Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

dying hair, questions

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
over christmas i'm thinking of dying my hair a few times (and then shaving it all off).

my mum says that if i bleach my hair and then dye it different colours (ie purple, red or dark black) that my hair would start to fall out.. is it the same for those dyes that wash out in like 10 washes? could i for instance, dye my hair purple and then in 1 ~ 2 days dye it dark black and then after another 1 ~ 2 days , dye it red? i'd be shaving it all off after that.

so, to summarise, is it ok to dye your hair a few times in the one week? it wouldn't mess up my scalp or anything?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    You'll be fine! One of my mates dyes his hair weekly, often with several colours at a time. No stress!
    Good to hear, thanks! :)
    Make sure you do a skin test before dying your hair.

Out of curiousity, why are you thinking of dying you hair several times then just shaving it all off?
    depends what dyed you're using really. if you're using the semi-permanent bring purples and other mad colours they're just stains so they wont damage your hair. they don't work on hair darker than dark blonde, they're about on par with food dye.

Once you have your hair black you won't be able to go back to red unless you bleach, that will wreck your hair. If you're shaving it probably wont matter, I think it will just make your hair snap rather than fall out

You'll probably be fine, expect a few weird colours with mixing so many dyes on your head. If your scalp starts to hurt then don't do it anymore
    Nah, your hair won't fall out. Even if it did, what does it matter if you're shaving it off anyways?
    Just keep an eye on your skin on your scalp and around your hairline, that many chemicals may start to upset it.
    Your hair wont fall out just because you bleach it. It will only fall out if you leave the bleach on for too long.

If you bleach your entire hair, you can buy small bottles or pots of semi permanent dye and they will show up on the bleached hair without doing any damage.

The problem will be that they wont wash out fast enough for when you next want to dye it another colour, unless you bleach out the semi permanent stuff. This would damage your hair.

I have a few bleached ends in my long hair which i dye all sorts of colours every few weeks and my hair is in tip top condition because the semi permanent dyes only contain pigments and nothing that strips the hair. Its onlt the initial bleaching that strips anything.

intro_direct.jpg
    haircolour.jpg

I use the small tub ones (first picture) because they are thick and gloopy and conditioning.