Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Sleeping at boyfriend / girlfriends house

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Are you allowed to sleep in the same bed when you go to your boyfriend/ girlfriends house?

This is just something I was thinking about a few days ago. I took my boyfriend home for the first time during my uni holidays, whom I'd been going out with for about 5 months and he was surprised that my parents let him sleep in my bed.

I was 21 (am 22 now) so I didn't think it was that odd. They never said anything until a few months ago my mum made some bitter comment that they didn't really like/know him and I shouldn't have done it. Which made me feel as though I'd let my parents down or something! I guess it's cos we have a couple of spare rooms and they think he should have slept in one of them. I guess many parents have to allow it cos there's no other beds in the house.

What age do you think is reasonable? I know people who've been allowed boyfriends/girlfriends to stay in their room since they were 16 and others who will never be allowed until marriage!

I think it's different for boys, for example my boyfriend was allowed girls in his room from about 15 and my brother was from about 17. However, its only my most recent boyfriend who's been allowed to stay in my room.

Comments

• Options
    The first time I stayed at my ex's house I slept in the spare room, but the time after that I slept in his room. We were 19.
  • Options
    I stayed at my then boyfriends house (when we were both 18) most weekends and slept in his bed, his parents didnt have a problem with that. My parents didnt mind me staying at his house and while we spent a lot of time at my house, we never spent the night there. Not because my parents didnt allow it but I didnt feel comfortable having a boy in my bed with my Dad in the next room :o
  • Options
    I always had boyfriends in my bed when they stayed over. That'd be since I started having boyfriends who stayed over, so probably since about 16. I suppose my parents knew fine well we were going to be bumping nasties rather than playing Mousetrap so they preferred to just let us get on with it [rather than be woken up by creaking floorboards and scuttling in the hallway at 3am] :razz:

I've never had an experience in a fella's parents' house where they've exiled me to a spare bedroom, though obviously I don't know if they got into deep shit/were bombarded with snitty comments once I'd done one!
  • Options
  • Options
    i was quite surprised when i asked my mum whether my then boyfriend could stay over (we'd been going out about a month and it was the first time i'd asked her) when she said yes. with my elder sister she never let them till they'd been going out for a while. i guess because i was older than they were with their boyfriends. his mum didn't let him have any girlfriends stay over but i did a few times and before it was morning he just went into the spare room. i understand his mum completely though he is 24 now so i feel a bit bad for him but it was never a problem as he was allowed to stay at mine.
  • Options
    briggi wrote:
    I suppose my parents knew fine well we were going to be bumping nasties rather than playing Mousetrap so they preferred to just let us get on with it [rather than be woken up by creaking floorboards and scuttling in the hallway at 3am] :razz:

Ha I just love that phrase 'bumping nasties', makes it sound so romantic :lol: Yeah what made me laugh was my mum saying 'why did he have to stay in your room the whole night? Couldn't he just have crept down the corridor or something?' Surely that'd be worse?!My dad would never mention it cos he'd be too embarrassed bless him. Parents...weirdos :yeees:
  • Options
    Me and Craig have always slept in the same bed at eachothers houses. So I guess that's been cince we were like..17 or something.

My mum trusts me though, and we speak about everything. So even if it had been a couple of years earlier, she'd have probably given me the contraception talk and gone along with it. She knows I'm responsible.

:angel: Ahaha
  • Options
    my ex used to sleep in my bed at my house, from when she first stayed over at about... 18. I used to sleep in the living room if I stayed over at her house, right up till this year (am 21)

she stayed over at mine more that I at hers as a result.

first time she stayed over at mine my mum told me to sleep in the living room, but I "accidentally fell asleep" when I went to say goodnight to my gf :lol: so we stayed in the same bed after that, especially after I got a new bigger bed
  • Options
    My parents have always been fine with it. I think they rather we stayed in my bed and they knew where we were to do our business than out in some back alley doing it or something, and its been that way since I was 16.
  • Options
    My parents let him stay over as soon as I was ready for him to - but we had to lie to his mum and say he slept on the floor, until he got sick of it and came out and told her. We were both 16.

