Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Bishops seats in House of Lords

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
To avoid thread hi jacking...

Some suggested that there was no reason to have C of E Bishops sitting in the House of Lords. My thoughts would be that while we have a Church of England, and are a Christian country that they should continue to sit there. If all the rest was disposed of then fair play, querey the Bishops seats, but until that point leave them there.

Only me that thinks this way?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Well I can't complain against them specifically being there. If you were to mention anyone who is unelected, then I'd say fuck them all off.
    Not got anything against have CofE in the House of Lords - except CofE is only the state religion of England, in Scotland the state religion of Church of Scotland (Prestbyterian) and Wales and Northern Ireland are disestablished, so the system only represents part of the UK.

Personally I think we should have kept the Lords as it was, but now we've decided to change it needs to be done properly and a decent system invented, not the half arsed cock-up we've got at the moment.
    needs to be done properly and a decent system invented, not the half arsed cock-up we've got at the moment.

Ohhhh, but that would be no fun, it would that there'd be no sport left in selling Peerages! :p
    religion should have no place in running the government. or any government. thankfully I dont see our policies being strongly influenced by it, especially seeing as how we live in such a multicultural country.

if they weren't voted in there, they shouldn't have a seat.
    I don't see why they should be represented there. If it is about representation, then where are all the other groups, from gays to atheists to pagans to ramblers?
    Replicant wrote:
    if they weren't voted in there, they shouldn't have a seat.

But none of the rest of the House of Lords were voted in.
    Aladdin wrote:
    I don't see why they should be represented there. If it is about representation, then where are all the other groups, from gays to atheists to pagans to ramblers?

But none of those other groups are the state religion.
    But none of the rest of the House of Lords were voted in.

/knows little about the house of lords
    Me or you?
    me :p

I had assumed they were, coming from I'm With Stupid's comment earlier about unelected people...
    As long as they're like this Bishop, they can sit where they damn well please :o

But none of those other groups are the state religion.
    Why should religion have a say in how the country is run?
    The bishops shouldn't have seats in the House of Lords, of course they shouldn't.

But that's OK, because now its full of nobody but Tony's Cronies.
    Personally I think we should have kept the Lords as it was, but now we've decided to change it needs to be done properly and a decent system invented, not the half arsed cock-up we've got at the moment.
    Agreed
    Not got anything against have CofE in the House of Lords - except CofE is only the state religion of England, in Scotland the state religion of Church of Scotland (Prestbyterian) and Wales and Northern Ireland are disestablished, so the system only represents part of the UK.
    Also agreed. Of course now we come to the thorny issue of the Queen being the head of the Church of England, when she is also head of state of Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.