Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Dead phone

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
My phone went swimming in some rice krispies and now it doesn't work :crying:

It looked like it was coming round earlier by flashing its lights but then it gave up the fight

GAH i haven't got a house phone!

so sad :( it was lovely and pink

Comments

• Options
    Remove the battery and leave it in the airing cupboard for a couple of days. Might come back to life once it has dried out properly - worst thing you can do with electronics is attempt to use them whilst they are wet.
  • Options
    Have you tried taking the phone to pieces and leaving the parts to dry out properly? Saw something about it on some channel 5 show and it seemed to work well. Mind you, they never used milk lol.
    /Edit

Do what person above said and see what happens :)
  • Options
    worst thing you can do with electronics is attempt to use them whilst they are wet.

oops...:blush:
  • Options
    Last year i dropped my phone (only had it for 6 weeks was a xmas pressie from my other half :blush: ) and i dropped it into a pint of water! Was in bed dreaming that i was falling off a boat and all of a sudden i heard a plop...thought it was me falling in the stormy sea, but alas no it was my beloved phone :crying: Left it in the airing cupboard for 2 weeks but it was well and truly dead! :o
  • Options
    Though it is safer to drop a phone in water than it is to dropping it in a pint!
  • Options
    I work for 3, and this bloke emailed the other week cause his phone was apparently water damaged.

One of my colleagues a few thousand miles away told him that we'd had a look at the handset and decided that the cause of the fault was that he'd had it in his pocket when he'd gone swimming :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Mine had an adventure in the washing machine back in June :( I think it would have been ok with the water, I think it was the heat from the tumble drying that killed it in the end :crying:
  • Options
    rachie004 wrote:
    Have lost all my numbers though as they were saved to my phone :(*hint for people to give me their numbers again*

Honestly ! :rolleyes: ... :p

Why the hate for the phone, clearly it didnt nosedive itself in the toilet, you threw it, i know the truth ! :razz:
    *will give you my number again laters*
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    MrG wrote:
    Though it is safer to drop a phone in water than it is to dropping it in a pint!

Or in hot chocolate. That is how one of my phones came to a sticky (quite literally!) end :(
  • Options
    Dr PirateDr Pirate Posts: 8,303 Legendary Poster
    Your phone wasn't alive in the first place :x
  • Options
    apparently milk is the worst thing you can drop it in

lots of phone companies/phone shops can fix water damaged phones, but not ones in milk

maybe it`s because it dries hard? not sure, but thats what i`ve been told by someone who works in o2
  • Options
    i dropped mine down the toilet once and it has free fell 20 foot twice and it still rings to tell the tale!
  • Options
    Littleali wrote:
    lots of phone companies/phone shops can fix water damaged phones, but not ones in milk

Only if they replace the PCB. Water corrodes the tracks - at which point the board is scrap, and the phone is essentially rebuilt. If the phone is not powered on when wet, water damage will be far, far smaller. Even if it appears to work, turn it off, remove the battery, and get it dry.

Yes, I used to repair phones for Nokia. :)