Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Smoke Free by 2007 July

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    muse- wrote:
    unlucky.

you've spent a few years (guestimate :p) smoking publically and inconviniencing non smokers, now it's the other way round and you sulk :D

going outside isn't THAT hard, it's for the best IMO... I don't think smoking can be compared as human right infringement or something because of the damage it does to others.

Well i'll make non smokers lives hell then. I'll start committing smoke related crimes i expect. I'll go out, get pissed, then get angry that i can't smoke and terrorise non smokers. I can just see it now, they'll take the brunt of my not being able to smoke anger. And i'll have to spend more money on vitamins and warm clothes. And i'll get fat cos i'll eat to compensate.

I hardly think it's fair.
    quit then
    LacyMay wrote:
    Well i'll make non smokers lives hell then. I'll start committing smoke related crimes i expect. I'll go out, get pissed, then get angry that i can't smoke and terrorise non smokers. I can just see it now, they'll take the brunt of my not being able to smoke anger. And i'll have to spend more money on vitamins and warm clothes. And i'll get fat cos i'll eat to compensate.

I hardly think it's fair.

Sounds like giving up would be easier :p
    muse- wrote:
    quit then

Why should i?! Just cos non smokers get on their high horses and whine about it being unhealthy? Who the fuck cares!
    LacyMay wrote:
    Why should i?! Just cos non smokers get on their high horses and whine about it being unhealthy? Who the fuck cares!

well, non smokers care that they are getting fucked over by something they themselves choose not to do... I have nothing against smoking/smokers, my entire family and some friends smoke, and as long as they don't inflict it on me then i'm fine with it.

Why should you quit? .... why should you carry on? At least find a drug that actually DOES something instead of just getting rid of the stress that cravings cause.
    muse- wrote:
    well, non smokers care that they are getting fucked over by something they themselves choose not to do... I have nothing against smoking/smokers, my entire family and some friends smoke, and as long as they don't inflict it on me then i'm fine with it.

Why should you quit? .... why should you carry on? At least find a drug that actually DOES something instead of just getting rid of the stress that cravings cause.

Seriously i challenge any non smoker to smoke between 5-20 a day for 7 years then they can preach to me about "just giving up". What really irritates me about non smokers, apart from all this we're all gonna die cos i inhaled a mouthful of smoke crap, is how they all think it's just a case of stopping and that we all secretly wanna give up really. I enjoy smoking, and i like going out and drinking and smoking, it's all part of me enjoying my life. It makes me fuckin angry that people think they can dictate what i can do when they don't even know what it's like!
    I know it's addictive, writing "give up" is much easier than giving some patronising speech like " its an uphill struggle but i know you can do it!" or something gay like that :p

Give up or go outside when you want to smoke... those are the options you will have so you might aswell go for one of them. If you get angry and start moaning around about it you'll probly just end up looking like a twat! (i mean like the stuff u said u would do a few posts ago ;d)
    muse- wrote:
    I know it's addictive, writing "give up" is much easier than giving some patronising speech like " its an uphill struggle but i know you can do it!" or something gay like that :p

Give up or go outside when you want to smoke... those are the options you will have so you might aswell go for one of them. If you get angry and start moaning around about it you'll probly just end up looking like a twat! (i mean like the stuff u said u would do a few posts ago ;d)

Well i won't care about looking like a twat, as long as i'd taken down a non smoker on the way :p

I'm all for a ban in restaurants, offices and er you know other buildings that everyone uses. Why pubs and clubs though? It makes my life difficult. I don't wanna get cold, and all those smug non smokers staying warm will irritate me. I'm so getting an ASBO next year.
    Great news and I'm a smoker myself. Try going to Ireland and the craic is amazing outside pubs and clubs having a puff. Though I hate all those self righteous cunts on their high horse, I'm still gonna blow smoke in their face whilst I'm smoking outside! :D
    I suck at giving up!

But it'll make things easier.
    I agree with the ban apart from pubs and clubs being able to have a smoking room. If the government really gave a fuck about people's health they'd ban the selling of it but no there's too much money in it. So at least they could let us have a smoking room, where non smokers don't have to go in. It doesn't even have to be a mian room, I'd settle for a shed, a comfy seat and a heater.
    VinylVicky wrote:
    I agree with the ban apart from pubs and clubs being able to have a smoking room. If the government really gave a fuck about people's health they'd ban the selling of it but no there's too much money in it. So at least they could let us have a smoking room, where non smokers don't have to go in. It doesn't even have to be a mian room, I'd settle for a shed, a comfy seat and a heater.

You'd be kissing all the boys behind the shed though .. :yum:
    You'd be kissing all the boys behind the shed though .. :yum:
    even more of a reason to get one!
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    I thought that would be the case in some of the local, country pubs up north that I used to frequent but apparently there are on the spot police checks happening and on the spot fines and the stuff so the local pubs are all smoke-free as they don;t want to be fined or have a tarnished record.

