven, I'll be in," so to them no, it doesn't matter.
    Aladdin wrote:

Well if someone proved he existed and that living in sin is going to have you burning in hell for infinity I suspect there might be a sudden rise in marriage applications
    But how would they know which God is the true one?

Unless he tells us himself, if we only were to prove somehow the existence of a superior being, we still don't know anything about it. For all we know this being seeded life in the Universe and let it flourish without any rules. For all we know the seven-headed, green skinned God worshipped by the inhabitants of the second planet orbiting around Alpha Centauri is the true one.

There have been and still are hundreds if not thousands of religions and beliefs in this planet alone. But none of them has the upper hand to prove their god is the true one.

And in any case, if there is a God, and if he is really a perfect being, that must mean he's altruist. And no altruist being would dream of sending good people to eternal damnation simply for failing to worship him. Moreover, people should be good because it is the right thing to do, not because of fear of retribution.

Therefore, people should just lead good lives, because it is right to do so, and if at the end of their lives it turns out there is a superior being and he is an all-knowing, omnipotent being of infinite goodness and wisdom like all the religions more or less claim, then they can rest assured they will be rewarded regardless of whether they have observed any silly rules regarding worshipping, visiting holy sites or refraining from eating certain food.
    Well yeah, I agree with most of that.

But if I knew God existed (rather than having faith he does so) and he was putting demands on me, say for example he interrupted all TV programmes saying that those who don't go to church next Sunday are going to burn in fire and brimstone for all eternity, you would have to be either a bit stupid or a masochist not to be down church on the Sunday
    Yeah I agree with that.

I simply cannot believe any God would be prepared to send people to hell for some of the acts warned against in the various Holy Books around, so He'd have to tell me Himself for me to actually believe it.

So far He's been rather mute on the subject so I guess he doesn't really mind... ;)
    Aladdin wrote:
    Yeah I agree with that.

I simply cannot believe any God would be prepared to send people to hell for some of the acts warned against in the various Holy Books around, so He'd have to tell me Himself for me to actually believe it.

So far He's been rather mute on the subject so I guess he doesn't really mind... ;)

And on top of that, "sin" is a product of many things you cannot influence and control, meaning that if you grow up in an atheist family, you must be condemned to hell. There are so many factors and it's quite absurd if one tries to argue that you "should" become religious and that every individual has a choice. Not everyone does, and not always is religion illuminated to everyone.

A mere wrong social circle can affect your religious status. And for that, you go to hell. Logical. :p But this notion, of heaven and hell, I find quite hard to fathom, because the complexity of such a place would be simply too much to imagine. Where does the line go, whether you go to heaven or hell? For this reason, I find many other religions more tempting, but ultimately, theism just isn't for me.
    A mere wrong social circle can affect your religious status. And for that, you go to hell. Logical. :p But this notion, of heaven and hell, I find quite hard to fathom, because the complexity of such a place would be simply too much to imagine. Where does the line go, whether you go to heaven or hell? For this reason, I find many other religions more tempting, but ultimately, theism just isn't for me.
    And by the looks of it, considering the types of twat that would end up in heaven, I'd rather be in hell. I mean Mary Whitehouse and Cliff fucking Richard. Fuck an eternity with them.
    Aladdin wrote:
    And in any case, if there is a God, and if he is really a perfect being, that must mean he's altruist. And no altruist being would dream of sending good people to eternal damnation simply for failing to worship him. Moreover, people should be good because it is the right thing to do, not because of fear of retribution.

Therefore, people should just lead good lives, because it is right to do so, and if at the end of their lives it turns out there is a superior being and he is an all-knowing, omnipotent being of infinite goodness and wisdom like all the religions more or less claim, then they can rest assured they will be rewarded regardless of whether they have observed any silly rules regarding worshipping, visiting holy sites or refraining from eating certain food.
    I agree with this a 100%.
    Aladdin wrote:
    Yes, but then what is "good" is debatable isn't it. For example, something which you consider a moral act might not be so moral in the eyes of another. For example, in the case of animal rights activism, where somebody would believe it's the right thing to blow up a laboratory which tests on animals.

By society's eyes that is an act of terrorism, but through the eyes of an activist it could be seen as an act of virtue.
    Yes, but then what is "good" is debatable isn't it. For example, something which you consider a moral act might not be so moral in the eyes of another. For example, in the case of animal rights activism, where somebody would believe it's the right thing to blow up a laboratory which tests on animals.

By society's eyes that is an act of terrorism, but through the eyes of an activist it could be seen as an act of virtue.

Agreed. It's a debate.

The answer, however, isn't then to abandon all critcal thought and just flip open the ol' reference book and look up what is and isn't allowed.
    Agreed. It's a debate.

The answer, however, isn't then to abandon all critcal thought and just flip open the ol' reference book and look up what is and isn't allowed.
    That's why we have laws.

Think about it, if morality is not absolute then neither is justice.