Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

A eventfull nightshift.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
A friend of mine was doing the shift yesterday and I myself was sitting in that car already as well doing day and night shifts.

It was never THAT bad tho.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    wait what?
    What are you on about?

Gotta go and catch the bus, finally got my essay done.
    There is a picture as attachment ;(
    I thought it was rather clear.
    I think that maybe to the untrained medical persons on here, such as myself, it is just a picture with a bit of blood on it.
    Perhaps someone insisted on spreading their blood about or was incredibly drunk and lashed out. I dunno though, the OP didn't make it too clear!
    Loopi wrote:
    I think that maybe to the untrained medical persons on here, such as myself, it is just a picture with a bit of blood on it.

For the trained medical people one here, it appears to be really a picture with a bit blood on it.

Well, you brits must be hard boiled.
    "pff... that little gushes of blood? easy easy dude, I'm falling asleep."
    Oh My God! You killed Daffy duck you cunt! Look i can see his feet right there!
    No, it does look bad, but what happened?
    ashlee wrote:
    No, it does look bad, but what happened?

From what I heard "just" an arterial bleeding. Never seen one myself but it's supposed to gush out of the wound.

It's nasty tho considering the usual patient what kind of body liquids he spills around and you have to clean it all up.

Moreover you can't be really sure what kind of illnesses this guy has.
    StrubbleS wrote:
    From what I heard "just" an arterial bleeding. Never seen one myself but it's supposed to gush out of the wound.

It's nasty tho considering the usual patient what kind of body liquids he spills around and you have to clean it all up.

Moreover you can't be really sure what kind of illnesses this guy has.

nice eh
    I had an eventful time at work too.

I was sat at my desk and I started to get a pain in my nose. You know the kind of pain when there's a bogey with sharp edges up there? So, anyway, dashed to the loo to 'mine for nose gold' and out popped the biggest snotter I've seen in my life. A snotter big enough to chisel the 10 commandments on. A snotter so massive, primitive tribes would have worshipped it as a god. A snotter so enormous, it could beat Hulk Hogan in a steel cage match.

So, anyway, it was dragged from my nostril, deposited in a bit of bog paper and flushed. Then I realise that my nose was bleeding! My bogey must have had a knife and took one last slash at me as it was removed. Bit like the end of Predator.

That was my day.
    Infinite wrote:

I was sat and my desk and I started to get a pain in my nose. You know the kind of pain when there's a bogey with sharp edges up there? So, anyway, dashed to the loo to 'mine for nose gold' and out popped the biggest snotter I've seen in my life. A snotter big enough to chisel the 10 commandments on. A snotter so massive, primitive tribes would have worshipped it as a good. A snotter so enourmous, it could beat Hulk Hogan in a steel cage match.

So, anyway, it was dragged from my nostril, deposited in a bit of bog paper and flushed. Then I realise that my nose was bleeding! My bogey must have had a knife and took one last slash at me as it was removed. Bit like the end of Predator.

That was my day.

ha ha that made me laugh. I can familiarise having a terrible cold at the moment. Anyhow, that is post of the week material!!
    Hows the infection control on those blood smears.......? No more work for that van 'til it's all nice and clean again.

My definition of a bad shift was one where I went through 4 or more uniforms.
    ashlee wrote:
    ha ha that made me laugh. I can familiarise having a terrible cold at the moment. Anyhow, that is post of the week material!!

Someone pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeease put this as POTW. I always forget. A big 'snotter' almost shot out of my nose reading that. Hahahaha

edit: and..I dont understanddd. You never told me you did a nightshift job!!
    Rachael wrote:

And I thought he told you everything... ;)
    Infinite wrote:

I was sat at my desk and I started to get a pain in my nose. You know the kind of pain when there's a bogey with sharp edges up there? So, anyway, dashed to the loo to 'mine for nose gold' and out popped the biggest snotter I've seen in my life. A snotter big enough to chisel the 10 commandments on. A snotter so massive, primitive tribes would have worshipped it as a god. A snotter so enormous, it could beat Hulk Hogan in a steel cage match.

That was my day.

I hope you weren't extracting your brain there :nervous:

When I was having a cold I told my friend that I have radioactive slimy snot.
    It was his fault for not believing me (we were under the shower after gym), so I sneezed in my hand, and could pick the snot up like a rope and dangle it around. beat THAT!
    Rachael wrote:

because you are never responding in msn ;) j/k
    you never asked.
    You know I have been civil servant at the ambulance.
    We usually had 4 days shift and 2 days off, so the day's off vary from week to week. The last day of the four was usually a night shift.

@Scary Monster: Yeah. Basically you are right, but (I lack the english idiom again so I will translate a german one...

brb..
    WHOA as we speak I heard a loud WAMMM, it was my sister who fell from a rolling chair while standing on it. I enter the room and she's lying on her side not moving. HOLY SHIT, like The kids in Captain planet I was conjuring up paramedic powers level 3. Trauma check, neuro check, she's fine...
    Jesus christ, reminds me of the time where my mother nearly cut her finger off and I had to rush from my cozy bed to aid (the story is in my thread)... Lucky sods they got me!!

anyway... the german idiom: "You never eat as hot as it's cooked."
    So there are official guidlines and rules of course, but seeing that there are very little ambulance cars in the northern districts of vienna (especially Floridsdorf, where I worked) at night, we just cleaned it with desinfect and paper towels and continued the shift.

Oh I got so many stories, like when we drove with this ancient old ambulance car which had a sulfuracid battery which STANK LIKE THE MOST EVIL OF PUTRED FARTS ever. We had the windows all the way down in deepest winter and the patients wouldn't believe me I hadn't had a few eggs for breakfast.

When I entered our 'base' (for a lack of a better word) at break I entered the men's quarter for one second and everybody was like, "WHO THE HECK FARTED HERE?!". No to mention the cold putrid smell of that shit in all the fabric cushioned parts of the car.

Didn't know you're volunteering as a paramedic scary...
    StrubbleS you crack me up with your threads :thumb:

Blood doesn't bother me at all but I'm a bit peeved that I read that story about snot, I feel ill.
    briggi wrote:
    StrubbleS you crack me up with your threads :thumb:

Blood doesn't bother me at all but I'm a bit peeved that I read that story about snot, I feel ill.

I hope you are sure not to hurt my feelings if I told ya it was dead serious!
    I kid, I feel warm and fuzzy when I can make people laugh.

Oh, that blood isn't a problem is a good mindset for the job, you get used to a lot too. It's funny how many things become automatic (like the basic knack when my sister fell from the chair and might have been unconscious).

About the snot. I know it's not good to imagine, I will provide you with visual evidence next time, my dear briggi.
    Looks like someone sneezed whilst eating their ketchup soaked chips on the way home after a night on the tiles;)