Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Wii

littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
So, they are about to come out. Who's getting one? Who's getting one on the day? And who's getting one from Santa?

And what games are you getting?

Spill the beans :D

Comments

• Options
    smitherzsmitherz Posts: 968 Part of The Mix Family
    Dont like it, doesn't really compare to the 360 or PS3, im sure their sales will be from Nintendo fans only
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Never even heard of it :blush:
  • Options
    squeal wrote:
    Never even heard of it :blush:

haha

Its the next generation Nintendo console
  • Options
    smitherz wrote:
    Dont like it, doesn't really compare to the 360 or PS3, im sure their sales will be from Nintendo fans only

But that's the thing, it's not trying to compete with either of those. Nintendo are going for a completely different market - more non-gamers, people who wouldn't normally buy a console (probably because they are like the 360 or the PS3).

From what i've read about the American release, it's been almost entirely VERY positive. People like that it's neither of the other next gen consoles i think. Though what happens in the future is anyone's guess.
  • Options
    I dont know how sony and microsoft can continue to push out their poor consoles tbh. Sure the graphics might look better but nothing about either these two supposedly next gen consoles is actually from a new generation of gaming.
    Nintendo seem to have the market for cutting edge technology and innovation pretty much covered and I so hope the wii batters both the 360 and ps3 into the ground!
  • Options
    I've ordered a Wii but I am most certainly reserving judgement until I get my hands on one. None of the release games interest me at all, not even Zelda. I'll probably get the gamecube version of that. I have no idea how much fun the motion sensing is going to be in six months time.

Then there is the worry that developers are going to shoe horn the motion sensing into games, totally ruining the potential. Or how many shitty ports the system might get.

I certainly want a Wii but I really don't care if I get one before christmas or not.

I think writing off the 360 and PS3 as poor is a bit premature. Doubley so given that the launch lineup for the Wii consists of first person shooters, racing games and Zelda.....

The current 360 lineup is phenomenal: Gears of War, Viva Pinata, Rainbow Six Vegas, Dead Rising....
  • Options
    Infinite wrote:
    Gears of War? Viva Pinata? Dead Rising? Lost Planet? Condemned?
    There are games on the 360 that just couldn't have been made last generation.
    Why not? The only thing separating these games from previous games is the graphics. There is nothing new and innovative about them.
    And there's Xbox live, which has grown into an essential part of the console.
    Xbox live was available in the original xbox, it just wasnt that popular, so again - nothing new.

Nintendo are paving the way for future technology and expanding crazy ideas into reality.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    I've preordered. They were originally supposed to be delivered on the 6th (TOMORROW) but now there's a rumour it will be the 7th after all. I really hope that's just a rumour, not just because it's sooner, but because I'll be away from home much of the 7th and might miss them...
  • Options
    icey wrote:
    Why not? The only thing separating these games from previous games is the graphics. There is nothing new and innovative about them.

Xbox live was available in the original xbox, it just wasnt that popular, so again - nothing new.

Nintendo are paving the way for future technology and expanding crazy ideas into reality.

It's not just the graphics though. The sheer number of enemies on screen in Dead Rising, the engine powering Gears of War, the engine powering Lost Planet...the sheer scale and scope of the games has soared because of the power. There's no way Gears of war could have existed on the previous consoles.

Yeah, Xbox live was on the original. But the version of the service that exists now, just wasn't. Xbox Live Arcade. the achievement point system, hi-def downloads, unified profiles...they weren't around.

I'm not saying that nintendo aren't doing anything different. I just don't think it's as totally out there and awesome as people seem to think it is. Tbh, I think Sony are being far more experimental with their eye toy interactivety.
  • Options
    Nintendo could be onto a winner if the marketing's right. It's trying to open up a completely different market, much in the same way that Sony did with the original Playstation, rather than going head-to-head with the other consoles. I would expect that it's cheaper to develop for, and there probably won't be many cross-platform games between the Wii and the others. But I think a lot of it depends on how much the third party developers put into advertising, because it won't get very far if 9/10 EA adverts are for games on Xbox and Playstation only.
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    We went looking at Wiis tonight and to see what the shops were offering. Why are they all doing the package with the stupid sports game? I don't like sports games. Why can they not offer something semi decent with the package? Not impressed :grump:
  • Options
    We went looking at Wiis tonight and to see what the shops were offering. Why are they all doing the package with the stupid sports game? I don't like sports games. Why can they not offer something semi decent with the package? Not impressed :grump:

It's because Nintendo are packaging Wii Sports with every console :razz: It's free!
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Infinite wrote:
    It's because Nintendo are packaging Wii Sports with every console :razz: It's free!
    :yes:
    You're not paying any more, just getting a game for free.
  • Options
    Infinite wrote:
    I'm not saying that nintendo aren't doing anything different. I just don't think it's as totally out there and awesome as people seem to think it is. Tbh, I think Sony are being far more experimental with their eye toy interactivety.
    They're being experimental with their marketing more than their games though. They've realised that the vast majority of people couldn't really give a shit about the number of enemies you can have on screen at once, or the detail of the graphics, they'd rather just have something they can pick up and have a go with their friends. Or that's the theory anyway. And I can see where they're coming from. When I brought my Gamecube to uni, the favourite games among my female friends (i.e. those who aren't typically targetted) was Super Monkey Ball and Soul Calibur 2 rather than Timesplitters or Tony Hawks where you have to take the time to learn a bit before you can have fun. I do think that the Wii makes it far less intimidating to people who aren't used to playing games. Whether it'll convnce these people to actually buy one, rather than just enjoy someone elses is another thing entirely.
  • Options
    They're being experimental with their marketing more than their games though. They've realised that the vast majority of people couldn't really give a shit about the number of enemies you can have on screen at once, or the detail of the graphics, they'd rather just have something they can pick up and have a go with their friends. Or that's the theory anyway. And I can see where they're coming from. When I brought my Gamecube to uni, the favourite games among my female friends (i.e. those who aren't typically targetted) was Super Monkey Ball and Soul Calibur 2 rather than Timesplitters or Tony Hawks where you have to take the time to learn a bit before you can have fun. I do think that the Wii makes it far less intimidating to people who aren't used to playing games. Whether it'll convnce these people to actually buy one, rather than just enjoy someone elses is another thing entirely.

Oh, I'm not saying that nintendo are wrong in their approach, I'm just saying that they're not necessarily right either :razz:

As a move to get more people playing their games, the Wii is genius. I'm just not sure that people who don't already play games actually want to. And I definitely don't think that the Wii is going to completely bury the other consoles.

They've also shot themselves in the foot with the pricing of their accesories. £30 for the remote is pretty steep. A Wii and all the controllers you'll need is 270 notes. For twenty quid more you can get a 360 with gears of war packed in.

Sure, a lot of people don't give a shit about graphics. But how many of them are going to buy a console? You're exactly right, people might just mooch off their friends. And you run the risk of putting off the actual game fans, the people who'll buy the games.

I'm not totally down on the Wii, I just don't think that it totally destroys the competition or is completely, outrageously different :razz: