Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Which city to visit?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Summer 2005 I planned a trip to London with my mother.
We were on our journey to Italy when the terrorist attacks were commited in London. We deceided to wait a little longer, but due to all sorts of things we still haven't visited London :rolleyes:

I deceided to go with 2 good friends, around March 2007.
We would take an airplane and we would stay in hostels for about 4 days. Everything was planned, until one of the girls parents forbid her to go to London. They saw a programm about terrorism on Dutch television, and it was said that London was (again) on the list of possible-targets for terrorist attacks :(

My parents are a lot more relaxed: they say that the chance is very small that I'll be in London by that time. Besides, I travel with the underground twice a day, 5 times a week in Rotterdam, which is also a possible target :nervous: I should be more worried about that than about being in Londen for 4 days!

Now I'm looking for another destination, preferably in the UK.
I like the country and the people I've met so far, and I would like to see more of the country! :yes:

So which cities would you recommend? It should be a city near by an airport, with enough to discover for young people like us :yippe:
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    Newcastle, Manchester, Plymouth, Bournmouth, Brighton.

One of those?

For a tourist nothing really compares to London though.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    agree with skive, london is the most touristy place i'd say.

any place is just as likely to be targetted by terrorists - london is really no different.

lincoln is a lovely city, get quite a few tourists coming to see the cathedral.
    Newcastle or Nottingham are great cities.

But dont let terrorism put you off visiting London, its an amazing city like no other in the world.

London is just as much a target as most major cities, but dont let the terrorists put you off experiencing the city

Wherever you go Im sure you will enjoy it

:thumb:
    You should come to Scotland.

A good idea would be to book a hotel in Stirling, which is halfway between Glasgow (good for shops, Loch Lomond) and Edinburgh (good for touristy stuff like the castle)

In Stirling itself you've got some of the most gorgeous views you'll find in the UK anytime of the year (looking out from Stirling Castle on a misty day is just breathtaking), and it's right in the middle of Braveheart country so it's quite touristy with loads of nice shops and some wicked restraunts.

People are usually beyond friendly too.
    I'm also going to say Newcastle, not that I'm biased or anything ;)

It has more than enough to occupy you for four days, both at day and nighttime, and if not then there's easy (and cheap) scope for a daytrip to Edinburgh or York or somewhere up the Northmbrian coast. There are loads of museums, galleries (the majority free), churches and cathedrals, bars, nightclubs, music venues etc etc. Of course, if you're that way inclined then it's also shopper's paradise round here.

Obviously London is the best choice for sheer number of activities to do and places to visit, but I assume that if you're worrying (or coping with your parents' worries) about some highly unlikely terrorist activity then you're not going to fully enjoy your break - and you should :)
    If I were you I'd stay where I was....you aren't very far away from Amsterdam, why do you want to come here? ;)
    But seriously, best cities in UK? Definately London.....Brighton, Manchester, Newcastle, Leeds.... Edinburgh is a great city aswell if you want to go to Scotland which also has some beautiful countryside...
    The chances of you getting blown up by a terrorist bomb in london are very very slim and no greater today than they have been at any point during the last 30 years and I really wouldn't let it put you off. I've been to both Israel and Colombia both of which have a much higher terrorisum rate and I am still alive!!

However London isn't really like the rest of the UK - i'd suggest if you want the truly English experience you go to a smaller city or town or even the countryside.
    Manchester is the best city to visit, but maybe i'm just biased :)
    Why let terrorists put you off?

