Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Veiled woman to deliver Channel 4's Xmas message

124»

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    hazell wrote:
    yeah. how come

'Cos Hazell seemed an un-Muslim name - which is very silly assumption on my part ... :)
    hazell wrote:
    as a muslim, i wouldnt be bothered if a chistian delivered an eid message.

But, with reference to your comment above, there would probably be many staunch Muslims who would object ... just as there are, no doubt, staunch Christians who are opposed to the Channel 4 broadcast.

Oh why can't we all just get on! :)
    Regardless of whether non-Christians should be entitled to deliver a Christmas message (and sure as hell they are, just as sure as hell Christmas is not the exclusive property of Christianity) the Channel 4 programme in question is a satirical one. Something that a few people appear to have failed to realise. No religion or institution is beyond satire.
    Aladdin wrote:
    No religion or institution is beyond satire.

I agree with you, but it doesn't work that way in practice. Wave enough offensive placards and scream "death to the infidels" loudly enough, and it seems you can pretty much get away with what you like, not excluding curtailing free speech.
    Aladdin wrote:
    Regardless of whether non-Christians should be entitled to deliver a Christmas message (and sure as hell they are, just as sure as hell Christmas is not the exclusive property of Christianity) the Channel 4 programme in question is a satirical one. Something that a few people appear to have failed to realise. No religion or institution is beyond satire.

satire
    n : witty language used to convey insults or scorn

I doubt the veiled Muslim woman will intentionally be satirical. From what I have read, I am sure her message will be a serious one ... or is Channel 4 using a religious woman of another faith as a vehicle for the channel's own take on 'satire'? Would this, then, be exploitation?
    Why does anyone care? It is just a tv show with some bird in a mask making a statement before she bogs off home. For all we know its all a spoof, it might not be a real muslim woman, it might be Mitchell and Webb or That Bo'Selecta chap in drag. Either way, does it really require 7 pages of posts about it? It's just a tv show that is on for one day.
    Well I disagree that the C4 alternative Christmas message is officially a satirical programme, it may have been on some occasions in the past but I don't think that is its "point".

Of course no religion or institution should be above ridicule or satire, but I think that if (and that's a big if, as I don't think this will be the case) the speech is satirical then practising Christians would have every right to be offended and take issue with it. We all know that the devout Muslim community would take offence - and have in the past - at the first sign of their religion not being taken seriously, so there's no point in disputing that. If Christianity is fair game then every other religion would have to be, and the world would be a fabulous place if they were. Maybe that's what she'll do - poke fun at her own religion and de-mystify the stereotypes and stigma surrounding it. But she won't, so the whole concept and point behind it becomes very skewed... and pretty much lost.
    Bullseye wrote:
    Why does anyone care? It is just a tv show with some bird in a mask making a statement before she bogs off home. For all we know its all a spoof, it might not be a real muslim woman, it might be Mitchell and Webb or That Bo'Selecta chap in drag.

It is a genuine Muslim woman :

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/6210324.stm
    Bullseye wrote:
    Either way, does it really require 7 pages of posts about it? It's just a tv show that is on for one day.

People on this board can debate what they like. Religion may not mean anything to you but it can mean life or death to others - and 'just' a TV program could be unnecessarily offensive. What is the 'point' of satirising Christmas anyway? If you don't like seven pages of this, don't read it.
    I didnt read, i just read the first page and last page then posted.

Religion means little to me, Where as faith in God means a lot. I am a believer with no Religion, what a rebel eh? I am like Jesus, maybe even bigger then Jesus...Oh My God, i just made the same mistake as John Lenon and The B Sharps.

As for Tv, Posters, Etc, i personally don't care about them. However i can see why some people. On the contrasting side i do understand why protests and demonstrations and speaches about one religion over another are offensive. Wow, Epiphany!

Any who, Some Muslim doll is doing some speach, i think IF she does offend or in some way slur Christianity, then it is only fair for an alternative to the alternative Christmas message, where the same is said about her faith. But i do NOT think ch4 are so foolish as to show a message that is just about slurring one religion. Surely it is going to talk about...stuff...tv shows...sports awards...achievements in society, etc. Well we can only hope eh?
    Teagan wrote:
    Oh why can't we all just get on! :)

i agree completely.

if people get offended, then thats life, accept it - do something about it like proving your point - dont go psycho (i recognise its muslims who usually do- bloody muslims). but anyway, it doesnt matter who delivers the christmas mess, lets see what she says first. im guessing if its not satire it'll be something about lets get on with each other etc (or perhaps even if its?).

anyway, hazell isn't my real name Teagan although i might change it by deed poll.
    Kermit it would be unfeasible for everyone to have holiday at their own festival times.

Although the festivals are religious in their creation/background, they are then based mainly on what the majority religion is in the culture of a particular country.

I.e. in a Muslim country they won't have an Xmas holiday but will have the holidays you mentioned..

I don't think that shoud be an issue.....

