Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Ready Made Salt Beef

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Anyone come across like a whole joint of beef, that's pre-salted and all you go to do is boil the thing in a bit pot of water?

My aunt who live 80 miles away gets it in her local Asda but ours don't do it.

And not seen another shop near us that does it either.

We had some at her house and it was well nice.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Does she live in an area with a sizeable Jewish population? Asda do regional stuff like this. E.g. in ours they do a lot of Asian oriented stuff which they don't do in my mum's, because there's no Asian population to speak of where she lives.
    Miffy wrote:
    Does she live in an area with a sizeable Jewish population? Asda do regional stuff like this. E.g. in ours they do a lot of Asian oriented stuff which they don't do in my mum's, because there's no Asian population to speak of where she lives.

he lives in Swindon

I'm in NW London ... I don't think Swindon is known for a large Jewish population

My dad actually made some from scratch at home but it took 10 days to make - turning it every day. Was well yummy though, but also the main ingredient is like hard to get now cos it can be used to make bombs apparently as well as for cooking.
    Swindon does actually have a Jewish community, although it's not absolutely huge...

It's a pita that you cannot get hold of stuff like that, isn't it? I've never needed saltpetre for anything, but I had a hell of a job getting citric acid a couple of years ago to make elderflower cordial because junkies use it to break heroin down to make it injectable.
    order online!
    Well in the end I just went into my local chemists every day until he ordered it for me! But I don't think that will work with saltpetre.

You can order it here. http://www.sausagemaking.org/acatalog/Saltpetre__500_grammes.html

Or you could use an alternative, like this. http://www.sausagemaking.org/acatalog/All_Purpose_Curing_Salt.html

Or just order the beef. http://www.saltbeef.com/saltbeefhome.php
    I'm in NW London ...

Try Waitrose, one I work in sells salt beef. Dunno about the other supermarkets but I'm sure some others must also sell it.

Otherwise if you're in NW London you can't be too far from Golders Green; there's a delhi on the Golders Green Rd that sells amazing salt beef sandwiches.