Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Working in the Police

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I know debts affect your chances of getting in the police force but i dont have many just store cards etc but i do have a bad credit rating do you think it would be worth appling still x

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I would have thought it was worth a shot, is there not some enquiries number you can call and ask?
    It does?

It obviously doesn't effect continuing to work (and being promoted) in the police force. The POs I know have racked up stupendous debt, maybe I should inform on them :p

In answer to your question, why not apply anyway and see what happens. If you're rejected and still keen then set your mind on clearing any debts and working on your credit rating so it's a bit healthier before reapplying.
    I wouldn't have thought it would really matter. You hear of all these things that apparantly stop people getting into the Police but at the end of the day they turn a blind eye to alot of things. I used to want to join the Police for years and even when I got arrested for posession of Cannabis and I thought that I wouldn't stand a chance, a local Police officer told me that as it wasn't a significant amount and it was before I was 18 that they probably wouldn't care.
    Anyway then I realised how corrupt the Police around here are and changed my mind about my career. :)
    It's always worth a shot, you can only be told "no."

I used to be under the illusion that you had to have perfect eyesight to be in the police force, but when the policeman showed up at my boyfriends door (2 hours before we went on holiday - cheers PC Plod!) he had glasses on....
    Nikki* wrote:
    It's always worth a shot, you can only be told "no."

I used to be under the illusion that you had to have perfect eyesight to be in the police force, but when the policeman showed up at my boyfriends door (2 hours before we went on holiday - cheers PC Plod!) he had glasses on....

Lol yeah, and there's all the stuff about having to be a certain height and really athletic, one of the local pigs where I live is like 5 foot 4 or something and I've seen countless over-weight old bill.
    :no:

i'm pretty sure the height/weight restrictions have gone.
    I have always wanted to be a policeman. Good luck with it.
    Well Chris has debts and hes passed the first stages and works as a police special. So i doubt it matters.
    Applicants will have their financial status checked.

These checks are carried out because police officers have access to privileged information, which may make them vulnerable to corruption.

Applicants with outstanding County Court judgements, who have been registered bankrupt with outstanding debts, will be rejected. If you have discharged bankruptcy debts then you will need to provide a Certificate of Satisfaction with your application.

If you have any concerns, contact your chosen force for more information.

From the 'Police - Could You?' website.