Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Smoke Free by 2007 July

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I'm in favour of a ban, but then I'm a non-smoker and have bad lungs, so I would be :p

I respect people's choice to smoke, as long as they respect my choice not to have to breathe it. The way it is at the moment, if I want to go out, I don't have a choice.

I also think it's sad how this debate always seems to descend into a scrap between 'disgusting and thoughtless' smokers and 'smug and self-righteous' non-smokers. Stereotypetastic.
    Briggi you are now my god (or goddess :p)

I've never burnt any toddlers, or small people or actually anyone that i know of. Short of me waving it above my head, not entirely sure where else i can hold it? :confused:
    kaffrin wrote:
    I'm in favour of a ban, but then I'm a non-smoker and have bad lungs, so I would be :p

I respect people's choice to smoke, as long as they respect my choice not to have to breathe it. The way it is at the moment, if I want to go out, I don't have a choice.

I also think it's sad how this debate always seems to descend into a scrap between 'disgusting and thoughtless' smokers and 'smug and self-righteous' non-smokers. Stereotypetastic.
    I agree with this. Not that I have bad lungs, but anyway.
    Personally my heart broke when I found out. Well not quite. I'm aware it's my own filthy habit but not to be able to enjoy sitting and have a drink and a cig makes me sad :(
    noog wrote:
    My pub's getting a huge sheltered outdoor heated area for the smokers. Most excellent :-).

wtf don't they know about global warming.
    Personally my heart broke when I found out. Well not quite. I'm aware it's my own filthy habit but not to be able to enjoy sitting and have a drink and a cig makes me sad :(

You can still smoke outdoors, and seen loads of pubs with those heaters for their outdoors

or just get one of these and smoke where you want .. :thumb:

http://www.john-bauer.com/smoking.pic.helmet.jpg

If people need their nicotine fix they could alway get chewing tobacco.

http://www.tobaccofacts.org/tob_truth/spit.html
    I'm inventing an attachment to your fag where you inhale from it and exhale into it, so no smoke is released, I'm gona make a killing
    VinylVicky wrote:
    I'm inventing an attachment to your fag where you inhale from it and exhale into it, so no smoke is released, I'm gona make a killing

You mean one of these?

4.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hookah
    I hear that snuff is making a comeback too.

TBH, there IS NO PROOF THAT PASSIVE SMOKING KILLS so until they stump up some conclusive proof, I'm going to fight this tooth and nail. From the comfort of my own home.
    yep all this passive smoking nonsense is bullshit. i mean, if you sit next to a kid breathing smoke into his/her face nonstop its obviously not gonna be good for them, but people walking down the street with a fag in their hand are 'killing' all the innocent nonsmokers? gimme a fuckin break. go have a go at frickin smack addicts instead, we know that smoking is bad for us, but we choose to do it anyway.

and what the fuck was all that toddler burning bollocks about?
    By banning smoking in pubs there somewhat trying to help people give up. As they cant just stop selling cigarettes like that, in a way there doing smokers a favour.
    HIT wrote:
    By banning smoking in pubs there somewhat trying to help people give up. As they cant just stop selling cigarettes like that, in a way there doing smokers a favour.

You obviously don't smoke.
    LacyMay wrote:
    You obviously don't smoke.
    I never saw the fun in killing myslef. ;)
    HIT wrote:
    I never saw the fun in killing myslef. ;)

Yeah forgot about that.
    HIT wrote:

Are they buggery!?!?

Leaving aside the fact that I think it's up to smokers to decide whether or not they are being done a favour with this ban... Yes it may help the so-called "social smokers" to give up (as I have already said in this thread, I'm sure) but it is merely an annoyance and extremely patronising prohibition to those who choose - and, shock horror, maybe enjoy - smoking as part of their lives.

You [as a non-smoker] can jump for joy about the smoking ban as much as you like, be my guest, but please don't presume to speak for smokers and about the supposed "favours" being done for them when you really do not have a clue and also the mere concept of prohibition as a favour is utterly preposterous. I know it is an insanely alien concept to the majority of non-smokers, but some people who smoke actually enjoy it and are not addled, weak and desperate to quit.
    lol if what that was meant for smoking with, then i wouldnt care about the fags ban!
    briggi wrote:
    Are they buggery!?!?

Leaving aside the fact that I think it's up to smokers to decide whether or not they are being done a favour with this ban... Yes it may help the so-called "social smokers" to give up (as I have already said in this thread, I'm sure) but it is merely an annoyance and extremely patronising prohibition to those who choose - and, shock horror, maybe enjoy - smoking as part of their lives.

You [as a non-smoker] can jump for joy about the smoking ban as much as you like, be my guest, but please don't presume to speak for smokers and about the supposed "favours" being done for them when you really do not have a clue and also the mere concept of prohibition as a favour is utterly preposterous. I know it is an insanely alien concept to the majority of non-smokers, but some people who smoke actually enjoy it and are not addled, weak and desperate to quit.
    I couldn't give a rats arse weather there is a smoking ban or not.

