Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Cancer girl shuns extra treatment

Story

Good for her. That's all I can say.
Fight the good fight.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Fair play to her, hope she enjoys the rest of her days.
  • Options
    Good for her...and fantastic that her parents are so supportive and respect her decision. Hope they make the most of their time together :yes:
  • Options
    I am going to split from the pack and disagree. I hope she doesn't regret it. but I don't agree with what she's doing.
  • Options
    red88 wrote:
    Fair play to her, hope she enjoys the rest of her days.
    Ditto.
  • Options
    Best way IMO. If the drugs can't do anything, and they're not helping your quality of life, what's the point? I'd much rather live out the rest of my life spending time with the people I love, and being happy, than pushed from hospital to hospital, drug to drug, machine to machine....
  • Options
    Nikki* wrote:
    Best way IMO. If the drugs can't do anything, and they're not helping your quality of life, what's the point? I'd much rather live out the rest of my life spending time with the people I love, and being happy, than pushed from hospital to hospital, drug to drug, machine to machine....
    That's exactly how I see it.
  • Options
    So how much of our money has she wasted on treatments already? :p

About time people who are gonna die stopped seeking help, heh
  • Options
    BritJames wrote:

What a fucking retarded post.

Since we're all going to die at some point, according to your logic, there should be no health service as surely the only purpose it serves is to prolong the inevitable?

Idiot.
  • Options
    BritJames wrote:

It's not like she made sure her treatments would fail is it lol. As somebody above said,I can't blame her for not wanting to be treated anymore, if she knows she is going to die whatever happens she might as well have some time as pain free as possible with her family and friends than suffer until she eventually dies.
  • Options
    i think they should give sterids to terminal patients

they did with my dad and it gave his body enough strength so he didnt feel the symptoms til his last days
  • Options
    BritJames wrote:

and the idiotic post of the topic award goes to.................
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    I am going to split from the pack and disagree. I hope she doesn't regret it. but I don't agree with what she's doing.

There was virtually no hope of her treatment succeeding so the News said, so instead of going through more pain and discomfort she decided to spend the rest of her days at home.
  • Options
    Nash wrote:
    There was virtually no hope of her treatment succeeding so the News said, so instead of going through more pain and discomfort she decided to spend the rest of her days at home.
    I can read.

Thanks though!
  • Options
    so, what do you think she should have done then?
  • Options
    Well, I would have said it was fairly obvious what I think she should be doing. I'll spell it out for you though, I think she should carry on with treatment.

Not that I have to justify myself to any of you.
  • Options
    BritJames wrote:

:shocking:
    What a fucking retarded post.
    Idiot.

:yes: Tbh.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    Well, I would have said it was fairly obvious what I think she should be doing. I'll spell it out for you though, I think she should carry on with treatment.

No, you don't have to justify yourself to me or anyone else. I am still at a loss as to what treatment you think she should be carrying on with?
  • Options
    Why don't you ask a doctor that, instead of an engineer?
  • Options
    Violette wrote:
    but why on earth would she carry on with treatment if it wasn't doing anything and wouldn't prolong her life, and put her in more pain?

My thoughts exactly. Personally, I think it's waste of time for to carry on using treatment that doesn't work and leaves her in pain.
  • Options
    Brave girl, it's a shame because I watched the news broadcast and she seems like a really level-headed girl.

Really can't see the logic in her continuing with treatment though, if I had the choice to spend a majority of the rest of my (short) life in a dingy hospital or a few months at home with my family I know which I'd rather choose.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    Why don't you ask a doctor that, instead of an engineer?

I was asking you, regardless of your profession or subect of higher edication because you'd expressed an opinion contrary to mine and the majority of the replies. As the story doesn't state that there are no other untried treatment oiptions left, I was leading you to suggest either treatments she hasn't tried yet or to retry that which has already failed, twice.
  • Options
    Then I suggest that she use magic pixie dust.

I'll tell you again. I don't have to justify myself to any of you.
  • Options
    I actually agree with Fiend 85 (in some ways) and think she should carry on with treatment. My point of view though is quite biased, as i lost my dad a year ago to cancer and would not have wanted him to stop fighting. I just think that even if something doesn't work, it's worth trying.

Nash, you said in one of your threads: 'There was virtually no hope of her treatment succeeding'. To me, the key word in this is 'virtually'. Miracles can and do happen, and i believe every life is precious, and worth fighting for.

This is just my opinion, and i know a lot of you will disagree, but just thought i'd give my take on it. :thumb:
  • Options
    rachie004 wrote:
    Am I the only one to take that as a joke?

i thought it was a joke too what with the smiley sticking its tongue out an all....

anyway i think that if shes happy giving up treatment to make the most of her life good on her, but personally if she was my daughter/sister just anyone i loved really id want her to carry on with treatment because as someone said miracles do happen and id want there to at least be a chance. im very selfish i dont lke people dieing its an awful experience, id like to keep them alive as long as possible. having said that though if i was her i might give up on treatment afterall it would be awful to waste that last little bit of life.
    its a very confusing issue for me.
  • Options
    rachie004 wrote:
    Am I the only one to take that as a joke?
    nope, it was a joke.
  • Options
    I also took it as a joke!
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:

Not at all. :)

I must admit I'm curious why though... could you care to explain? If not that's fine :) just curious.
  • Options
    jordy wrote:
    I actually agree with Fiend 85 (in some ways) and think she should carry on with treatment. My point of view though is quite biased, as i lost my dad a year ago to cancer and would not have wanted him to stop fighting. I just think that even if something doesn't work, it's worth trying.

Nash, you said in one of your threads: 'There was virtually no hope of her treatment succeeding'. To me, the key word in this is 'virtually'. Miracles can and do happen, and i believe every life is precious, and worth fighting for.

This is just my opinion, and i know a lot of you will disagree, but just thought i'd give my take on it. :thumb:

I AGREE WITH YOUR SENTIMENT HERE, THAT YOU'D WANT Someone to keep trying in order to be together longer. In this case I think that's what she's trying to do in a round about kinda way, by giving more 'quality' time, rather than pained treated time.
  • Options
    Up to her, anyone can withdraw treatment unless they're unable to.
    I don't see why she should carry on if she doesn't want to.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:

jordy wrote:
    I actually agree with Fiend 85 (in some ways) and think she should carry on with treatment.

But if it's terminal as it clearly is in this case, surely it's her decision? Personally, if I knew I was going to die in a matter of months/weeks, I wouldn't want to spend the last bit of my life in and out of hospital.