You're probably more likely to get stabbed visiting Glasgow, than be blown up visiting London. :p
    I think i'd rather be stabbed than blown up! :razz:
    Both could kill ya :p

If I was gonna die, I'd rather it was instant, I.E bomb :p than looong and painful, I.E bleeding to death. :P
    Id say if you want to visit London then go there.
    Glasgow and Edinburgh are definitely otherplaces t visit too
    My parents allow me to go to London, they are just as realistic as you are. The chance of being driven over by a car tomorrow while I'm cycling through my city is bigger than the chance of being killed due to a terrorist attack while I'm 4 days in London :nervous:

It's just about the parents of one of my friends. She's just only 17, hasn't ever been on holiday without her parents before. I'm for sure she can't convince her parents to let her go :no:

I've been in London once and I just lóved the city. I'm quite disappointed that one of my friends can't go there :(

I'm not sure, but maybe I'm still going, but just with the other friend. I'd rather go nowhere and keep my money than going to another city which can't exceed London :p
    Hi!

Other cities/town in UK to recommend are Brighton (on the sea and not far away for one-day-trip to London). The same with Oxford. Or you go to Scotland or maybe you think about traveling around to other countries in Europe. I spent some days in Athen/Greece. It was great. You have a lot of cafés and bars and if you want a lot of culture so visit. :flirt:

And by the way - don´t be to anxious. Everyday day could happen something everywhere. You will never know....:banghead:
    :lol:

I have a feeling you're plugging a website. Oh dear.
    I think you could be right.
    ^_^ wrote:
    Both could kill ya :p

If I was gonna die, I'd rather it was instant, I.E bomb :p than looong and painful, I.E bleeding to death. :P

lol you're probably more likely to die from a Bomb exploding than being stabbed :chin:
    lol you're probably more likely to die from a Bomb exploding than being stabbed :chin:

Bollocks. Unless you live in Falluja of course.
    Yerascrote wrote:
    Bollocks. Unless you live in Falluja of course.
    :yes:
    Well, good news after all!

I'm going with one of my friends, the other girl isn't coming with us because we will plan another trip for the three of us :)

So 5 January 'till 7 January I'll visit London!
    I've almost planned it al: the flight, the train to London (we're flying to Stansted), hostel :yippe:

I only need some practical advise:
    - What sort of ticket do I need for the tube? I've been doing some research and saw so many tickets and information that I have no idea what I need!
    I need (a) ticket(s) for 3 days, I'm just only using the tube in the Centre of London. So do I need a ticket for zone 1-6 or else? :confused:

- My friend and I really want to experience London in all its ways, so we are going out there both friday- and saturdaynight. We would like to visit a pub/bar or something, or maybe a club? I have no idea what going out in the UK is like, in Holland parties in clubs usually starts around midnight and last until 7 in the Morning. When you visit a pub in Holland, they usually close around 3PM. Is there a difference between the Netherlands and the UK?
    And are there pubs/clubs we should really visit? ;)

- What kind of sightseeing would you advise? I've been to the St. Pauls Cathedral, Tower of London, Covent Garden Market and probably a lot of other places which I can't recall at the moment :chin:

All other advise is most welcome! :thumb:
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    Bath and Salisbury are good. Lots of sight seeing - Stonehenge, Salisbury Cathederal, Roman Baths, White Horses, Avebury, New Forest etc.
    Weekender Offender 
    London, York, Cheltenham and the Welsh countryside are the best places in Britain IMO.

Oh also if you're feeling adventurous Skegness. (Ok, don't go there, no matter what you do :().
    I would have gone to Devon, places like that.

There's the London eye you could visit. Funny enough living in London I cant actually think of places to visit. :chin:

least if someone stabs u u can kick them in the groin before you die... if you kicked a bomb in the groin it wouldnt even care!

As for the OP, count the number of serious terrorist attacks in london in the past 10 years, there's an extremely low chance that you'll be hit by one going for a few days, should just go to london
    Im not sure if there is a travel card that would last three days, but getting a london travel card each day is pretty easy, and not too pricey..If in doubt, you can always ask what the best option is at the station. The all-day travelcard should cover you from zones1-6, but i guess you should specify that when you get it.

As for clubs, i really havent a clue as ive only done pubbing there. Clubs here in Birmingham usually start at 10pm-4am at latest..although i think theres one til 6am one night?(dont quote me), so id guess London clubbing would be similar? Pubbing in london, they should be open 11am-about 11pm?
    sundancer wrote:

I'm going with one of my friends, the other girl isn't coming with us because we will plan another trip for the three of us :)

So 5 January 'till 7 January I'll visit London!
    I've almost planned it al: the flight, the train to London (we're flying to Stansted), hostel :yippe:

- What sort of ticket do I need for the tube? I've been doing some research and saw so many tickets and information that I have no idea what I need!
    I need (a) ticket(s) for 3 days, I'm just only using the tube in the Centre of London. So do I need a ticket for zone 1-6 or else? :confused:

- My friend and I really want to experience London in all its ways, so we are going out there both friday- and saturdaynight. We would like to visit a pub/bar or something, or maybe a club? I have no idea what going out in the UK is like, in Holland parties in clubs usually starts around midnight and last until 7 in the Morning. When you visit a pub in Holland, they usually close around 3PM. Is there a difference between the Netherlands and the UK?

- What kind of sightseeing would you advise? I've been to the St. Pauls Cathedral, Tower of London, Covent Garden Market and probably a lot of other places which I can't recall at the moment :chin:

To answer a few of your questions:

i think central london is only Zone 1. I'm not sure about for 3 days but for each single day you can buy a travelcard which allows you unlimited ride on tube AND buses for a small fee which isn't so bad.

Pubs here used to close around 11, but now it may vary. I'd reckon bars used to close around 1 but it now may be more like 3. Clubs themselves will go on till the early hours or even the next day completely... Generally we tend to go out earlier in England.

Madame Tussauds! The Aquarium. St James Park and the Changing of the Guard.
    sundancer wrote:
    only need some practical advise:

Hey, I visited London the other week for 4 nights. I only travelled around central London so bought a 7 day pass for the Zone 1-2 area for £22. If you are only planning on travelling around central London, I would buy a Zone 1-2 3 day pass for £15.40 http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/fares-tickets/2006/one-day/travelcard-day.shtml. You can see the tube map here and the zone areas...http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/pdfdocs/colourmap.pdf

Although my main reasons to going to London was to see friends and go to a gig, I also did a bit of sight seeing. I visited Buckingham Palace, Westminster/Big Ben, The London Eye, The Towers of London, Tower Bridge, Oxford St, Leicester Square, Camden Market and a few other places that I can't remember.

Hope you have fun :)
    Madame Tussauds!

I don't know how anyone can afford Madame Tussauds. £23 for an adult's ticket (no student discount)... you can save £5 if you book online, but that's still £18. Ouch.
    I live in the heart of London and I love it here, tons of things to do.
    sundancer wrote:

So 5 January 'till 7 January I'll visit London! 5th of Jan is my birthday, be sure to bring me somethin ;)

An Adult daily travel card is £4.90 and that'll take you anywhere

The Uk clubs/pubs that are lively would start at around 8sh and finish 2ish in the morning. For clubs you should go to Camden or Soho depending on what kind of clubs you like.

Well... Places to visit:
    Camden market, I love that place, Camden also has alot of clubs/bars/restaurants.

The London Eye, have to do it at night, you get a veiw of miles of London, beautiful.

piccadilly circus allways has something fun going on, love the food there too, I went there just this evening.

Oxford street.

There's the Imax cinema is cool, only if you see a 3D film though.

Madame Tussauds wax museum .. London dungeon? They're all really nice places to visit.

Hope I was somewhat useful? :)
    My reccomendations:
    Liverpool. Good clubs and bars, lots of museums, lots of Beatles-related attractions.

Glasgow. More good clubs and bars, shopping, museums, boat trips. Come in the summer and go for a cruise on the Waverley.

Edinburgh. Castle, Royal yacht, more museums. Its the capital of Scotland, it has everything London's got but its never going to be a terrorist target. Come for the festival, stay for the scenery.