Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Family splits cause social problems - Tory report.

13»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    stargalaxy wrote:
    But these are very unfashionable concepts to the Left-wing mafia that run this country, so we will probably continue to go down this route to social meltdown.

You're not mistaking Labour for a left-wing party again are you?
  • Options
    budda wrote:
    You're not mistaking Labour for a left-wing party again are you?
    Do you have anything to say on the topic of family breakdown? Or is this just another one of your distraction strategies?
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    Do you have anything to say on the topic of family breakdown? Or is this just another one of your distraction strategies?

Distraction strategies? That makes me sound a bit more machevelian than I am.

I said earlier that I thought that couples counselling should be available on the NHS, which I thought would help more couples deal with issues, or worst case situation break up in the best way possible.

Frankly I dont think tax will really do much, people dont get married for those reasons (or at least not many do anyway).

An increase in the social housing budget wouldnt go a miss too.
  • Options
    budda wrote:
    I said earlier that I thought that couples counselling should be available on the NHS, which I thought would help more couples deal with issues, or worst case situation break up in the best way possible.

An increase in the social housing budget wouldnt go a miss too.
    Now that's more like it! I'd agree with both of those ideas. I agree the state can't force couples to stay together, but they can at least try to help them out slightly in the financial stakes. Looks like you and me aren't that far away from each other on this, Mr B. ;)
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    Now that's more like it! I'd agree with both of those ideas. I agree the state can't force couples to stay together, but they can at least try to help them out slightly in the financial stakes. Looks like you and me aren't that far away from each other on this, Mr B. ;)

Frankly I cant really take anything you suggest seriously given your opinions on torture. But thats not related to this thread.

Its all about money though isnt it, and the government doesnt have unlimited amounts of it. I think improvements in social housing would definitely pay for themselves, and possibly the counselling too, but it would be a hard sell to the public.
  • Options
    budda wrote:
    Frankly I cant really take anything you suggest seriously given your opinions on torture. But thats not related to this thread.
    Your love for me is undying, but never mind. :p
    Its all about money though isnt it, and the government doesnt have unlimited amounts of it. I think improvements in social housing would definitely pay for themselves, and possibly the counselling too, but it would be a hard sell to the public.
    I suspect it wouldn't be that difficult to sell. The counselling, for example, would only be attacked by two different groups.
    (1) Daily Mail readers who think that counselling is the ultimate example of a "cotton-wool" culture. You know, the sort of people who frown at the sight of people having a hug in public. Probably haven't had sex since 1958, that sort of person.
    (2) Daily Mail readers (again!) who think that counselling is a waste of money, bearing in mind NICE won't fund Alzheimer's drugs that would cost £2.50 per patient, despite the fact that you can get this on the NHS in Scotland. Which, whilst the drugs in question should be available, doesn't mean counselling is a waste of resources.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    Your love for me is undying, but never mind. :p .

Not really, I just think your views on crime and punishment are unrealistic and inhumane, I dont think you've a fucking clue.
    stargalaxy wrote:
    I suspect it wouldn't be that difficult to sell. The counselling, for example, would only be attacked by two different groups.
    (1) Daily Mail readers who think that counselling is the ultimate example of a "cotton-wool" culture. You know, the sort of people who frown at the sight of people having a hug in public. Probably haven't had sex since 1958, that sort of person.
    (2) Daily Mail readers (again!) who think that counselling is a waste of money, bearing in mind NICE won't fund Alzheimer's drugs that would cost £2.50 per patient, despite the fact that you can get this on the NHS in Scotland. Which, whilst the drugs in question should be available, doesn't mean counselling is a waste of resources.

NICE has to make judgements, and often they are difficult, but the NHS cant pay for everything. As for Scotland, well thats a seperate matter, they can only afford all that because the South-East of England pays for it.
  • Options
    OK then, but this is far more interesting than single parent families.

No it has nothing to do with single-parent families, your just digging.
  • Options
    No it has nothing to do with single-parent families, your just digging.
    Yep. Your point? :p
  • Options
    Yep. Your point? :p
    His sexuality has nothing to do with it. Hes bi, so what? Who quite frankly cares apart from the bitches on here. The point is breakdown of families is causing the lack of structure/respect in society.
  • Options
    His sexuality has nothing to do with it. Hes bi, so what? Who quite frankly cares apart from the bitches on here. The point is breakdown of families is causing the lack of structure/respect in society.
    Because he just dropped it into the conversation, and last time he was on The Site he was straight. Just a point of interest, for God's sake. Don't stress over it.
  • Options
    Because he just dropped it into the conversation, and last time he was on The Site he was straight. Just a point of interest, for God's sake. Don't stress over it.

I'm not. I already knew. I'n not even going to start down this route, its not my place to say anything.
  • Options
    I'm not. I already knew. I'n not even going to start down this route, its not my place to say anything.
    :confused: Well I didn't already know, so I asked him. I don't see what the big deal is. It's just like if you're talking to a friend, and they mention something about themselves that you didn't know.
This discussion has been closed.