At the end of the day your killing yourself and the govermant think they are doing you a favour by placing bans in an attempt for you to think more about giving up. Period

From the view of a non smoker (even though not necessarily my view), why should a non smoker have to sit in a smoked filled room and breath the smoke in? You [as a smoker] wouldn't understand though.

I didn't know you felt so passionate about smoking anyway.
    HIT wrote:
    From the view of a non smoker (even though not necessarily my view), why should a non smoker have to sit in a smoked filled room and breath the smoke in? You [as a smoker] wouldn't understand though.

Which is what I've been trying to say all along but always got sh!t for saying it.:rolleyes:
    Because it's a free country and we can all do what we like, or not when it comes to next July.
    LacyMay wrote:
    Because it's a free country and we can all do what we like, or not when it comes to next July.
    But at what cost though? And at what effect on others around you?

There not saying you cant smoke at all, they are just stopping you from smoking when there's others around you that can become effected.
    HIT wrote:
    But at what cost though? And at what effect on others around you?

I'll be blatantly honest, i don't even give a moments thought to anyone around me when i'm smoking. Well not usually.
    LacyMay wrote:
    I'll be blatantly honest, i don't even give a moments thought to anyone around me when i'm smoking. Well not usually.
    I dont think most people do. But if you did then you would see how unpleasant it is for some.
    HIT wrote:
    I dont think most people do. But if you did then you would see how unpleasant it is for some.

I remember i had a cold last year and i didn't smoke for a week and i nearly gagged when i sat behind someone that smoked cos of the smell and the smoke. I felt a brief moment of sympathy then i got better and forgot.

I don't get why it's anyones business that i smoke. You probably inhale more car fumes.
    LacyMay wrote:
    I remember i had a cold last year and i didn't smoke for a week and i nearly gagged when i sat behind someone that smoked cos of the smell and the smoke. I felt a brief moment of sympathy then i got better and forgot.

I don't get why it's anyones business that i smoke. You probably inhale more car fumes.
    So you do have "some" feelings then and not a hard clogged up heart. lol

I dont care weather you smoke but some people dont appreciate breathing in your smoke.

As for car fumes, I probably do.
    It's not anyones business as to whether you smoke or not, but your smoke shouldn't be forcced onto anyone else.
    HIT wrote:
    So you do have "some" feelings then and not a hard clogged up heart. lol

I dont care weather you smoke but some people dont appreciate breathing in your smoke.

As for car fumes, I probably do.

But i don't care that they don't appreciate it. If i did, i would only smoke in my car or something. I should be allowed to smoke whenever and wherever i like. Why are your fresh air needs greater than mine?
    LacyMay wrote:
    But i don't care that they don't appreciate it. If i did, i would only smoke in my car or something. I should be allowed to smoke whenever and wherever i like. Why are your fresh air needs greater than mine?
    The reason this ban is coming in is because people like you dont care. You dont care if others breath smoke in or not so your now being forced to care so to speak. (no offence)

My fresh air needs are equal to everyone, your not being banned from smoking in the open air, infact you being made to smoke in the open.
    HIT wrote:
    The reason this ban is coming in is because people like you dont care. You dont care if others breath smoke in or not so your now being forced to care so to speak. (no offence)

My fresh air needs are equal to everyone, your not being banned from smoking in the open air, infact you being made to smoke in the open.

I don't see why you all just don't start smoking. It's a proven fact that non smokers whinge more and have less friends :p
    HIT wrote:
    the govermant think they are doing you a favour by placing bans in an attempt for you to think more about giving up.
    I'm sure someone's said it before but if the government really wanted to give people an incentive to give up smoking they'd ban it completely, but they won't because they're too busy reaping the benefits of the extortionate amount of tax they place on cigarettes.

Fair enough you don't want to have to sit in a smoke-filled room, and I can appreciate that, but this whole "smokers should all want to quit because they're killing themselves" thing is bullshit. If I quit, it'll be because I'm not enjoying it anymore. At the moment I'm considering it purely on the basis that I can't *currently* afford it. I couldn't care less if it's killing me or not. I'm going to die anyway, I might as well go knowing I've done what I wanted with my life and that INCLUDES smoking.

And people who complain about smoking in the street need to take a long hard look at whether one poxy cigarette is going to cause them that much damage when there are cars going past you emitting far more of those dangerous fumes than that said one cigarette is doing.
    LacyMay wrote:
    I don't see why you all just don't start smoking. It's a proven fact that non smokers whinge more and have less friends :p

Not too sure I really want to waste my money on slowly killing myself, thanks. And I've seen what it can do to people.