Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

'Pray five times a day or be beheaded'

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Time for an update on the development of the thread... etc etc

You were spot on! :lol:

Erm - you don't know this weekends lucky lottery numbers do you? :)
  • Options
    I think that atheists just have a superiority complex, you get extremists all the time. And they're often in power, but they can be religious or not religious. But if they're muslim or christian, how come people denounce 'organised religion' as a solely bad thing. People don't seriously think there would be no wars if there was no religion?

well, somewhat, yes. I do believe organized religions are doing very little good for people at the moment.

I have no trouble with peoples personal believing in whatever created who etc, but what makes me angry is the fact that there are people in the world who are manipulating these beliefs to their own end, to incite hatred of others, and to twist the words of whichever religion in such a way that it makes the followers under the manipulators influence go and kill people.

ideally, I'm pretty sure all major religious texts main aim is for everyone to get along with each other nicely, which no one can argue is a bad thing, should they believe in an omnipresent super being or not. but this is quite obviously not working.

it also annoys me how the US has used the fact that "[christian] god is on our side" to justify government actions... I mean what is this, the crusades?

you can see why some atheists will have a superiority complex, because they think organized religions are terribly misguided, in that there are those being manipulated by people using the guise of "religion" to make them hate whoever they like. Manipulating people is much easier if it's using something they strongly believe in.
  • Options
    Teagan wrote:
    You were spot on! :lol:

Erm - you don't know this weekends lucky lottery numbers do you? :)
    thanks.:)

being a bit of an asshole. It's finals week at school so I'm running on little sleep.

If I did, I would definitely tell you, long as ya gave me a cut o' the winnings.:yes:
  • Options
    Replicant wrote:
    I have no trouble with peoples personal believing in whatever created who etc, but what makes me angry is the fact that there are people in the world who are manipulating these beliefs to their own end, to incite hatred of others, and to twist the words of whichever religion in such a way that it makes the followers under the manipulators influence go and kill people.
    If leaders are using religion malevontly, it is those leaders' responsibility, not the religions' in itself. Don't oppose the tool, but the one who handles it.
    Replicant wrote:
    I do believe organized religions are doing very little good for people at the moment.
    You have no possible way of ever 'measuring' that. Most of the good derived from religion will never be tangible anyway because of its own nature. And this is what bothers me of the said atheist's superiority complex - that because they can't see it or understand it, they fail to acknowledge and respect the importance their religion has for millions of people.

I fully share your hatred of leaders using organised religion to fulfill their own selfish intrests - but that shouldn't in any case take the right away of anyone professing a religion and belonging to an organised religious group or church. I'm seriously shocked by the amount of people who actually propose to ban organised religion - it would be one of the most intolerant and dictatorial measures ever to be taken, not to mention a Human rights violation.
  • Options
    I think that atheists just have a superiority complex, you get extremists all the time. And they're often in power, but they can be religious or not religious. But if they're muslim or christian, how come people denounce 'organised religion' as a solely bad thing. People don't seriously think there would be no wars if there was no religion?
    Totally! Some of the most closed minded ingnorant and bigotted people I know tend to be atheists (in fact most of them).

There are extremists everywhere and there's no real difference between killing for religion, or being a communist dictator.
  • Options
    There are extremists everywhere and there's no real difference between killing for religion, or being a communist dictator.
    Yep, they're both killing in the name of some sort of obscure belief system.
  • Options
    bluewisdom wrote:
    I fully share your hatred of leaders using organised religion to fulfill their own selfish intrests - but that shouldn't in any case take the right away of anyone professing a religion and belonging to an organised religious group or church. I'm seriously shocked by the amount of people who actually propose to ban organised religion - it would be one of the most intolerant and dictatorial measures ever to be taken, not to mention a Human rights violation.
    Who's proposing a ban on organised religion? Claiming that you don't think it's particularly positive doesn't mean that you think it should be banned.
  • Options
    Totally! Some of the most closed minded ingnorant and bigotted people I know tend to be atheists (in fact most of them).
    Funny, if you made that statement about Muslims or Christians or any other theistic religion, everyone would be crying bigot on this website. Somehow it's acceptable to make the same blanket statement against athiests?
  • Options
    bluewisdom,
    I have no conceptions to ban religion, I think any attempt to do so would be a very bad idea. just like you said, you share my feelings about those using it for their own selfish mean. I fully recognize the importance religion has for many people, but because of this importance it is a much more potent tool for people to use to manipulate the masses.

