Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Scam Warning in Riga, Latvia

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    I've heard of that scam before in Russia. Quite a common trick.

Serves the cunts right for ruining one of the nicest cities in Europe just like they did with Prague.
  • Options
  • Options
    BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    seriously thats bollocks, there are quite a lot of brits that go away to these european cities and dont have any problems or cause fuss at all, i think its fair harsh to tar everyone the same. ive personally been too both prague and riga and love them both, never had any problems with the locals, and never caused any problems in either city.

i was in prague last week with a group of other british lads, and we mingled successfully with locals and other tourists absolutly fine. this is the 2nd time ive been to prague this year and still fail to see these "stag groups" that have apparently ruined it...they just aint there....i dont think its suitable for a stag do either, its not that sort of place....

i think its all down to people who think they are a cut above the rest of people who like to travel to different cities, well fuck right off, i'll continue to go to new and different places around europe, will take my friends with me, get drunk and mess about, its called a holiday.

anyway back to the point at hand, i thought riga was a very nice welcoming city, and find it a bit of a shock to read stories like that, obviously these kind of stories are usually blown out of all proportions, but theres no smoke without fire...

i really recommend everyone visits Riga, i give it 8/10.

anyone who has a problem with seeing brits abroad should fuck off further away next time.

by the way, this is koe_182 posting and not bunnie.
  • Options
  • Options
    Bunnie wrote:
    seriously thats bollocks, there are quite a lot of brits that go away to these european cities and dont have any problems or cause fuss at all, i think its fair harsh to tar everyone the same. ive personally been too both prague and riga and love them both, never had any problems with the locals, and never caused any problems in either city...

Then why do most European countries balk at the sight of British tourists arriving? Why did the Latvian government call British tourists 'savages'. Personally I'm pretty sure it's the people who are ruining the city/cities who are the ones going to the strip clubs in the first place.
    Bunnie wrote:
    i think its all down to people who think they are a cut above the rest of people who like to travel to different cities, well fuck right off, i'll continue to go to new and different places around europe, will take my friends with me, get drunk and mess about, its called a holiday.

I don't think I am - I know I am.

Since when did getting drunk and messing about constitute a holiday?
    You have inadvertently proved my point.

Bunnie wrote:
    anyone who has a problem with seeing brits abroad should fuck off further away next time.

I try, I try but the fuckers show up in all places.
  • Options
    That's what you get in the former Soviet bloc.

I'm not quite sure who the savages are...some people who get pissed, or some people who think its fine to beat the crap out of them for extortion. I'll give y'all a hint- it isn't the Brits.

And another bit of food for thought- if it wasn't for the Latvians setting up strip clubs and begging everyone to come there (I'm sure everyone is awaere that EasyJet choose destinations based on the tax breaks they get) then there wouldn't be a stag do industry.
  • Options
    sophia wrote:
    Woah there koe, no need to take it personally.

its just one of those things tho, it always seems to be blamed on british people who go abroad and enjoy a bit of a drink and a laugh, in all the european cities ive been to (im racking up quite a few now) there seems to be as many people from other countries, mainly spanish, italian and germans, but they dont get the bad press that the brits do for some reason.
    Then why do most European countries balk at the sight of British tourists arriving? Why did the Latvian government call British tourists 'savages'. Personally I'm pretty sure it's the people who are ruining the city/cities who are the ones going to the strip clubs in the first place.

i think you'll find what you just wrote is complete ass. Ive spoke to quite a few czech people and latvian people on this kind of thing, its one of the questions i like to ask when meeting the locals, and not one of them has ever said its a bad thing, most of them said they welcomed the british tourists as they aint afraid to spend their money.
    I don't think I am - I know I am.

Since when did getting drunk and messing about constitute a holiday?
    You have inadvertently proved my point.

EXACTLY proving my point, you think because you've travelled a bit that you have somehow earnt the right to look down on more casual travellers who just want to go and have a good time, you're worse than the stag do people in my eyes, at least they are making an effort to go somewhere different, rather than all heading to blackpool or somewhere equally shit. if you have this kind of opinion of these places and the people that are going to be there, why do you bother in the first place???

and since when didnt doing that constitute a holiday? whenever i get a break from work and get to spend time with my nearest and dearest, wether its here or abroad i take it as a holiday, i quite enjoy a drink every now and then and just chat shit and have fun with my buddies.
    I try, I try but the fuckers show up in all places.

you seem to have serious issues with your fellow countrymen, if you cant stand us that much, im sure there will be some obscure corner of the world where wont see many, saw that Happy Feet tonight, im sure those penguins will welcome ya.
    Kermit wrote:
    And another bit of food for thought- if it wasn't for the Latvians setting up strip clubs and begging everyone to come there (I'm sure everyone is awaere that EasyJet choose destinations based on the tax breaks they get) then there wouldn't be a stag do industry.

100% spot on, im sure that noone in the Latvian or any other government on the same scale will be complaining at the drastic rise in tourism and all the money that it brings in.....

oh well, just a few points there.
  • Options
    koe_182 wrote:
    i think you'll find what you just wrote is complete ass. Ive spoke to quite a few czech people and latvian people on this kind of thing, its one of the questions i like to ask when meeting the locals, and not one of them has ever said its a bad thing, most of them said they welcomed the british tourists as they aint afraid to spend their money.

Well I know the Spanish, French, Italians, Dutch and Germans generally have a dim view of us abroad. Perhaps we're slightly better received by the Eastern Europeans as they need our cash more than the more occidental Europeans but the phenomenon of 'Brits abroad' is certainly well established in the more traditional foreign destinations.

koe_182 wrote:
    EXACTLY proving my point, you think because you've travelled a bit that you have somehow earnt the right to look down on more casual travellers who just want to go and have a good time, you're worse than the stag do people in my eyes, at least they are making an effort to go somewhere different, rather than all heading to blackpool or somewhere equally shit. if you have this kind of opinion of these places and the people that are going to be there, why do you bother in the first place???

Ok, you clearly failed to notice the 'slight' irony in my post.
    I'm not as stupid as to contradict myself in consecutive sentences. I'm off to do a sodding Ph.D next year (*fingers crossed*) for God's sake.

koe_182 wrote:
    and since when didnt doing that constitute a holiday? whenever i get a break from work and get to spend time with my nearest and dearest, wether its here or abroad i take it as a holiday, i quite enjoy a drink every now and then and just chat shit and have fun with my buddies.

But that's not the be all and end all of a holiday. You can do that here.

koe_182 wrote:
    you seem to have serious issues with your fellow countrymen, if you cant stand us that much, im sure there will be some obscure corner of the world where wont see many, saw that Happy Feet tonight, im sure those penguins will welcome ya.

Like all people of the world, individually, the vast majority of people are fantastic but put together, they do assume a distinctive group mentality and mindset. I love the English, I think they're fantastic people but especially abroad, stick enough of them together and they become ghastly. Just like every other nationality in the world. Just my experience.