We only got to stop at his house after there was no choice when it was his mum's 40th. His uncle was staying over, and his uncle is (was) a lot more open minded than his mum, and made her see logic that there was no point him staying in the double bed in the spare room on his own, when Chris would have to "sleep on the floor" so I could have the single bed.

After that, she let us now and again, and once it became more regular she offered for him to have the spare room as his bedroom so we could have a double bed! That wasn't that long after the party - definetly before Chris turned 17 - so we've been sleeping together most nights ever since and we're both 18 now.

EDIT: And more recently, it's become clear they've accepted our sex lives as well. My parents, again, are quite open minded, and couldn't care less - my mum was proud of me for losing my virginity! - but Chris's parents were a little more worried, and conservative. But they openly discuss things now - just nothing so much as to say "you have sex". Best left unsaid I think. :)
  • Options
    i stay at my boyfriends house every weekend and we share a room, his parents used to have a rule where if their sons had someone over they had to give them their bed and sleep on the sofa but that kinda went out the window when i started staying....
    he never comes to mine over night because my parents wouldnt let him stay theyr quite religious so it makes them uncomfortable
  • Options
    My boyfriend has stayed the night in my bed since i was 15. I didn't really give my parents a choice.
  • Options
    when my boyfriend comes we're not allowed to stay in the same room

so we stay at cheap hotels
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote:
    when my boyfriend comes we're not allowed to stay in the same room

so we stay at cheap hotels
    thats awful that your parents would rather you pay to stay in a hotel than let youstay together under your own roof where at least they know you're safe.
  • Options
    lipsy wrote:
    thats awful that your parents would rather you pay to stay in a hotel than let youstay together under your own roof where at least they know you're safe.

They probably don't know that they do that :razz:

I'd tell them and it might make them change their minds.

Usually works.
  • Options
    lipsy wrote:
    i know, its annoying that i've got friends who are allowed to sleep in the same room and stuff. I like the privacy of going away though, since we're in a LDR.
  • Options
    We just played our respective parents off against each other.

I slept in the same bed without her telling her mum- her mum couldn't refuse after the event- and then when we went to mine I brought out the "but her mum lets us!" line.
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    We were only allowed to sleep in the same bed when we got engaged. Before then, I slept on the sofa.
  • Options
    I don't remember ever being formally allowed or asking to have boys stay over - I just did one day but I was almost 21 and had been away at university for a year....

However I don't remember it ever being that much of an issue either as no one else I knew was allowed to have boys over or stay over at thier boyfriends. Though oddly enough mixed sleep overs were allowed from the time I was 16 - though at my 16th birthday party my parents made all the boys sleep in tents in the back garden whilst all the girls got beds in the house - what fun.

I have a friend who's mum didn't let her sleep in the same room as her boyfriend until they were married even though they had been living togeather for years he was still made to sleep on the sofa (they wouldn't even let him have the spare bed!0)
  • Options
    It's never been a big issue at all for my mum. I stay at my boyfriend's most weekends and in his bed. He lives with his parents and we even had a bath together last night! Though I did feel a bit awkward with his mum watching telly downstairs but he assured me she didn't mind :blush:

Only time I remember it being a problem was when I was dating someone at 16 and in a LDR. His mum made him sleep in the living room while I slept in his bed. He did the 'I fell asleep routine' too. Oh and once he snuck me out of his bedroom window (ground floor PHEW).
  • Options
    I think it takes parents time to accept their children are having sexual relationships. I asked my mum hypothetically if she would let me and a boyfriend sleep in the same bed at her house (This was when I was 19 or something) and she said 'no' but now she seems to have no problem. My Brother and his Girlfriend stay regularly.

