Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

What did you achieve in 2006?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
??? And bugger all isn't an option! Everybody must have done something!

I finally got off my arse and started working seriously on my guitar playing again.

I learnt to Iron!

I got a loan to consolidate my monthly outgoings (as they say on the adverts!) and cut up my credit card.

I won a tournement at my golf club and qualified for the Midland Masters in Bedfordshire.

I found the site.org to help get me through alot of long boring days at work! Special mention goes to alot of good advice received in the relationship forum, which has helped me lay a lot of past ghosts to rest and look forward again. (Though I went on a date last night and it was a fucking shambles haha).

Okay, so what about you?!

Comments

• Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Passed my university course.
    Got a supply job in a school that most NQTs wouldn't touch with a bargepole.
    Getting on well in said school.
    (Will be) hosting Christmas for the first proper time.
    Laid the floor in the kitchen all by myself :D
    Survived first year of marriage.

Not much else as the university part took up most of my life for a lot of the year. Rest of the year was spent recovering!
  • Options
    I achieved a bad back.
  • Options
    ??? And bugger all isn't an option!

Dammit! That was going to be my answer! I'm serious when I say there is nothing I've achieved!
  • Options
    Erm... I managed to complete (and qualify) my Beauty course, and I managed to resist the willpower to leave it there, and went back to do the next one along (despite all the evidence telling me now that I should have just taken the job I was offered :D)
  • Options
    Looking back it's been quite a successful year (although some days it doesnt feel like it)

* started learning to drive and passed test
    * bought a car (paid for by moi)
    * started training wingtchun and am about to take level 4 tonight
    * done a whole year in business, managed to do VAT returns, p45s and all kinds all by myself
    * one whole year with The Boy :)

anything else i can think of I'll put up later!
  • Options
    I was going to say "sweet fuck all" rather than bugger all, but then I remember I did actually achieve some things this year... though they seem like a decade ago now.

1) Qualified as a Registered Nurse, though obviously haven't done a thing with that qualification yet...
    2) Finally cut loose from the bloke who made my life a misery for over three years (with very brief interludes of happiness, admittedly)
    3) Sorted my head out a LOT in terms of drink, drugs and general lifestyle
    4) Gave a bloody fabulous speech at my cousin's wedding in October
    5) Finally got myself a ukelele and have joined the group of uke-twanging "characters" in my local pub to drunkenly belt out Small Faces covers and drink quality ale
  • Options
    briggi wrote:
    5) Finally got myself a ukelele and have joined the group of uke-twanging "characters" in my local pub to drunkenly belt out Small Faces covers and drink quality ale

I can teach you something on the Ukulele...

Alfred Hitchcock suspension music. Just take the strings very short and make those short strokes on them.

That's hilarity pure if you pull it for the first time.

What I achieved, phew...

1) I finished the damn civil service, overworked and underpaid.
    2) I manages to visit 2 of the best spa's in austria, one of them is the newest and most impressive in central europe (so they say).
    3) I, ummm.... ummm.... had sex.. with an older chick, guess I can put that under achievements too (:grump: )
    4) I JOINED THE SITE!!! most importantly.
    5) I... ummm... cooked my first chocci cake in a 4 hour kitchen wrecking session. It was the best piece of dessert ever to grace the roof of my mouth.

I don't know. Seems fuck all happened again. Maybe brightened someones day, which is good too...
  • Options
    only a few

-doing alright at work, finally got out of a rut i was in
    - fleeing the nest again (well by then end of this year i'll be out)
    - got myself a decent girlfriend
    - not taken no drugs for at least 10 months now
    - cut down on my alcohol intake (altho i still enjoy a piss up every now and then)
    - cut my debt significantly, down to 1 CC now wooo
  • Options
    got my bachelors degree

got my arse into gear (pardon the punn) and started driving lessons

think thats it :(
  • Options
    The square root of fuck all.
  • Options
    StrubbleS wrote:
    1) I finished the damn civil service, overworked and underpaid.

Wow, so Britain's civil service doesn't stand alone as being a joke...!
  • Options
    briggi wrote:

Larrfing! I can just picture this...!
  • Options
    - I got a job which I have kept for longer than any of my other jobs.
    - I decided (finally) what I want to do with my life.
    - Youthnet's 10th Anniversary shindig XD.
    - Learned to like various aspects of myself.
    - Realised who my real friends are ;o.
    - Finished my Extended Essay/ToK essay/Maths Project
    - Other stuff. Probably.
  • Options
    I managed get a job and an amazing bf
  • Options
    Passed the second year of my degree and did quite well
    Passed my driving test and now have a car and things.
    Splitting up with my boyfriend is an achievement now I look back on it, I don't know why I was in that relationship for so long.
    Starting volunteering.
    Meeting a fantastic group of people who are the best friends I've ever had.
    Getting my job (although technically I got it in December last year, I only started in January).
  • Options
    got my new computer :yippe:
    got into university
    got fair grades in my A / AS Levels (ABCbbe)
    worked full time for a few weeks in a 'proper' job and 'enjoyed' it too (as in, it wasn't as bad as work is made out to be, complete and utter lack of stress :))

and I think that's it :)

oh, also joined a society at uni which is really great and I love hanging out at their events, if only they had them every week then life would be perfect here :)
  • Options
    Erm Erm Erm.

I managed to get a pass for my year at uni, despite drastically failing, although that was because I was admitted to hospital the night before the exams started. (Not convinced that's really an achievement though).

I 'completed' my industrial placement over the summer, although as that was part time due to health and so I was so very ineffective I'm not sure that really counts either.

I completely failed in my attempt to go back to uni and make this academic year work, was there 5 weeks before coming back home because I wasn't coping.

I did manage to go to Italy as a representative of UK young people as part of Scouting, participate there and support another UK participant who had a congenital heart defect and couldn't travel independantly. I suppose that's an achievement, 1 week out of 52.

I've also helped restart the Scout Troop on the council estate and that's going again pretty well.

Not the best year really.
  • Options
    Achievement in the true sense of the word .. then no i haven't achieved anything. My goalpost's constantly changed when i tried to make plans which made for difficult targets.

Been pondering what 2007 will bring with regard to achievement's though :chin: ...

and i've come up with nothing so far.
  • Options
    I've achieved quite a few things this year:
    - Had the courage to cut contact with my ex who made me extremely unhappy and made me feel very bad about myself
    - Finally realised that I am who I am and if a boy doesn't like it, then thats his problem, not mine. Nothing is wrong with me. This is linked to me finally being confident in how I look.
    - I'm finally happy in life, very happy infact
    - Got a job that 400 people applied for. I was one of the 40 that got the job. Get in. I fucking love it there and don't want to leave in May :( (you have to be a student to work there)
    - Made lots of new friends and chucked the ones who I realised were selfish, self absorbed, two faced dickheads.
    - Passed my 2nd year at uni despite going through loads of shit
    - Other stuff that I can't think of
  • Options
    I haven't really achieved much but if I have to think of some things...
    -I left my college which was attached to my old school with the same old teachers and same people and was just dragging me down, and started at a new college.
    -I actually decided that I will try and get into a University to study Music Industry Management but after a gap year, when a few months ago I was certain I didn't want to go to uni.
    -Recently I've cut down on taking Ecstasy and Cocaine.
    -Finally got my eyebrow pierced

That's about it
  • Options
    I got a 2:1 from University College London in Physical Sciences (think chemistry, physics, maths... not PE, lol).

:yippe:
  • Options
    My achievements:
    • Got my first default notice :yippe:
    • Got fat. Boo.
    • Managed to walk 3 miles uphill without crying and/or rolling back down last night

That is my pathetic little life.
  • Options
    It's a good question and a difficult one to answer... Man it would be easier if it was about the things you regret and all your woes during the year. ;)

So, here's my endeavour:
    -Have been confirmed (Christian sacrament thingie) and this actually had a reverse effect on me, it's drawn out the atheist inside me. ;)
    -Still battling against myself and daring to take initiative, take anything as an example. Trying to exterminate my introversion, slowly and gradually erasing it from me.
    -Have had good times and laughs.
    -Most importantly, I have found myself and unravelled my true dreams. Now all that's left is the chasing. ;) And that is as far away as it gets from this list, what a disaster. :(
    -Raised my grade in a fair amount of subjects and I've reached my goal, now I just need to stick to it and don't lose it. That would be a shame :razz:
    -Socialness improved. room for load of improvement though, and i still wouldn't consider myself satisfied with my social life, far from. What a wreck I've been these days. :(
  • Options
    BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    I received a 2:1 in my degree...which was a dream come true
    I met my wonderful boyfriend
    got a new car
    got onto my new course

worryingly, i think that is it!
  • Options
    Finally passed GNVQ ICT
    Finally decided what I want to do after I've finished school even though I f*cked up at the start of this year.
  • Options
    This year I have been mostly doing:

-Managed to get over to America to work with one of the best people in my field
    -Networked like a mofo and made connections with a ton of people
    -Gave my first poster presentation at a conference
    -Did 2 peer talks
    -Broke up with my long-term girlfriend
    -Went to Vegas
    -Went to my first strip club

Woo. Fairly packed year. Be glad when new year rolls round. This time of year always puts a depressing funk on me...
  • Options
    Finally got my qualification I've worked for the last three years for.
    Split with my no good ex and cut all contact with him.

Thats really all that stands out, roll on 2007, my To Do list is huge already.
  • Options
    Great thread, I was reading a diary/journal thing the other day that I wrote at the end of last year and I was like, damn was that only 12 months ago......

- moved house in January to a much nicer part of London which was a great decision in hindsight
    - got out of the public sector after managers taking the piss with salary (gave my notice 2 weeks after I got the job permanent :lol: ), wasn't easy but no regrets
    - went on holiday to Morocco with a bunch of strangers and had a fabulous time
    - read some life changing books and attended some seminars which helped me focus and realise I wasn't achieving my true potential
    - stopped watching TV, no more brain rot
    - haven't done pills/mushrooms/coke at all this year I don't think, and cut down a lot on the weed, lol to be fair there was no Glastonbury this year which helped, as has the booze
    - jumped off a mountain in the alps (with a parachute), something I always wanted to do and it was awesome....
    - educated myself in the real estate sector, did a mentoring programme and made some good contacts for the future
    - pushed myself to change job again and got into niche sector in IT, better pay better prospects
    - moved house again for work away from my friends and back into another ghetto, which isn't easy but life moves on
    - started training again and changed my diet after a bit of a scare, thats what you get for living on a busy road under a flight path I guess

Basically learning to push my boundaries and not get too comfortable in a rut, and to let go of the past because you can't be a student forever.....but I will be partying hard this Christmas, bring on 2007. :yes:
  • Options
    Great thread, I was reading a diary/journal thing the other day that I wrote at the end of last year and I was like, damn was that only 12 months ago......

- moved house in January to a much nicer part of London which was a great decision in hindsight
    - got out of the public sector after managers taking the piss with salary (gave my notice 2 weeks after I got the job permanent :lol: ), wasn't easy but no regrets
    - went on holiday to Morocco with a bunch of strangers and had a fabulous time
    - read some life changing books and attended some seminars which helped me focus and realise I wasn't achieving my true potential
    - stopped watching TV, no more brain rot
    - haven't done pills/mushrooms/coke at all this year I don't think, and cut down a lot on the weed, lol to be fair there was no Glastonbury this year which helped, as has the booze
    - jumped off a mountain in the alps (with a parachute), something I always wanted to do and it was awesome....
    - educated myself in the real estate sector, did a mentoring programme and made some good contacts for the future
    - pushed myself to change job again and got into niche sector in IT, better pay better prospects
    - moved house again for work away from my friends and back into another ghetto, which isn't easy but life moves on
    - started training again and changed my diet after a bit of a scare, thats what you get for living on a busy road under a flight path I guess

Basically learning to push my boundaries and not get too comfortable in a rut, and to let go of the past because you can't be a student forever.....but I will be partying hard this Christmas, bring on 2007. :yes:

Seems you're setting a good example for us lazy bastards (us being me and anyone else who wants to jump in...). I usually set a goal and when it's a personal one - i.e. friends, relationships, things in my free time - and i rarely fulfil it... self-discipline in that area is crap for me atm.
  • Options
    - Getting halfway through a personal injury claim and NOT giving up on it even though they're being complete twats about it.
    - Completing a grueling interview process to get into college.
    - Getting into college.
    - Not quitting college the minute things got tough.
    - Making friends at college.

My biggest achievement this year is self discovery.. I've done a lot of growing up in the past 12 months and it's been invaluable.