Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

And it's over.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Well, after nearly 6 years my girlfriend and I have split up... :( The day I came back from America I went over to see her and told her straight away that I was leaving her. It was horrible, particularly because she thought I was joking and started laughing... So, many tears later (almost all from me) I left, collected my stuff the next day, left a letter, and haven't spoken to her since Tuesday.... It ended up when I was away that I realised that I was really unhappy with the relationship, and I had spoken with my Dad about it on Father's Day, so it's been in the works for a while now. When I was away I realised that I wanted my life to be in the States, while she wants to stay in Glasgow. I also don't want to get married or move in together, so that played a major part as well. I mean, I think that going to the States was basically so I could get some perspective on the situation, cause it's really hard to leave someone when you see them all the time. I suppose it's the whole comfort thing at play. Anyway, really sad that it's all over, but I know in my heart that this is for the best. I invested a lot of time and effort in our relationship, but I never really felt that it was reciprocated, so I think spliting up was the best thing to do. This really doesn't have a point to it, so apologies for that. I just needed somewhere to 'vent'... :(

Comments

• Options
    Well done *hugs* 6 years is a very long time and i can't imagine how hard that must have been for you. Good Luck for the future and enjoy :D
  • Options
    awwww sometimes its harder to be the dumper than the dumpee!

chin up

:)
  • Options
    Awww hun. Last summer I broke up with my boyfriend of 2 years. I'd known for a good 6 months that things weren't as they should be, but you get used to having them around and I guess you get nervous about what it would be like without them. You've done the right thing though, and I promise you will feel so much better really soon
  • Options
    Dont apologise for postin it.
    sorry to hear about your split hope everything works out for the best
  • Options
    aww, thats hard, but if you know its not working, then you had no choice.
  • Options
    Best wishes ... going through this myself and know how tough it can be. Glad you are able to remove yourself from the situation (Wish I could). It will get better.
  • Options
    *hugs* :)
  • Options
    I left my ex after 6 years too and i knew i was doing the right thing too but it was hard. It does get easier though.
    Look forward to your future.
  • Options
    I left my ex after 3 1/2 years, he was a total bully and left me with zero self esteem. Fortunatly some one else came along and made me feel that i was worthwhile, so i ended it to pursue a relationship elsewhere. Even though i knew i had to end things as i was deeply unhappy it was still the hardest thing i've ever had to do. I hope i'll never have to hear a grown man beg and cry as much as he did, ever. It left me feeling emotionally drained and i felt like the world's biggest bitch. I can empathise with how you must feel right now, but at the end of the day you did what was best.
  • Options
    I left mine six years later than I should have :D
  • Options
    Pull yourself together....
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    jayjay620 wrote:
    Pull yourself together....

:confused:

Glad to hear you had a good time in Arizona KofG. Hope you're well ;) I think you've been really brave and have done well to follow your heart.
  • Options
    bit coldhearted don't you think?
  • Options
    KofG, sorry to hear it mate. It sucks when something that has affected your life so greatly comes to an end. All i can suggest is keep your head up and look forward. Someday you will (hopefully) look back and be happy about your time spent together without any what ifs or regrets.
    Time is your friend!
  • Options
    Thanks for the support everyone, it's really appreciated. It was really hard to do it, and it took 3 months of me not being with her to do it. The whole comfort and security thing is one of the hardest things to give up. I really should've broken up with her before I left because I'd been unhappy for a while (I spoke to my Dad about it near father's day), but I thought that going away would give me some perspective on the situation. And when I was away I really realised I didn't feel the same way about her as I did a while ago... :(
    bit coldhearted don't you think?

Yeah, it was cold hearted, but it was also the kindest way to do it. I had made up my mind to break up with her when I got back, and I could have waited until I had been back for a month, until after Christmas, until our anniversary... I could have done it over the phone while I was away. I felt that the best thing to do was to do it immediately the day I got back. I also wanted to do it face to face. Honestly, it was one of the hardest things I've ever had to do, and I hated hurting her, but this is the best for both of us in the long run :(
  • Options
    I know how you feel, dude. I broke up with my live-in boyfriend of nearly 5 years yesterday, and it's weird as fuck. I think it makes it harder when neither of you has really done anything wrong, it's just that things aren't right, cause you can't chuck around blame in the same way.

Anyhoo, nothing really constructive to add, just that I know how you're feeling, and I know from the past that it does get easier. Just keep reminding yourself that by cutting it off where you did, you can keep those years as good memories, rather than staying and getting to the point where you just resent each other.

Must be something in the water. My brother and his girlfriend broke up a few weeks ago after something like 8 years, with a child and a house. So you can imagine my parents are well chuffed at the prospect of having both their adult children moving home over the christmas period!
  • Options
    KoG, that was a really brave and mature thing to do thumbs up for you. It may feel hard now but you'll be glad you did it in the long run. Hope you feel better.

And you too kaffrin btw!
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster

Yeah, it was cold hearted,

I think Johnny was actually responding to JayJay saying pull yourself together ;)
  • Options
    kaffrin wrote:
    I know how you feel, dude. I broke up with my live-in boyfriend of nearly 5 years yesterday, and it's weird as fuck. I think it makes it harder when neither of you has really done anything wrong, it's just that things aren't right, cause you can't chuck around blame in the same way.

Anyhoo, nothing really constructive to add, just that I know how you're feeling, and I know from the past that it does get easier. Just keep reminding yourself that by cutting it off where you did, you can keep those years as good memories, rather than staying and getting to the point where you just resent each other.

Must be something in the water. My brother and his girlfriend broke up a few weeks ago after something like 8 years, with a child and a house. So you can imagine my parents are well chuffed at the prospect of having both their adult children moving home over the christmas period!

*hugs*

hope you're okay. x
  • Options
    **Helen** wrote:
    I think Johnny was actually responding to JayJay saying pull yourself together ;)

yeah, that was it:)

sorry about what happened to you KoG, hope you get better
  • Options
    kaffrin wrote:

Sorry to hear that kaff, hope your holding out ok and stuff.

King of glasgow, i know it takes a lot of bottle to do what you did but, you did it for the right reasons and for the best, it wouldn't have been fair with either of you to just keep on going, i know it's hard not to feel guilty but it would have been worse just to continue with teh relatioship just for the saje of it. Time is the healer and all that.
  • Options
    I recognise so many of you from when I used to post more here, and in a way it's comforting to be going through the same thing. Weird how that happens :)
  • Options
    Yeah, I hear you Byny. It is really comforting knowing that some of us are going through this at the same time. As hard as it is, that makes me feel better. Kaff, I hope you're getting on ok :)

And Jonnyboy, sorry for misinterpreting your comment, sometimes it's hard to keep track of who's saying what to whom!
  • Options
    I'm ok, yeah.

It's a bit depressing going from coupled up in my own house to single and partially homeless, with all my dearest possesions in Primark bags in my parents' spare room, but sometimes you have to go backwards to go forwards. And I still feel like I'm doing the right thing, which I guess has to make it all worthwhile.

On the bright side, all sorts of people have popped up offering shoulders and tea and beds for the night, should I want them, which makes my days easier. It's a bit heartwarming.
  • Options
    Thought I would update anyone who is interested, and check in to see how others are doing.
    Since I split with my Boyfriend in Dec things have finally got better. We've accepted an offer on our house, I have had an offer accepted on another house which will take me back to Cardiff and nearer to my frineds. All going ok with the new man!
    When I look back to the day I ended it and the weeks that followed I just can't believe I have come so far. It's tough sometimes, not least because I still live with the ex and he has been a complete arse sometimes, but I can actually see a better future now. Am so looking forward to the changes I am facing, and to being able to have a place of my own.
  • Options
    I think you dealt with it really well. Well done KoG.
  • Options
    such an olddddd topic!
  • Options
    oh yeah whoops
  • Options
    I'm on the recieving end of this at the moment, but to be fair, i broke up in the first place, but wanted her back. I find it so hard just to end it like that and say "for the better". It annoys me when she has so many faults and i tried so hard, i feel like i'm reminding myself constantly of what an attention whore she was, how lazy she was and how unhappy i was in the relationship, but I can't help wanting to call her up and cuddle her.

I know this is for the best but i just wish i could rip her out of my head and let her go.

First off - I know it's an old topic, I thought it better to bump this one as we were all going through similar things.

Matt - give it time. I know that's a trite thing to say but you had tour reasons for ending it and they will become clearer.
  • Options
    6 years ? thats ages !!
    Ah well at least you have fond memories, time is the best healer and distance and theres plenty of distance between the US and glasgow ! you might even be friends in a few years time.
This discussion has been closed.