Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Veiled woman to deliver Channel 4's Xmas message

A veiled Muslim woman will deliver this year's alternative Christmas speech on Channel 4, the broadcaster has said.
Khadija, a Zimbabwean-born British citizen who has been wearing the full veil - or niqab - for 10 years, has been given the slot.

The message will reflect a year in which the wearing of religious clothing and symbols have "dominated the news agenda", said a Channel 4 spokesman.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/6210324.stm

Good on C4! :D

*awaits the response of the Daily Express*
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Independent television is a load of shite that never does anything of worth ;)
    I find it a bit weird to be honet ut hey ho, who cares
    Kermit wrote:
    Independent television is a load of shite that never does anything of worth ;)
    :D
    Muslim to deliver Christmas message. lol
    Musllim's don't even celebrate Christmas so why does she get the hounour?

Doesn't make sense to me.
    squeal wrote:
    Musllim's don't even celebrate Christmas so why does she get the hounour?

Doesn't make sense to me.
    Probably some equal right BS.
    HIT wrote:
    Probably some equal right BS.

Yeah but that is becoming a joke. Celebrating Christmas is a British Christian celebration, it's just another day to them and we'll have to listen extra heard if anyone bothers watching it because you can't see her mouth to understand better what she is saying!
    Have you two ever seen the Channel 4 alternative Xmas message before?

The word 'alternative' should give you a clue here......
    Toadborg wrote:

The word Christ in Christmas should be a bigger clue.
    Toadborg wrote:

Yes but you would think it would be "alternatives" that actually celebrate Christmas.
    HIT wrote:

Don't be such a moron.

Past people doing it have included Marge Simpson

Its not a serious thing.
    Define "celebrating" Christmas.

Wheeling out Brenda and standing her in front of a plastic tree isn't very Christmassy either, folks.
    HIT wrote:
    Actually Christmas was a pagan festival before it was adopted by Christianity.

Millions of people who celebrate Christmas are of other religious denominations, or of none at all. Christmas can mean different things to different people, and you do not need to be a Christian to wish peace upon others, love the neighbour etc etc.

As for Channel 4, it is simply a stunt. Though one with a political message. It is a nice antidote to the bullshit we have had to put up with from some people in this country of late, not least the Nazi-racist Daily Express and its thinly-disguised campaign to have the veil banned in Britain.
    Kermit wrote:

Wheeling out Brenda and standing her in front of a plastic tree isn't very Christmassy either, folks.
    Alot of people including my father celebrate Christmas for its true meaning. I dont think its appropriate that Muslims have anything to do with a celebration of Christianity how "alternative" it might be. I cant begin to imagine if the shoe was on the other foot. Oh wait yes I can, more riots.

Just IMO
    Aladdin wrote:
    Actually Christmas was a pagan festival before it was adopted by Christianity.

Millions of people who celebrate Christmas are of other religious denominations, or of none. Christmas can mean different things to different people.

As for Channel 4, it is simply a stunt. Though one with a political message. It is a nice antidote to the bullshit we have had to put up with from some people in this country of late, not least the Nazi-racist Daily Express and its thinly-disguised campaign to have the veil banned in Britain.
    True. But its true meaning now is the birth of the son of god.
    Kermit wrote:

Christmas is a holiday in the Christian calendar, on the 25th December, which celebrates the birth of Jesus.
    HIT wrote:
    Not for me and millions of others, it is not.
    Aladdin wrote:

Are you thinking of presents instead? :p
    Aladdin wrote:
    Easter is another christian celebration, but I guess for you its all about the Easter bunny. Everyone can have there opinion on what they think about xmas, for millions its put up lights and have a good time, billions others its the true meaning there celebrating.
    Christmas is a Christian celebration and anyone who isn't a Christian has no place celebrating it.

I would allow Muslims to take the equivalent amount of time off at Eid, Hindus at Diwali, etc, but Christmas is for Christians.

It's not a case of the "true" meaning- it is the only meaning.
    Kermit wrote:
    Christmas is a Christian celebration and anyone who isn't a Christian has no place celebrating it.

I would allow Muslims to take the equivalent amount of time off at Eid, Hindus at Diwali, etc, but Christmas is for Christians.

It's not a case of the "true" meaning- it is the only meaning.

So are you saying this Muslim should not be allowed to do this speech because she does not celebrate Christmas?
    No, I'm not saying that. The Christmas message is just a message, and as I say, the Queen has got chuff all to do with it too.

If you don't believe in it you shouldn't be celebrating it, though. It's as stupid as me celebrating Eid by getting a big barrel of beer and some pork chops for tea.
    HIT wrote:

How can a "true" meaning change?

The "true" meaning of the winter celebrations is the solstice, it was hijacked by the Christian faith. Accept that and perhaps we can avoid the usual hyperbole about "winterval" etc ad nauseum
    HIT wrote:
    Easter is another christian celebration, but I guess for you its all about the Easter bunny. Everyone can have there opinion on what they think about xmas, for millions its put up lights and have a good time, billions others its the true meaning there celebrating.
    Sure. But that doesn't mean only a Christian person can have and deliver a Christmas message.

Countless heads of State, Presidents and Prime Ministers will deliver a traditional Christmas messages. Most of them will not be officially associated with the Church, and indeed some of them will not even be Christians, or even if they are will be talking about non-Christian issues. Do you think it's wrong for them to deliver a Christmas message then?
    Kermit wrote:
    You what?

So you are suggesting I shouldn't send cards to friends, have family reunions, office parties, exchange presents with loved ones and friends, try to be extra kind to others, wish peace upon my fellow men and gather together for a nice meal if I am not a Christian?

How do you work that one out, exactly?

Anyways, seeing as office parties, greeting cards, Xmas trees and decorations and exchanging presents have absolutely nothing to do with celebrating the birth of the son of God either, I trust you refuse to participate in any of those activities.
    Islam recognises Jesus as a phrophet and worships the same God as Christian's, Islam is merely an extension of christianity in the same way that christianity is an extension of Judeisum.

Isn't part of being a christian respecting other people and listening to what they have to say rather than writing them off before you've listend.

I am neither christian nor muslim yet I feel qualified (and have the degree to prove it) to comment on both.......
    Kermit wrote:

DO you go to Church at christmas?
    Are people being really dim today - it's a Muslim woman in a veil because that's seen as the biggest alternative to the Queen this year, just as in the past it was Ali G when he was seen as representing negative youth culture.

It's got nothing to do with equal rights - it's got everything to do with laughing at Christmas traditions - and good, if the evidence of what Christians believe from this thread is that everyone who doesn't worship their god should be excluded from a national celebration.
    Christmas (or at least yuletide) was once pagan, stolen by the christians.

I am neither pagan nor christian. I celebrate christmas as a time for giving and being with the family, which I think is a good enough reason.
    Jim V wrote:
    Are people being really dim today - it's a Muslim woman in a veil because that's seen as the biggest alternative to the Queen this year, just as in the past it was Ali G when he was seen as representing negative youth culture.

It's got nothing to do with equal rights - it's got everything to do with laughing at Christmas traditions - and good, if the evidence of what Christians believe from this thread is that everyone who doesn't worship their god should be excluded from a national celebration.
    It isnt going to be a laugh, its most likely going to be a rant about veils and whatnot.