Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Credit/Debit Cards

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I currently have a switch/solo debit card, which does me fine for online buying at the moment, But Ive noticed more and more as i buy things from abroad that a card with Visa or Mastercard would be a hell of a lot more useful, especially when paypal isnt an option.

Is there anyway to get the international power of Visa or Mastercard in a debit card?

What is Maestro? would that serve my purposes.

thanks in advance

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I've got a Nationwide Visa Debit and a NatWest Maestro debit off my bog standard current account. Are you over 18? If you're not you'll have problems and you'll only be able to get Visa Electron which probably won't help much.
    Yeah i am over 18......ripe old age of 21 infact. hehe

Looks like a credit card it is......time to read up i guess, never had cause for one before.

Any tips/advice?
    Do you have a current account? I've always used my Visa debit and not once had a problem, home or abroad, on or off line. You may find that whoever gives you your solo will change it for a visa debit.
    The advice i've always been given as i've been growing up is to avoid credit cards unless they are really nessesary - better to pay for things with money you already have than money you might have in the future.

ETA: Looks like you already follow that, seeing as you're asking if theres any debit cards offering the same advantages of a credit card, not about wether to get one..

Anyway, yeah, maestro is means you can use your card abroad - my solo card with hsbc is a maestro card
    If you get a credit card and use it sensibly, then it's not so bad an idea to have one. Once you get a credit card you then get a credit rating, which loans people will refer to to decide whether or not to give you money. If you have no rating it's very difficult to suddenly get a huge amount of money lent to you.
    I thought i'd found a real bargain yesterday. As my credit rating is shit, i can't even get a debit card to buy stuff on the net, and saw this 'pre-paid credit card'. Basically it's Maestro card that you 'top-up' at the Post Office with cash then you can use it just like a credit card but you're never in debt. Great i thought, then

£4.95p/month fee
    £1.00/transaction
    £2.50/cash withdrawl
    £10 to replace lost card etc

So didn't bother with it.