I cant help but feel dislike for the tool itself when it is being seen to used in the way it has in the past, and now for bad things... just one must have a certain dislike for the gun even though it is the wielder that uses it.

eventually (I hope) people will realise they will never convince another religion theirs is better and give up on trying.

the funny thing is, atheists are now "organizing" too. I cant stand it, what's the point in it if it's just going to end up the same sans-god? here's a quote I found on tinternet somewhere, (here, but I only read the first two posts):
    Atheism need not be a belief system. But for a growing number of atheists, it is. Atheism as presented by Dawkins and Harris contains the same elements as the religious belief systems they decry:

Their world view is presented as unassailable, i.e., dogma.
    They seek to convert others to their opinion, i.e., prosylization.
    They seek to destroy competing belief systems and continually disparage the intellectual capacity of any who differ from their mind set.

When atheism attains the organizational structure of traditional religions, the emulation will be complete.

Note: Neither people who adopt a belief system including a god or gods, nor people who adopt a belief system absent a god are necessarily dogmatic or intolerant in their behavior. But atheists are not immune from that behavior, though they often deny that their behavior is the same as the behaviors they decry in established religions

... it's just the brewing's for more trouble :no:
  • Options
    I'm With Stupid and Replicant:

I never meant to imply you were the ones proposing to ban organised religion. Both of you are level-headed and smart enough to know better. But I have heard people proposing it and wishing it, and I was ranting I guess about those people. Sorry if I caused any misundertandings.
  • Options
    Atheism need not be a belief system. But for a growing number of atheists, it is. Atheism as presented by Dawkins and Harris contains the same elements as the religious belief systems they decry:

Their world view is presented as unassailable, i.e., dogma.
    They seek to convert others to their opinion, i.e., prosylization.
    They seek to destroy competing belief systems and continually disparage the intellectual capacity of any who differ from their mind set.

When atheism attains the organizational structure of traditional religions, the emulation will be complete.

Note: Neither people who adopt a belief system including a god or gods, nor people who adopt a belief system absent a god are necessarily dogmatic or intolerant in their behavior. But atheists are not immune from that behavior, though they often deny that their behavior is the same as the behaviors they decry in established religions
    Yeh, that seems about accurate. I've met one too many dogmatic, proselitist, and intellectually pedant atheists.
  • Options
    Replicant wrote:
    the funny thing is, atheists are now "organizing" too. I cant stand it, what's the point in it if it's just going to end up the same sans-god? here's a quote I found on tinternet somewhere,
    I've seen Dawkins talking about this. His argument is bascially that there are more athiests than Jews in America right now, yet the latter have campaign groups and people lobbying the government. Now I take that point, but I would say that the only thing that athiests share, is the belief that there is no God. There is no collection of moral codes specific to athiests (as is sometimes the case with religions), or special requirements or problems that they need sorting out by the government (as is sometimes the case with race groups). And frankly, I don't generally think it's positive for any non-elected person to be speaking for a people based on their 'group', especially one based on such a small detail as not believing in God.
  • Options
    bluewisdom wrote:
    I'm With Stupid and Replicant:

I never meant to imply you were the ones proposing to ban organised religion. Both of you are level-headed and smart enough to know better. But I have heard people proposing it and wishing it, and I was ranting I guess about those people. Sorry if I caused any misundertandings.
    See that's the advantage of not being part of an organisation based on a belief system. You can say that, and we won't take offence, because it was nothing to do with us. ;) And a high profile athiest (who, by the way?) can say that safe in the knowledge that he doesn't speak for us. The pope says something crazy, and all Catholics end up taking the flack (incidentally, I still haven't cancelled my membership with that particular organisation. D'you think I can get a form at the Post Office?).
  • Options
    incidentally, I still haven't cancelled my membership with that particular organisation. D'you think I can get a form at the Post Office?

Yeah sure, and then send it to the 'I no longer believe' office at the Vatican. Or better yet, to the Complaints Departments at The Vatican. I expect they're sitting with arms folded at that office!;)
  • Options
    I'm with Stupid: I'm not well read on any of this to be honest, but I did find that quote quite interesting. In fact I really dont like calling myself an atheist any more if it's going to associate me with some belief system.

I took no offence from your statement bluewisdom :) just wanted to air my views on the matter.

I was thinking about my statement that I think religion does little good for people today, and I think the point I was trying to address was that on a world scale, in governments, and "terrorist" organisations, religion is doing little good. at an individual scale I dont think there's anything wrong with people believing they have something watching over them if it keeps the masses happy with a fuzzy feeling inside.

it's not wrong for a person to strongly believe in something. it is wrong for someone to come along and use this belief to manipulate people, this is what I dont like... like my analogy earlier you can understand the conjecture that reducing the amount of tools reduces the amount of abusers of said tools. BUT there is no way to do this when the "tools" are people, without some mass completely voluntary world wide secularisation.

I've been thinking about this a lot recently and it's starting to frustrate me. also noted from that link I provided (no idea how accurate this is) that initially Hinduism and Buddhism were only religious philosophies (perhaps this is why they do less warmongering than certain others):
    just basic guidelines for civil discourse in a community, an attempt by the more learned/wise to interpret nature and their surroundings..Open to analysis, criticism by fellow humans.

that's something I could claim to adhere to...I think I may have in invent a nonchurch of rationalism for myself or something.

The ultimate goal of most mass religions are most likely all the same, harmony and peace amongst mankind. that's probably the important bit, but it seems most people are a bit short sighted.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    It is if you're gay, a woman or not a Muslim - or if you happen to believe gay people, women and non-Muslims should be treated equally.

So you would say HAMAS has done nothing good would you?

In the same vein, would you allow me to say all Evangelism is bad? Because it is just the same really - oppressive of women, hateful of homosexuals, backawrd looking, against progress...
  • Options
    I've seen Dawkins talking about this. His argument is bascially that there are more athiests than Jews in America right now, yet the latter have campaign groups and people lobbying the government.

I can't say I have ever heard Dawkins speaking about Jews lobbying the government. But if you're saying atheists don't - I think you'll find the likes of NARAL and the ACLU contain a disproportionate number of atheists. And then there is the Democratic Party...

As for Dawkins he's a nasty piece of shit:
    Regarding the accusations of sexual abuse of children by Catholic priests, deplorable and disgusting as those abuses are, they are not so harmful to the children as the grievous mental harm in bringing up the child Catholic in the first place.

To even equate bringing a child up to Catholic to sexual abuse is sick, to say that it is worse insults victims of sexual abuse as well as decent people everywhere. I doubt even Ian Paisley has said anything so hate-filled about Catholics.
  • Options
    I can't say I have ever heard Dawkins speaking about Jews lobbying the government. But if you're saying atheists don't - I think you'll find the likes of NARAL and the ACLU contain a disproportionate number of atheists. And then there is the Democratic Party...
    None of which have anything to do with atheism. Pro choice on abortion = atheist since when? Are you claiming that all atheists or pro-choice, or that this organisation are somehow campaigning for a pro-choice stance because it is in line with their atheist beliefs? Like I said, you won't get groups lobbying for atheist causes or beliefs, because other than the lack of belief in God, there is nothing to unify atheists with each other, there are no common beliefs.

And whilst I don't agree with Richard Dawkins on that particular point (though I'm sure there have been people of Catholic upbringing who would equate it to mental abuse, just like there will be people who claim the same about any other form of upbringing), I do think he makes a good point on the labelling of children as being the religion of their parents. He states that the term Catholic child or Muslim child or Jewish child should cause concern, since a child cannot know what their religious beliefs are. I do agree with him that there is a fundamental problem with anyone being given a label which is supposed to be based on their beliefs, for any other reason than them actually adhering to those beliefs. His point is that everyone is born agnostic, and they should never be given a label that they don't give to themselves based on their own informed decision, and I for one agree with him.
  • Options
    islamic fundamentalists are no different to christian fundamentalists!!!
  • Options
    Like I said, you won't get groups lobbying for atheist causes or beliefs, because other than the lack of belief in God, there is nothing to unify atheists with each other, there are no common beliefs.

Tbh the same thing could be said of the Jewish community in spite of your earlier paraphrasing of Dawkins.
  • Options
    There are no Christian fundamentalist regimes in the world that execute people because they're homosexual,

Homosexuals in Jamaica are often murdered due to Christian beliefs.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    No, they're not. "Christian" beliefs are the excuse for the murder of homosexuals.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:

Indeed. Although, as the BBC point out the Church is not the only factor. Although, I do not think a homophobic murder is the same as a government executing somebody because of their sexuality.
  • Options
    Indeed. Although, as the BBC point out the Church is not the only factor. Although, I do not think a homophobic murder is the same as a government executing somebody because of their sexuality.

The government can sentence gay men to 10 years hard labour for homosexuality, so its not that different.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    No, they're not. "Christian" beliefs are the excuse for the murder of homosexuals.
    Haha, yeah. When someone does something bad in the name of Christianity, they're just using the religion as an excuse. When someone does something bad in the name of Islam, it's because Islam is an evil religion with a message of hate. That's the type of rhetoric that I hear from some "Christian" people quite often. (Not saying that this was what you were suggesting by the way).
  • Options
    Haha, yeah. When someone does something bad in the name of Christianity, they're just using the religion as an excuse. When someone does something bad in the name of Islam, it's because Islam is an evil religion with a message of hate.

:thumb:
  • Options
    Funny, if you made that statement about Muslims or Christians or any other theistic religion, everyone would be crying bigot on this website. Somehow it's acceptable to make the same blanket statement against athiests?
    So? It's my belef and I'm entitled to express it (just as I believe that anybody is entitled to a voice).

And it's not a blanket statement. A blanket statement would be "atheists are all biggoted".
  • Options
    So? It's my belef and I'm entitled to express it (just as I believe that anybody is entitled to a voice).

And it's not a blanket statement. A blanket statement would be "atheists are all biggoted".
    Saying that the most closed-minded, ignorant, bigotted people are mainly athiests is about as blanket as you can get without saying all. Yes, you are entitled to your opinion, but in my opinion, it is as close-minded, ignorant and bigotted as those you claim to be talking about. Ironic really. Like I said, if I were to say that, "Most of the most closed-minded, ignorant, bigotted people are Christians," I would be (rightly) accused of religious prejudice and you know it.
  • Options
    Saying that the most closed-minded, ignorant, bigotted people are mainly athiests is about as blanket as you can get without saying all. Yes, you are entitled to your opinion, but in my opinion, it is as close-minded, ignorant and bigotted as those you claim to be talking about. Ironic really. Like I said, if I were to say that, "Most of the most closed-minded, ignorant, bigotted people are Christians," I would be (rightly) accused of religious prejudice and you know it.
    What the hell are you talking about?

Maybe you should read it. I didn't make a reference to atheists world wide, so why the attitude? Chill...

I was speaking from experience and whilst I know a few far right Christians (I was brought up attending the Protestant church), the most biggotted and closed minded people I have met have mostly been atheists (which is what I said). If I had met a lot of biggotted Muslims then I would change it and generally not care what the PC patrol felt about me.

I could give example upon example of the superiority complexes a lot of atheists I've met have. I don't see why that is offensive, nor closed minded.
  • Options
    Maybe you should read it. I didn't make a reference to atheists world wide, so why the attitude? Chill...
    I did. You know, the bit in brackets that said "in fact most of them." It's strange that you now seem keen to point out the bit where you said "some" in bold, and ignore the bit where you said most. I'm not arsed, I was just pointing out that if you said the same thing about Christianity, for example, there'd be outrage.