Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Time to ban or control these TV quiz channels?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/opinion/recordview/tm_headline=ban-these-swizz-shows%26method=full%26objectid=18175534%26siteid=66633-name_page.html

ITV Play - - made an astonishing £9million in six months.

Even worse, only one in 400 callers even had a chance of getting through. They were all charged at premium rates by ITV Play, though.

I hate these channels but if they're on Sky TV it's not big deal as they have almost unlimited broadcast capacity, but when they use up the limited capacity on freeview I think they need to be removed totally... at least until 2012 when the analogue signal is turned off and there's more capacity for more channels.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    That ITV play you only win about £50 at a time, dont you?
    HIT wrote:
    That ITV play you only win about £50 at a time, dont you?

I have no idea, but I reckon those channels are praying on the most venerable people and by the looks of it they're not even fair in the way they work.

Time to get rid of them totally I reckon, certainly off freeview until there's more bandwidth available.
    Massive & predatory rip off practice that should be banned right away.

And on top of everything else it shows what utterly shit channel ITV has become, that feels the need to put that rubbish on every night.

Waste of signal.
    Did you see the shit they had on at night before then though? It was just lift music with screenshots of upcoming programmes. And then their poor excuse for news before then. If people are dumb enough to call in, then let them as far as I'm concerned. But to grant them a full extra channel just for this shit, when they're limited in number, is ridiculous. Similarly, why does Channel 4 get all it's +1 channels? Fuck them off and get a bit of Cartoon Network or Bravo on there. Even another music channel would be okay. Preferably one with a different music type though.
    Did you see the shit they had on at night before then though? It was just lift music with screenshots of upcoming programmes. And then their poor excuse for news before then. If people are dumb enough to call in, then let them as far as I'm concerned. But to grant them a full extra channel just for this shit, when they're limited in number, is ridiculous. Similarly, why does Channel 4 get all it's +1 channels? Fuck them off and get a bit of Cartoon Network or Bravo on there. Even another music channel would be okay. Preferably one with a different music type though.

the other reason they do well at night is cause people might get in late, and most probably will be tired so there's even lower chance if you do make it through that you will make a correct guess

they are effectively a lottery and thus should be tightly regulated
    they are effectively a lottery and thus should be tightly regulated

Why ? I don`t follow your "thus".
    seeker wrote:
    Why ? I don`t follow your "thus".

:confused: Read it again, but change the word 'thus' to 'so'...
    Sofie wrote:
    :confused: Read it again, but change the word 'thus' to 'so'...

So, why should a lottery be tightly regulated ?
    What do you think? Or do you think it's right that people are scammed out of loads of money? (as in, having to pay to connect to the show but not actually get through)
    Sofie wrote:
    What do you think? Or do you think it's right that people are scammed out of loads of money? (as in, having to pay to connect to the show but not actually get through)

As far as I know no-one forces me to participate in these shows.

Is it different for other individuals ?
    Perhaps you should look up the meaning of the terms 'misleading' and 'rip-off' in order to understand why such programmes should be regulated.
    Aladdin wrote:
    Perhaps you should look up the meaning of the terms 'misleading' and 'rip-off' in order to understand why such programmes should be regulated.

Have you been "misled" and/or "ripped off" by these programmes ?
    seeker wrote:

Seriously - either you can start to participate in debates or you will be fucking off - you're getting as negative and damaging as Klintock. Either join in a discussion or stop trolling.
    Jim V wrote:
    Seriously - either you can start to participate in debates or you will be fucking off - you're getting as negative and damaging as Klintock. Either join in a discussion or stop trolling.

:confused::confused::confused:

I`m discussing TV quiz channels in a TV quiz channel thread.

Please explain how that is "negative" and "damaging"
    seeker wrote:

I`m discussing TV quiz channels in a TV quiz channel thread.

Please explain how that is "negative" and "damaging"

"Because" "You" ("whatever" "you" "is") "only" "ever" "speak" "like" "a" "complete" "conspirisy" "theorist"
    seeker wrote:
    Just to give you the benefit of the doubt I'll play ball and reply. No, I haven't, but many others have.
  • Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    I'd ban them, they are nothing but legalised robbery, picking on the drunks and stupid.
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    I'd ban them, they are nothing but legalised robbery, picking on the drunks and stupid.

But in all fairness, so do kebab vans and I wouldn't ban them.
    Kebab vans don't charge you a pound fifty for every minute you're queing only to tell you that you haven't been selected to order food when you get to the front.
    Aladdin wrote:
    Just to give you the benefit of the doubt I'll play ball and reply. No, I haven't, but many others have.

Thanks for the reply. More engaging than the last one I asked for ;)

Given that you know (?) others that have, what do you think stopped you from suffering the same fate as them ?
    Renzo wrote:
    "Because" "You" ("whatever" "you" "is") "only" "ever" "speak" "like" "a" "complete" "conspirisy" "theorist"

My mate racked up a massive bill and BT put a block on all those numbers that cost ££££ because he was just phoning up second after second. Silly sod. I guess they can be addictive though.

You need price drop TV in your life :D
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:

Interesting term. Some would say an impossibility. Me ? I`m not too sure.

Have you read the article ?

Notably this :
    No wonder Labour MP Paul Farrelly asked: "Have you taken any legal advice as to whether that constitutes theft?"

Do you think he knows what he`s talking about ?
    seeker wrote:
    Thanks for the reply. More engaging than the last one I asked for ;)

Given that you know (?) others that have, what do you think stopped you from suffering the same fate as them ?
    That I know it's a rip off?

Are you going somewhere with this?
    Lots of things are "rip-offs", charging 20p to text your vote in to Celebrity Come Fever is a "rip-off", but no, I don't think it should be banned.

Caveat emptor.
    Kermit wrote:
    Lots of things are "rip-offs", charging 20p to text your vote in to Celebrity Come Fever is a "rip-off", but no, I don't think it should be banned.

Caveat emptor.

When voting on the "Honestly i'm a celeb, gizza tv career" programs, viewers are fully aware of the cost up front, and you (pretty much) know what's going on behind the scenes. The same isn't true of quiz channels.

I don't think "Caveat emptor" really applies; you're not buying a second hand car from the Friday-Ad.
    They do say that only 1 in 20 calls are successful, though, and it isn't something that is restricted just to ITV Play.

It's expensive, but if people want to waste their money like that, then so be it. The only people who would be vulnerable are children, and they should be safely tucked up in bed by the time ITV Play comes on.
    Aladdin wrote:
    That I know it's a rip off?

Are you going somewhere with this?

I was trying to BUT .....

I`ve been got at by "The Man" and told I`m not welcome around these parts.
    Christ, we're just asking you actually post your opinions for once, rather than this dreary repetative three word replies. If you don't actually want to join in a debate, why not leave it to those that do?
    Kermit wrote:

Caveat emptor.

they should tell people there's a chance they'd let noone be connected and the odds associated with it....

i don'thave a problem really with the concept, its better than nothing on TV, but they need to let people know that it is effectively a gambling system