Equally my girlfriends family, a lot of them are muslims, and I am always invited to their celebrations, should I not be allowed to do so as I am an aetheist? They don't seem to think so..
    Bullseye wrote:
    Any who, Some Muslim doll is doing some speach, i think IF she does offend or in some way slur Christianity, then it is only fair for an alternative to the alternative Christmas message, where the same is said about her faith. But i do NOT think ch4 are so foolish as to show a message that is just about slurring one religion. Surely it is going to talk about...stuff...tv shows...sports awards...achievements in society, etc. Well we can only hope eh?

I agree. She won't slur Christianity, I am sure. In fact, nowhere have I said that she shouldn't do the message or if she would slur Christianity ... :) ... but it's still fun to debate! ;)
    hazell wrote:
    i agree completely.

if people get offended, then thats life, accept it - do something about it like proving your point - dont go psycho (i recognise its muslims who usually do- bloody muslims). but anyway, it doesnt matter who delivers the christmas mess, lets see what she says first. im guessing if its not satire it'll be something about lets get on with each other etc (or perhaps even if its?).

anyway, hazell isn't my real name Teagan although i might change it by deed poll.

:) By the way, I wasn't against a Muslim woman (or any other religion) doing the alternative message .... although I don't see the point, to be honest. Unless, of course, the message is about peace, love and tolerance towards all - in the spirit of what we have grown accustomed to what the Christmas message should be. :)

I kinda just got involved in the discussion because someone said that as Islam, Christianity and Jews believe in 'one' god, that is has to be the 'same' god. I disagree. And I am not saying one is more right than the other two either. Just good old-fashioned debate ... :yes:
    yeah i don't see the point either. but i wouldnt have problem with it if the shoe was on the other foot.

but its ch4. i wouldnt be surprised if it was chris morris in drag.
    briggi wrote:
    Of course no religion or institution should be above ridicule or satire, but I think that if (and that's a big if, as I don't think this will be the case) the speech is satirical then practising Christians would have every right to be offended and take issue with it. We all know that the devout Muslim community would take offence - and have in the past - at the first sign of their religion not being taken seriously, so there's no point in disputing that. If Christianity is fair game then every other religion would have to be, and the world would be a fabulous place if they were. Maybe that's what she'll do - poke fun at her own religion and de-mystify the stereotypes and stigma surrounding it. But she won't, so the whole concept and point behind it becomes very skewed... and pretty much lost.
    Brilliant briggi :yes:
    squeal wrote:
    Yeah but that is becoming a joke. Celebrating Christmas is a British Christian celebration, it's just another day to them and we'll have to listen extra heard if anyone bothers watching it because you can't see her mouth to understand better what she is saying!

everyone here who plans to celebrate christmas raise your hand if your actually a christian! christmas has long ago become a general holiday rather than a strictly religious one, which is fair seeing as it started as some kind of pagan fesitval that the christians stole so they could celebrate with out going to hell, and from what i can remember jesus was born in september.....i dont really know if having a veiled muslim on the alternative xmas message is a good thing (personally i dont care it doesnt bother me) considering the amount of fuss there has been in recent months about women wearing the veil they seem to be asking for trouble and wanting to upset their viewers, although maybe theyr doing it to try to change the public opinion about veils to try and get the general public to accept that people are actually ok...
    Sopycookie wrote:
    everyone here who plans to celebrate christmas raise your hand if your actually a christian! christmas has long ago become a general holiday rather than a strictly religious one, which is fair seeing as it started as some kind of pagan fesitval that the christians stole so they could celebrate with out going to hell, and from what i can remember jesus was born in september.....i dont really know if having a veiled muslim on the alternative xmas message is a good thing (personally i dont care it doesnt bother me) considering the amount of fuss there has been in recent months about women wearing the veil they seem to be asking for trouble and wanting to upset their viewers, although maybe theyr doing it to try to change the public opinion about veils to try and get the general public to accept that people are actually ok...
    Sep-Oct time, your correct. For the life of me I cant remember where I read it.
    I want time off to celebrate the dancing baby, flying spagetti monster and Russell's teapot please :D
    Why is the exact date Jesus was born somehow relevant? If he was born in Spetember or July or March I don't see the difference, we'd still have one date a year we would celebtrate Christmas on, and surely this debate would be the same one only around that other date, wouldn't it?
    bluewisdom wrote:
    Why is the exact date Jesus was born somehow relevant? If he was born in Spetember or July or March I don't see the difference, we'd still have one date a year we would celebtrate Christmas on, and surely this debate would be the same one only around that other date, wouldn't it?
    Exactly.
    J wrote:
    It doesn't make sense that they don't celebrate christmas as one of thier prophets is Jesus of Nazareth!?
    They dont see Jesus being born as the son of god on Christmas day.
    Sounds like an explosive atmosphere
    HIT wrote:
    They dont see Jesus being born as the son of god on Christmas day.

Neither do I. Doesn't stop me celebrating Christmas.
    Blagsta wrote:
    Neither do I. Doesn't stop me celebrating Christmas.

Same here