Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Coeliac

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Does anyone have this? Here's a bit about it here:

http://www.coeliac.co.uk/coeliac_disease/130.asp

Bascically it's a gluton intolerance.

My doctor thinks this is a possibility for me, I have a lot of the symptoms but then my symptoms relate to quite a few illnesses.
I went for a blood test yesterday and I'm back at the docs in 3 weeks.

People who have it, was it really hard to adjust? How soon did you know the benefits of changing your diet?
I will be really upset if I have this, it means my whole way of eating and cooking will have to drastically change. Cooking and eating the foods I do is something I love, cooking is a hobby of mine. It basically means all I will be able to eat is fruit veg and meat. I'm worried about the lack of calcium, does anyone know if I'd be able to have calcium supplements? I heard goats' milk be an alternative.
Any knowledge from sufferers would be greatly appreciated.
I may not have this though but I'd like to prepare in case I have.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    One of the people I was living with at Uni (til I came home) and of of my school friends mums both have it.

My uni friend only found out over the summer so has been getting used to it and doing her own cooking at uni. She seems to have got it pretty much sussed and we were managing to find ways to make good versions of most things we wanted.

I don't know how long it took before she felt the improvement but and lapses she felt the consequences of pretty fast but they never lasted long.
    Firstly, here is a very useful site for anyone suffering from or potentially suffering from coeliac disease.

http://www.coeliac.co.uk/

They do a list of all gluten free food, which is updated regularly (I think it might be monthly). There's loads of it, much more than you think. The things that you can't have, like biscuits and pizza bases, there are gluten free versions of. They might take some getting used to, but they're out there, readily available in the major supermarkets. If you have coeliac disease you'll get some gluten free stuff on prescription every month too.

Coeliac disease doesn't mean you can't have milk, unless you're lactose intolerant as well.

Also, even if your blood test comes back positive, it doesn't necessarily mean you have coeliac disease. We thought Mr M might have this a few years back; his blood test came back positive for the antibodies but when they did an endoscopy there was no sign of coeliac disease.
    I saw a gluten, dairy and nut free Christmas cake in Sainburys magazine :) I'm not sure if it was Tesco or Sainsbury i saw it but they had a really big aisle section of 'intolerence' foods.
    I was tested for this a year or so back. I had to cut it out of my diet and it was kinda hard and I gave up. I'm still suffering symptoms but it's not likely to be Coeliac Disease, as my symptoms fluctuate so much, and also, cutting it out didn't help all that much. But my doctor has mentioned it again recently.

I hope you don't have it, cause it'll be hard to get used to, but I'm sure you'll manage! My doctor said that you can get all sorts, such as bread etc on prescription, so I guess that's a weight off your mind.

Also, health food shops often do a lot of gluten free products, try Holland and Barrett :)

Good Luck!
    Two of my aunts have it, and so do some of their grandchildren. There are lots more foods available to coeliacs now, so instead of munching rice cakes all the time they can have other stuff too. Both Sainsbury's and Tesco do a good range of gluten free products, and Asda smartprice chocolate is gluten free (random I know, I was suprised to see that on the back of the packet!) You can also get gluten free beer.
    Thanks for all your replies guys, very informative.

Rachie, if I'm diagnosed, my doctor says the next step will be a dietician.

My symptoms relate to quite a few things and quite frankly I don't want any! BUt there's nothing I can do accept adapt and that's what we humans do.
    rachie004 wrote:
    Are you going for the endoscopy next?

They found mine through a series of different things I had going on

Drop me a pm if you want to know anything in particular or want to ask 'daft' questions :)
    I think he said that, that would happen, yes. If it turns out that this is what I have then I'll be in touch. Thanks, loads.
    Grrr I can't wait for the day I'm diagnosed, to come. I have been im agony for2 days now. I either want to cry or scream.
    Sorry to rant, I'm looking for ways to vent other than giving myself a headache!
    Well I don't have it!
    I have high white blood cells, high platelets and high acid in my blood, so god knows, I've been referred to the general surgeons at the hospital so we shall see. I've done a bit of research and I've come up with a few scary things :nervous:
    well i guess good news that you don't have it. try not to read up you might get scared by things that you don't have. do you know how long you have to wait to see them?
    he didn't say and I didn't think to ask how longit will be. I should get a letter in the post though soon he says.
    you're right, no point reading up on things that I probably don't have.
    VinylVicky wrote:
    I've done a bit of research and I've come up with a few scary things :nervous:

Noooo, don't! You'll scare yourself half to death!

The internet is great for researching when you have actually been diagnosed, but when you're just working on symptoms it's not too accurate.

I can tap the symptoms of my mystery illness into google and diagnose myself with everything from the common cold to bubonic plague. :nervous:

If it helps, white blood cells are generally elevated because of infection, and smoking can increase your platelets, apparently, so it's not necessarily something horrible. Hope everything works out ok :)
    I know, I'm ridiculous, aren't I?! :yes:
    Just glad the ballis rolling and I'm getting somewhere.
    Thanks for the advice and well wishes peeps :D