Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Do You Worry About Getting HIV?

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Bri-namite wrote:
    No.

I'm a "do first, think later" sort of person when it comes to my own wellbeing. It'll come back to bit me on the arse someday.

And the other people you might have passed it on to a well ... and inncocents - like your children.
  • Options
    Sometimes in a professional sense, I'm scared of needlestick injuries and the risk of contraction that way but lifestyle wise i dont worry no. I find it a fascinating topic tbh
  • Options
    RubberSkin wrote:
    PLus of course there's HCV, which is when a person with HIV contracts Hep C

:confused: HCV = Hepatitis C Virus.

I don't worry about HIV in a lifestyle way, professionally it's a 1 in 300 chance if I were to be unlucky enough to be exposed to HIV+ blood in a sharps injury - practically impossible due to nature of work.

Interesting subject, education is clearly the way forward.
  • Options
    Well HCV may well mean Hep C Virus, but it also indicates a person with HIV and Hep C
  • Options
    No although I'm more concerned about getting another STI. I'm more owrried about my mum getting it as shes a nurse.
  • Options
    Yeah I worry about it. Ia sk partners when they were last tested, who they've slept with since, when those people where tested etc etc. And I go get tested myself. I don't believe people who tell me they're clean, becuase they "know" they are and all that other crap. Yes, myabe I'm paranoid, but I've had a few partners and am definately clean, so it's working for me.

ETA: By "clean" I mean free from detectable STIs, not that the opposite would be "dirty". x
  • Options
    i am studying this at the moment as i am going over to africe (mombassa) to do a project in an orphanage where chldrens parents have died of aids so i have all the information i need to protect myself. not just in a sexual way but in other ways as well
  • Options
    I guess I am a bit worried about getting something and I never take chances and always rubber up. I'm actually more worried about some of my mates, most of which bareback. One of them jokes about going to the clinic and it's almost like he thinks you got to be a bit of a paranoid loser if you wear a condom. He doesn't really give a shit who he shags without one, and some of these woman aren't the sort you'd touch even if you were paid to do so with a large pole.

I was with a woman in the summer and she was almost offended when I said about using a condom. She was like "OMG, what you trying to say? I haven't got anything!". And I'm thinking "Yeah, like I gonna take a chance with anyone".
  • Options
    im absolutely shit scared, about HIV and any other disease.

ive had unprotected sex with 3 people in as many months.
    i should really go and get checked out but you can only do it at the hospital which is ages away and on a tuesday when im supposed to be at college. and im really in denial. worries me horribly though.
  • Options
    Makoto wrote:
    I guess I am a bit worried about getting something and I never take chances and always rubber up. I'm actually more worried about some of my mates, most of which bareback. One of them jokes about going to the clinic and it's almost like he thinks you got to be a bit of a paranoid loser if you wear a condom. He doesn't really give a shit who he shags without one, and some of these woman aren't the sort you'd touch even if you were paid to do so with a large pole.

I was with a woman in the summer and she was almost offended when I said about using a condom. She was like "OMG, what you trying to say? I haven't got anything!". And I'm thinking "Yeah, like I gonna take a chance with anyone".
    Same here. :yes:

My mates have and do sleep around, I try warning them about the consequences that could happen, but they give me this BS saying "A McDonald's dont taste as good through a bag" or something like that. I tried, they know the risks its down to them.

I am actually proud that I have never had sex with a stranger without a condom. I'm being responsible, and sometimes no matter how tempting it is, its worth it in the long run. IMO
  • Options
    Yup agree there HIT. My ex used to say "Ohh, you don't have to wear a condom, I don't mind".. or something like that.

Kind of made me even more wary since she was talking about wanting my kids!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    Tbh it;s only through reading this thread that I've become worried about it, because although I dont have a habit of sleeping with people sans protection, I do do a lot of semi extreme sports and am constantly covered in scratches and bruises- does that apply? Feel a bit stupid now... :S
  • Options
    AmsyBamsy wrote:
    Tbh it;s only through reading this thread that I've become worried about it, because although I dont have a habit of sleeping with people sans protection, I do do a lot of semi extreme sports and am constantly covered in scratches and bruises- does that apply? Feel a bit stupid now... :S
    Actually you have made a fair point. We all assume catching infections through sexual activities but never consider other things.

I dont think you have anything to worry about because there no loss of blood which others with open wounds roll around in. Dont worry about STI'S though. ;)
  • Options
    HIT wrote:
    Actually you have made a fair point. We all assume catching infections through sexual activities but never consider other things.

I dont think you have anything to worry about because there no loss of blood which others with open wounds roll around in. Dont worry about STI'S though. ;)
    :thumb: Cheers
  • Options
    im absolutely shit scared, about HIV and any other disease.

ive had unprotected sex with 3 people in as many months.
    i should really go and get checked out but you can only do it at the hospital which is ages away and on a tuesday when im supposed to be at college. and im really in denial. worries me horribly though.

I think the worry of not knowing and wondering is horrible. If you have no symptoms but have been at risk and are now worried, you should get tested. Just explain that you're worried. Last time I went I went to a different town coz it was almost impossible to get tested locally, and even then it wouldn't have been at any time I could do without messing up my day and responsibilities. The people were lovely, even when I phoned them twice to say I was lost, lol. If you find you are clear you can relax, and if you find you have something you can begin treatment and not infect others. I've had to wait ten days for my blood reults everytime but got the cultures almost imediately, which was enough to ease anxiety.
  • Options
  • Options
    Sofie wrote:
    No thank you.

*Shivers unnecessary* :nervous:
  • Options
    Men must not consider themselves protected

Dr Kevin De Cock
    World Health Organization