Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

So, hangover free alcohol

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I drink Magners if I drink now as it don't give me a hangover, some people reckon it's the ice and some reckon there has been something taken out of it to stop the hangover. I'd go with the ice option but I wouldn't of thought that it would stop a hangover because there isn't that much ice in the pint glass? Even over 6 or 7 pints, the ice wouldn't have much effect would it?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I think it all depends on the person. When I first started drinking, I would have 5/6 pints of smoothflow and it would give me a smacking headache. These days I drink lager until the cows come home and i'll be right as rain in the morning. I know if I drank cider though I wouldn't, because I can't take the stuff...! :sour:
    I guess the ice is upping your water intake? I know round here they usually do give you a LOT of ice with Magners and other bottled ciders.

I'm another who can funnel the lager down and wake up fine the next day, same with most spirits. It's only the vino that gives me hangovers from hell.
    yack! hate cider but good for the drinkers if you don't get a hangover.
    Cava never gives me a hangover and it's my fave drink :D
    I don't think anyone gets a hangover on Magners. It nice, I like, Why not?!
    Apparently that fruit stuff (Quinns maybe?) doesn't give you a hangover because it's pure fruit... does that mean it also contributes to your five-a-day?! Oooooh!
    I have never had a hangover from any drink in the past. Could have been you drank more water previously than before? Or the apples ciders made from?
    I used to drink magners alot and never really got a hangover. but then the pub switched to bulmers. I know it's supposedly the same thing but it just doesnt taste the same to me :(
    when i first started drinking i could drink massive amounts and feel absolutely fine the next day. Now it doesnt take that much and i feel pretty awful the next day. I find different booze tend to have worse hang overs though.
    noog wrote:
    I used to drink magners alot and never really got a hangover. but then the pub switched to bulmers. I know it's supposedly the same thing but it just doesnt taste the same to me :(

yeah i know what you mean, most places seem to be advertising the bulmers more, which although is similar , doesn't have the taste of magners.
    Jonny8888 wrote:
    when i first started drinking i could drink massive amounts and feel absolutely fine the next day. Now it doesnt take that much and i feel pretty awful the next day. I find different booze tend to have worse hang overs though.

I'm pretty much the same now days.
    To the OP I dont find magners gives too bad hangerovers unless I drink larger as well... then they are horrible.
    I can't drink cider of any kind or it gives me the runs (sorry :p ) I can usually drink most things without getting too bad a hangover.
    Bloody cider... drink some bitter you fairies! :p
    FlameOn wrote:
    yeah i know what you mean, most places seem to be advertising the bulmers more, which although is similar , doesn't have the taste of magners.

I think you've been sucked in here my friend because it is EXACTLY the same thing. Ive been to the brewery where they make the stuff.

Bulmers used to be only sold in ireland, magners in england.

Its 100% exactly the same, it all comes out of the same taps, and goes into the same bottles. Just gets a different label.

its interesting to see how marketing affects people. But i promise you, it is the same drink.
    Magners is nice yea and doesn't really give you a hangover but i never usually stick to drinking one kind of drink all night so a hangover is sometimes inevitable.
    I notice that when I just drink cider I don't suffer from a hangover.

However, with everything else, I do even if I do stick to the same drink.
    I don't know a great deal about alcoholic beverages, but I thought hangovers are a direct product of ethanol consumption? Ethanol causes vitamin B12 deficiency and dehydration, which causes a hang over, no? So if you plan to drink, say, 88mls of pure ethanol, or 220mls of 40% vodka in one night and that is it, you'd be better off drinking the 40% vodka because it also adds water to the mix, reducing the dehydrating effects of the ethyl alcohol. So from that, we can develop a trend. Purity of alcohol and hang over effects are directly proportional, as one increases, the other increases.
    This is all theoretical, though. I, fortunately, do not have much experience with alcohol.
    jayjay620 wrote:
    I think you've been sucked in here my friend because it is EXACTLY the same thing. Ive been to the brewery where they make the stuff.

Bulmers used to be only sold in ireland, magners in england.

Its 100% exactly the same, it all comes out of the same taps, and goes into the same bottles. Just gets a different label.

its interesting to see how marketing affects people. But i promise you, it is the same drink.

:shocking:
    really?
    you sure its the same drink
    Because saying that i went to a pub the other day that sold both ? :S
    well they did taste different to me when i last tired but maybe it was because i had other drinks too on the same night.
    ice isent somthing you traditonally put into cider is it?? i find that it goes flavorless after about half a pint depending on how fast you drink it. bring back the days of fresh cloudy scrumpy!
    When i drink cider, enough of it, I usually throw up violently 10 mintues after rolling into bed.
    There isn't enough to Magners to give you a hangover, its fizzy pop. It tastes of apple juice, and I have a sneaky feeling that is is just apple juice. The Kopparberg is just pop too, but at least its nice pop.

I don't tend to get hangovers (thank goodness), and can even drink Wife Beater or red wine for ever, but Smirnoff Ice always makes me feel like I've been twatted. But then I always make a point of having two pints of water before bed.
    Kermit wrote:
    I don't tend to get hangovers (thank goodness), and can even drink Wife Beater or red wine for ever, but Smirnoff Ice always makes me feel like I've been twatted. But then I always make a point of having two pints of water before bed.
    Can't go wrong with the turbo shandy, however ;)
    Makoto wrote: »
    I drink Magners if I drink now as it don't give me a hangover, some people reckon it's the ice and some reckon there has been something taken out of it to stop the hangover. I'd go with the ice option but I wouldn't of thought that it would stop a hangover because there isn't that much ice in the pint glass? Even over 6 or 7 pints, the ice wouldn't have much effect would it?

love magners but it gave me a hangover on my last nite in spain

i did drink wine and shit too so that might of been why
    Kermit wrote: »
    There isn't enough to Magners to give you a hangover, its fizzy pop. It tastes of apple juice, and I have a sneaky feeling that is is just apple juice. The Kopparberg is just pop too, but at least its nice pop.

I have to be disagreeing here... I don't know what it is about Magners, but it makes me very drowsy drunk after about 3-4 pints... That's after the initial sugar rush, anyway!

I can REALLY handle my drink (Vodka, wine, cocktails etc etc) but Magners just flattens me. Hmmmmmmm - thinking about it, it's usually consumed on a Sunday avec hangover. That could be it...
    g_angel007 wrote: »
    I don't know what it is about Magners, but it makes me very drowsy drunk after about 3-4 pints...

That would be the rhohypnol :D
    Anyone else find that they feel drunk after a few drinks but aren't hungover in the morning, or is that just me?
    Old thread.

By the way in answer to a comment at the top... how would a bit of ice in a drink make a difference, when beer or cider is mostly water anyway?!
    i reckon it does.. just like goin to mcdonalds or wherever and the coke tastes like watered down piss after a few mins when the ice melts
    FlameOn wrote: »
    :shocking:
    really?
    you sure its the same drink
    Because saying that i went to a pub the other day that sold both ? :S
    well they did taste different to me when i last tired but maybe it was because i had other drinks too on the same night.

In Ireland, its Magners in the North and Bulmers in the Republic and as far as I'm concerned theyre the same drink.
    But I was told by a friend (don't know how relaible he is though) that due to some strange licensing thing and historical stuff, the versions we get over here are slightly different over here...

Have a look on Wiki

"Bulmers Original Irish Cider is a cider produced in Ireland. To prevent confusion with the original English cider of the same name it is sold outside of the Republic of Ireland as Magners."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bulmers
    and
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bulmers_(Republic_of_Ireland)

Its all a bit strange if you ask me! :chin:
    Found if I eat alot and drink a little water during the day, next morning I'm fine.