I just find it hard to imagine the local pub kicking out all the old boys who smoke pipes, old boys who make up 90% of the custom. The landlord has said on a few occasions he will not support this in his pub.
    Weekender Offender 
    Does this mean that we're going to get even more inconsiderate people walking around town with their cigarettes down so low that they could easy burn a toddler? :rolleyes:
    Sofie wrote:
    Does this mean that we're going to get even more inconsiderate people walking around town with their cigarettes down so low that they could easy burn a toddler? :rolleyes:

huh! :yeees:
    Nash wrote:
    huh! :yeees:

It's just sofie and her strange opinions on smoking.
    Yerascrote wrote:
    It's just sofie and her strange opinions on smoking.

:confused: It's true though - there are so many people who just wonder around town with their cigarettes down really low and they blow smoke in my face, which means I go home stinking of smoke even when I've just spent a few hours walking around town.:yeees:
    Sofie wrote:
    :confused: It's true though - there are so many people who just wonder around town with their cigarettes down really low and they blow smoke in my face, which means I go home stinking of smoke even when I've just spent a few hours walking around town.:yeees:

Here's a tip, get off your high horse and get a life. :cool:
    Yerascrote wrote:
    Here's a tip, get off your high horse and get a life. :cool:

:confused: Well I'm sorry, but I don't see why the f*ck I should go out and expect to breathe in other peoples dirty habits and stink of smoke.
    Sofie wrote:
    :confused: Well I'm sorry, but I don't see why the f*ck I should go out and expect to breathe in other peoples dirty habits and stink of smoke.

We've been through this argument in P&D before, we showed you up and you still come back to talk shite.
    Sofie you seem to me to be very naive and intolerant of what you perceive to be other people's flaws and "dirty habits". I hope you never begin to enjoy or - heaven forbid - become addicted to anything that other people may find objectionable. Well, actually, I hope you do. Then you will see that - despite your basic arguments against smoking having some merit - your unflinching stance on such things really isn't realistic unless you want to live in an "I am right and you are wrong" society.

I assure you that most smokers are highly aware of where they hold their cigarettes, especially in crowds etc. It is offensive to the majority of smokers who are highly considerate and even often cowed by the "my shit doesn't stink" attitude and extremely accusatory attitude that is characteristic of your garden variety militant anti-smoking nazi. Especially when you are making some incredibly bizarre claim about every smoker that wanders through town brandishing their fiery cancer sticks in the faces of an innocent youngster. What an absolute load of bollocks.

eta: If we're going to attack smoking adults for endangering youngsters with their lit cigarettes then it makes far more sense to look within the home, where I'm sure far more children suffer accidental burns as a result of parents or family friends who smoke (not that I think we should bother discussing this, as life is far too short).
    briggi wrote:
    Sofie you seem to me to be very naive and intolerant of what you perceive to be other people's flaws and "dirty habits". I hope you never begin to enjoy or - heaven forbid - become addicted to anything that other people may find objectionable. Well, actually, I hope you do. Then you will see that - despite your basic arguments against smoking having some merit - your unflinching stance on such things really isn't realistic unless you want to live in an "I am right and you are wrong" society.

I assure you that most smokers are highly aware of where they hold their cigarettes, especially in crowds etc. It is offensive to the majority of smokers who are highly considerate and even often cowed by the "my shit doesn't stink" attitude and extremely accusatory attitude that is characteristic of your garden variety militant anti-smoking nazi. Especially when you are making some incredibly bizarre claim about every smoker that wanders through town brandishing their fiery cancer sticks in the faces of an innocent youngster. What an absolute load of bollocks.

eta: If we're going to attack smoking adults for endangering youngsters with their lit cigarettes then it makes far more sense to look within the home, where I'm sure far more children suffer accidental burns as a result of parents or family friends who smoke (not that I think we should bother discussing this, as life is far too short).

:thumb:

I never smoke at a bar and if I'm talking to someone who doesn't like cigarettes I hold the ciggie behind my back and blow away from them. We do know the effect we're doing is have but it's just so damn hard not to smoke, especially when ya get a lock of pints in ya! :D
    briggi wrote:
    I assure you that most smokers are highly aware of where they hold their cigarettes, especially in crowds etc.

If you really think that, then tell me why I see so many smokers with their cigarettes down by their sides?:rolleyes:
    It is offensive to the majority of smokers who are highly considerate and even often cowed by the "my shit doesn't stink" attitude and extremely accusatory attitude that is characteristic of your garden variety militant anti-smoking nazi. Especially when you are making some incredibly bizarre claim about every smoker that wanders through town brandishing their fiery cancer sticks in the faces of an innocent youngster. What an absolute load of bollocks.

I'm not saying every smoker is like that. I know of a smoker who isn't anything like that - yes, he will light up in front of people (he's done it twice when I've been out with him) but he has been considerate of where he actually smokes. (as in, when we were at his friend's house on Friday, he went outside the house and smoked)

How on earth am I 'naive' and 'intolerant'?:confused:
    Sofie wrote:
    If you really think that, then tell me why I see so many smokers with their cigarettes down by their sides?:rolleyes:

I don't know what to tell you, Sofie.

To be honest, the bottom line actually is that I'm not sure where you expect them to hold their cigarette, since down by the side of your torso is the default position for a person's hand as they walk along the street. Maybe we should encase all smokers in their own personal bubble since the wide, free open air that circulates between you and a smoker is clearly not good enough. I would imagine (though have never looked as I don't have a smoking-related bug up my arse) that when I walk along the street smoking a snout I either have it in my hand at my side or in my gob. I can assure you I have never, ever on any occasion come even close to burning a toddler's face with my lit cigarette before. I am pretty horrified at the suggestion that this is a common occurrence, which will occur more after the smoking ban. In fact this is such a ridiculous statement that I'm going to move on as I am getting quite furious about it.
    I'm not saying every smoker is like that. I know of a smoker who isn't anything like that - yes, he will light up in front of people (he's done it twice when I've been out with him) but he has been considerate of where he actually smokes. (as in, when we were at his friend's house on Friday, he went outside the house and smoked)

I am actually starting to have more and more doubts that you know many smokers at all, to be honest. I just don't find your views all that credible, and I think you have adopted a bit of a sensationalist attitude of "anti-smoking nazi #1" from central casting. But of course if that is your experience then I will have to take it as truth, and all I can say is that you have been unlucky with the overwhelming majority of smokers you have met.

I would estimate that 90% of my friends are fairly heavy and long-term smokers, they would be as horrified as I am to know they were being pinpointed as potential child abusers as they walked along the street having a puff and minding their own business.
    How on earth am I 'naive' and 'intolerant'?:confused:

I don't know how to explain "how" you are naive and intolerant, it is just the considered view I have of you from your limited and fairly consistently naive input to several recurrent debates... you should probably tell me why you are so unable to live and let live (and no "smokers give everyone cancer" quips here, thanks). I guess it's because you're swept along on a wave of youthful inexperience of the less than peachy side of life and less than fragrant personal habits people develop. I guess you might relax a little in your views as you get older and gain more experience with the myriad different people that inhabit the world. I know I had a lot of staunch views when I was younger, too, which I happily replaced with a lovely patronising streak ;)
    briggi wrote:
    I am actually starting to have more and more doubts that you know many smokers at all.

Why? Considering that about half of my friends/friends partners smoke and relatives smoke. (and my dad smoked when I was younger)
    Because the majority of smokers are NOT as you describe, I point blank refuse to accept that they are because it is untrue and defamatory to say the least. I refuse to let "smokers" be painted like this without at least attempting to fight their corner. So as I said you must be hugely unlucky with allll the ones you know, the overwhelming majority of smokers have never endangered the precious skin of a toddler with their cigarette and would go a million miles out of their way to ensure that they never did.

The alternative is that you must be hypersensitive to smoke, both physically and otherwise. Sorry to make this your problem rather than the smokers', but I'd say it is. I'm gobsmacked you aren't happy with a ban indoors and are now looking to ostracise poor fuckers walking along the street. Where does it end?
    i'll never be able to smoke in a pub/club ever:( (which is legal anyway)
    that sucks:(
    i'm not a massive smoker but i want to do it once just, cause...
    i kinda like the smell of smoke in my hair and clothes, always have done since i was little. i'm not sure why, just something about it makes it homely hehe
    briggi wrote:
    Because the majority of smokers are NOT as you describe, I point blank refuse to accept that they are because it is untrue and defamatory to say the least. I refuse to let "smokers" be painted like this without at least attempting to fight their corner. So as I said you must be hugely unlucky with allll the ones you know, the overwhelming majority of smokers have never endangered the precious skin of a toddler with their cigarette and would go a million miles out of their way to ensure that they never did.

I'm NOT unlucky with all the smokers I know. It's not my fault that I think it's a disgusting habit and can't stand the smell of it. (or what it did to my dad)
    I do see this ban as stripping away rights, I do see it as a lack of compromise which would have been a perfect solution

Perfect answer right there.

They've gone through a very poorly thought out intermediate phase of having pubs displaying stickers about where they allow smoking to total ban.

What burns me up, no pun intended, is the fact that they didn't even want to try and reach a compromise.

More of the fucking nanny state telling us what, where and when we should and shouldn't be doing stuff and not giving people a damn say about it. Hold a referendum or something or just leave the whole thing up to the individual premeses. Just shows how out of touch the cocks in Westminster are with things.

Perhaps if there actually existed any conclusive proof that passive smoking is any worse than, say, walking the streets of any town or city, then perhaps I wouldn't be 100% against the ban.

EDIT: P&D anyone?