Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Leaving Uni

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Erm, so yeah, I'm thinking of leaving Uni.

The course (English Lit & Journalism) isn't what I expected. Well, it's much harder than I expected, put it that way. I don't really feel comfortable whith what I'm learning, particularly the English side - I hate it. I just don't know my stuff. And I feel as though they expect me to know what they're going on about when I don't have a clue. There's just so much work to do, and I can't do it, it's too hard.

To be honest, I only came to University because I didn't know what else to do, and I didn't want to go into full time work and feel as though I'd missed out on one of the most amazing opportunities of my life. I was scared of regretting it. And, to me, I liked the sound of having a degree. I wanted (and still do, I guess) to tell people I hada degree so that I sound good. So that I sound clever, and I'm not just another kid going to get a random office job.

I've been thinking whether getting a degree really does get you somewhere better. And I've come to the conclusion it's to do with luck, to an extent. There's a fair chance I could get a degree and not be better off than my friends who went straight to work after A-Levels. And there's a chance I could. But I don't know if it's worth the gamble. Is it really worth me being unhappy and struggling for a few years just to say "I have a degree"? And I figure if I'm already behind and struggling, it's not going to get any easier. Especially with exams coming up in Jan, I just don't think I have the knowledge to pass them.

If I do leave, there's nothing to stop me coming back, I guess in a years/ two years/ three years time. Maybe then I'll have had a chance to save money and prepare myself for the course (ie, already be clued up on what they're teaching). It was a pretty rushed decision too. I was adament I wasn't getting into Uni, and only decided to go about 3 weeks before I was due to start.

I just feel so stuck in a rut. I'm split 50/50 and I really don't know which way to go. I'm heading towards leaving, at the moment, but I don't want to be a let down, I don't want to be a failure. I hate giving up. I'm just so lost.

I guess everyone feels like this at times - it's a big adjustment.

I want a degree. But I just don't think it's for me.

There is absolutely no point to this thread. I just needed a rant and to get things off my chest.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Tis good to get these things off your chest. I was similar when I started last year, I'd had my heart set on going to Glasgow to read French and German. Then along came results day and I didn't get in. So I fretted and thought about resitting my a levels, spending a year crying and drinking wine, getting a job and then just took a clearing place here in Manchester at MMU. Since arriving I've had at least two full "I'm dropping out" episodes, where I just think it's not for me, but at the end of the day I don't know what I'd rather do, and when its working here and I'm working I'm happy so I'm sticking with it. I found coming back after christmas helped me a lot, first term is always a bit crazy, personally I just went out 4 times a week and took a lot of drugs, but you start to feel more settled around January. You are most definitely not a failure or a let down if you decide to leave, it is a hugely brave thing to do if you really aren't happy. As you said the opportunity to return is always there. Have you tried talking to any of your tutors/lecturers?
    Yeh, I thought probably knowing I'm going home so soon is perhaps making it worse. It's just I'm not disciplined enough to make myself do the work, which is part of the reason I'm finding it hard to stay on top of things.

I haven't spoken to my tutors yet. I wouldn't speak to my English tutor, anyway, because he has made no attempt to try and get to know me, help me along etc. My journalism tutor is ok, although he can be very patronising at times really, and that really isn't what I need just now.

I need a good old chat with my mum I think. I just reckon that with Christmas and everything, I won't want to go back.

I wish there was an easy answer, sometimes.
    Och they are not the kind of tutors you need. Yeh i do think it's a good idea to go home chat to your mum and just see what happens. You might find you don't wanna go back at all, or that you are quite missing it.It is such a huge adjustment, its like being at school but not because its up to if you go to classes or do your work, it takes a while to get into it.
    Yeh I guess so. Thanks :)

I'll probably never be satisfied - always thinking I've done the wrong thing! Ah well, what can you do, eh?!
    I work in a "random office job" whilst doing a degree part time. I sit next to a woman with a degree in Fine Art and eat lunch with my friend who has a degree in French and history. None of the managers in my office have a degree but they all earn shed loads more than we mere drones do. I guess my point is that having a degree isn't the be all and end all of life. Do what makes you happy. :)
    Talk to your mum, and other people and see how you're feeling after the break. Lots of people get fed up with uni at this point in the term, so don't write things off yet. One thing to consider would to finish this year properly and then do something else, rather than dropping out part way through the year.
    BumbleBee wrote:
    I guess my point is that having a degree isn't the be all and end all of life. Do what makes you happy. :)
    correct

i have a degree but cant get work because i lack experience!

like you say, i think a lot of it is down to luck, lots of people walk straight out of school, get an office job and are promoted by the time they are 20

other people slave away in education for 5+years and find it hard to get a job

just do what makes you happy, no good staying in uni if it`ll make you miserable, it`s just not worth it x

what year are you in?
    i had serious thoughts of leaving uni in my first year around the same time as you. i'm so glad i stayed. i assume your units may be changing next semester/next year? you might find them more interesting.
    Yeh, my units do change next semester..Unfortunately they don't sound all that great. But I'll just see how I go I guess. Only time will tell etc..

Thanks guys :)
    Something like 75% of students consider giving up their courses. It's not unusual.

Have a think about it over the break. If you don't want to go back, then leave. At least if you leave at this point you won't have invested too much into it. You could always go back later, like you say.

Really it does sound like you are not happy.

The other thing you could do is look into transferring to a different course or uni.
    BumbleBee wrote:
    I work in a "random office job" whilst doing a degree part time. I sit next to a woman with a degree in Fine Art and eat lunch with my friend who has a degree in French and history. None of the managers in my office have a degree but they all earn shed loads more than we mere drones do. I guess my point is that having a degree isn't the be all and end all of life. Do what makes you happy. :)

:yes: In my last job i was higher up, and getting paid more, than a handful of people with degrees, and i've only got average GCSES.

Speak to your mum, mums always sort things out :)
    LacyMay wrote:
    In my last job i was higher up, and getting paid more, than a handful of people with degrees, and i've only got average GCSES.

That may be true, but long term it is often the case that a lack of formal qualifications can become a stumbling block.
    well it depends on what previous experience you have and what they feel that you would be able to bring to their company etc - it's about how you sell yourself aswell as what qualifications you have. my sister had reasonably good gcses but never completed college or uni (she gave both a try!). she then landed a job earning more than my mum who is quite high up in the medical doo-daa.
    That may be true, but long term it is often the case that a lack of formal qualifications can become a stumbling block.

Statistically maybe, but that also depends on what type of work it is. There'll be certain jobs you can't do without formal qualifications, but these days you can do most by working your way up or whatever. You can get further on experience half the time.
    Very valid point, but it will vary depending on what career you are interested in.

Look at the things you're interested in doing in the future, do you need a degree to do them?

I know I do, hence why I'm doing one.
    If it's the course you're not happy with, have you considered changing to a different one, or maybe dropping the english and just doing journalism if that's possible at your uni?

Most people have up and downs at uni at various times. As for whether you need a degree, my mum decided not to go to uni so never got a degree and has since not been able to do some things that she would like to because of it. She has now been a teaching assistant for nearly ten years and would make a great teacher but can't take a teaching post beacuse she never got her a degree. As LacyMay said in many careers you can work your way up without a degree but you are limited in others.

Another option is doing a part time degree while you work somewhere. That way you can spread it over a longer timeframe but at the same time earn money and get experience.
    Hmm. I think a big problem for me is not knowing what I want to do. It sounds pretty silly, I know, to have just gone to Uni and done a fairly random course, but the truth is I don't have a clue what I want to do or become in the future. That's one reason I'm doing English - I figured it'd be applicable to everything and would be appealing to employers.

To be fair, I don't think I'd be overly enthusiastic about any course I did - I'm just not that sort of person to excited about the degree I'm doing. Unfortunately I can't just do journalism at my University, it's part of a combined course.

Pfft. I'm just stuck in a rut really. Neither option appeals to me too much right now, I think I'll always have a regret about one or the other.

I have a feeling I'll come back after Christmas. I don't want to give up now just because I'm finding the work hard. I'd rather look back and know that I still gave it a shot despite the fact I was struggling. At least that way I can't kick myself.
    This is how I felt this time last year. Pretty much exactly how I felt, from what you've said here.

I dropped out, worked for a year and reapplied on the offchance I'd decide to come back to uni, and it's done me the world of good. I'm so much happier with my course now, even though I miss my mates and the lifestyle from last year like crazy.

There's no easy answer, basically. There's only you knows what to do and what's best, and you need to think so hard about it. I reckon deciding to leave uni last year was the hardest choice I've ever had to make, by a long shot, and it's taken me til now to know for certain that it was the right decision.

Sooo, yeah. No-one can tell you what to do, but I totally understand how you just want to get it off your chest. If you ever want to rant about it to someone that's been there, feel free to drop me a PM. xx
    Hey, emmm....I dunno if you're a fresher or not, but I am, and I went through that exact same thing at the start of the year. I really didn't think uni was for me, but I think you just need time to settle. It's taken me basically the whole first Semester to even half sort of settle, but now I am starting to enjoy the course, which is English as well.

If you're finding the work really hard, go see your tutors, they are there to help, and if they are anything like my English tutors, they will be very helpful and understanding should you approach them with any problems. Hope that helps, at least a little bit? :)

capo2
    i thought about dropping out all the way through uni, ended up finishing with a third.

looking back, i should have dropped out after my second year, (or at least posponed my 3rd year).