I think there's a big difference between allowing a boyfriend/girlfriend to stay over when you still live at home and letting you both stay over when you are visiting from your own homes somewhere else.
  • Options
    I'm soon to move in with mine, we've been together 5 years. I'm allowed to sleep over at his house, in his bed any time. He, however is not allowed to sleep over at my house (at all) unless my parents are on holiday.
  • Options
    It's never been an issue, my mum let me stop round my ex-boyfriends/him sleep round mine at the weekends since i was 15, and you know for a while we weren't even at it anyway. And now days my boyfriend hasn't gone home in about 2 and half years and my dads not said anything, so it's all good i think, ha!
  • Options
    BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    We are both allowed to stay in eachothers rooms, I dont know how I would feel if we couldnt...even if we are squished into a single bed every other weekend! :p

And i cant have sex when i know my dad is in the house, it freaks me out as our rooms are so close
  • Options
    When back at parents home during the holidays and my bf comes over, he has to sleep in the spare room...although i have stayed in the spare room with him on a number of occasions! Wouldnt try anything on though.. bit freaky knowing my parents are there and could walk in or something!
  • Options
    When I was 17/18 he stayed round mine but only after parties etc when there was usually other guys staying too so they got the spare room and the girls got my room.

When I stayed round his the first time his parents made him blow up the airbed and he was supposed to sleep on that in the lounge while I got his bed, but we moved it up to the floor in his room so we could 'natter', and from then on we always had the airbed on his floor.

He was nearly 2 years older than me and the excuse of the airbed I think made his parents happy that they weren't forcing me into bed with him and his mum could look mine in the eye and say we slept separately.

There's definitely a difference between her parents and his generally though, his will let you share a bed far more often than hers will.
  • Options
    There's definitely a difference between her parents and his generally though, his will let you share a bed far more often than hers will.

It was the opposite in my case. My boyfriend first stayed over when we'd been together about 4 months, I was 19 and he was 22. The first couple of times, Mum made up the spare room (I wanted to be a bit cautious, it was the first time I'd brought anyone home and I didn't want to push it) but he didn't actually sleep there (when we went to bed, he came into my room for a 'goodnight kiss', and I didn't have the heart to kick him out of my bed), as made patently obvious when my little brother went into his room the following morning to say hello and it was empty - kinda gave the game away! Afterwards, Mum didn't bother making up the spare bed. She probably would have been fine with us both being in my room from the beginning if I'd asked.

On the other hand, I first met his parents when we'd been together for over a year, I was 20, he was 23, and I was banished to the spare room. Even his older brother (25) and his girlfriend (28) weren't allowed in the same room at that point. We did the whole sneaking around at night thing for the next few times, but the crux came one time when I was going to be staying over at the same time as his gran. His mum gave her the spare room, and the plan was that I'd sleep in my boyfriend's bed, whilst he'd sleep on the sofa. He point blank refused, saying that his mum could tell his gran what she liked, but I was going to be in his room and so was he. And that was that. About a year later, his bed broke and he replaced it with a double.

It's funny how things change: I've now been living with him, his mum and his gran for the best part of 3 years, what was first a big issue has now completely disappeared (although I know that his family are champing at the bit for us to get engaged)!
  • Options
    My boyfriend has his own house but im not allowed stay there yet although i think my dads beginnin come round to the idea now so i think he might let me soon i cant understand why he wont let me to be honest because what does he think that we will get up to that we cant before i have to go home lol. But he is lettin me stay my boyfriends mums house with him christmas eve even though we will be sharing the same bed...the mind boggles
  • Options
    I was 15 when I had my first girlfriend and it was obviously that we sleep in the same bed.

I don't think that's odd.

It's not so easy to have sex if you are in different rooms... need to drill a hole into the wall or something... nono, keep it simple.
  • Options
    ma girlfriends parents

iv slept at ma girlfriends house a few times now (im 16) but im kinda forced to sleep downstairs like her parents are great but they dont wanna accept what we get up 2 so im a bit confused what to do :(
    has anyone gort any advice

coz my parents wont even let her sleep near me :O which kinda sucks
    but they say its coz her parents wont let me slepp near her
    help me :O:banghead: